Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Woman jailed for fake rape story.

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

sweetcheekscouture wrote:

That is what he and some others on this site say to any women who are strong, opinionated, educated, call out misogyny when we see it or disagree with them.

If we do so they question our sexuality and or say we hate men.

Inconceivable that some women are educated, have their own minds, still love men, love their daddies but disagree with them.

Inconceivable.

Injustice is injustice -- if you want to even up the scales I would think you would want to focus on the injustice that occurs more frequently

Here are some more stats and I am sure that they will vary according to the source and how you quantify them
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/st … ting-rates

https://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blind_justice.jpg

Jul 07 13 12:42 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

T A Y L O R  wrote:

Or just disagree with the fact they run the world. I love and respect my boyfriend. Guess what... he's a feminist, too! I love all my guy friends, too. Guess what- they're also feminists! "Men" are awesome, it's the patriarchy that blows.

I know! Literally ALL of my close friends are men. Plus,  I'm a total daddy's girl. My dad is one of the most amazing, fearless, and genius people I know. I love guys, I just don't love patriarchy or patriarchal thinking.

Jul 07 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

That is what he and some others on this site say to any women who are strong, opinionated, educated, call out misogyny when we see it or disagree with them.

If we do so they question our sexuality and or say we hate men.

Inconceivable that some women are educated, have their own minds, still love men, love their daddies but disagree with them.

Inconceivable.

Injustice is injustice -- if you want to even up the scales I would think you would want to focus on the injustice that occurs more frequently

Here are some more stats and I am sure that they will vary according to the source and how you quantify them

So you feel that you are free to use a nasty, untrue label when you disagree with someone!

Jul 07 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Elizabeta Rosandic wrote:

Amen to that. Of course, what political stance isn't these days?

Evidently, nothing.  Even Personism is taken.  Bah!

Jul 07 13 12:46 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

So you feel that you are free to use a nasty, untrue label when you disagree with someone!

What label are you speaking of?

The guy in question implied to me that I hated men because of the statistics I was citing and the reasons why I disagreed with his argument. Wouldn't you agree that that's a pretty nasty label for him to use?

Jul 07 13 12:47 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

lol, are you seriously complaining about someone calling out sexism? This is like when that Supreme Court judge complained about not being able to persecute the LGBTQ community. "You're taking away my right to discriminate!! Wahhh!!!"

Jul 07 13 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

If there ever was a time when a forum thread was hijacked, this is it.

The thread topic was about a woman falsely accusing a man, who is a taxi driver, of assault. That's what the thread is about.

Amazing!

Jul 07 13 12:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Who did I label?

Look at the third post down -- go to the link. There is your hijack.

I would also say that there may be other elements involved as to why the girl was believed over the taxi driver and they don't all have to do with gender.

Jul 07 13 12:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

Andialu wrote:

https://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blind_justice.jpg

Ok so according to the cite ( since I know many people will not open the link)

3 out of 100 rapists ever spend a day in prison.

So yes I agree with your gif.

Jul 07 13 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It is time to leave because this thread is turning into a Soapbox thread!

Jul 07 13 12:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

Bare Essential Photos wrote:

Yes, women are well aware of the double standards between them and men. There are many men who are victims of women.

If a man accuses a woman of assault, at most the woman is questioned. If a woman accuses a man of assault, he's arrested.

And this is not true. I know of cases where women have been arrested for assaulting their husbands, boyfriends, etc.

Heck, you can even see it on cops.

On the other hand, I know of a man that assaulted a pregnant woman and the woman declined to press charges.

The man was not arrested.

Blanket statements are usually inaccurate.

Jul 07 13 01:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
It is time to leave because this thread is becoming a Soapbox thread!

true

Probably time to move convo to Facebook because this will probably be locked

Jul 07 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Ok so according to the cite ( since I know many people will not open the link)

3 out of 100 rapists ever spend a day in prison.

So yes I agree with your gif.

How are they supposed to get prison time if it is never reported? And given that they aren't reported why do you assume that the guy is guilty considering he was never given his day in court? You just take their statements as fact?

Jul 07 13 01:13 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Andialu wrote:
How are they supposed to get prison time if it is never reported? And given that they aren't reported why do you assume that the guy is guilty considering he was never given his day in court? You just take their statements as fact?

That's just the point. We have a bunch of rapists walking around on the streets who will likely be repeat offenders with no consequences. That's a problem.

Also, the statistics concerning how many rapes go unreported are from many reputable rape support centers/groups and the FBI.

Jul 07 13 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Andialu wrote:

It certainly throws some of the statistics being thrown around into question.

Jul 07 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

That's just the point. We have a bunch of rapists walking around on the streets who will likely be repeat offenders with no consequences. That's a problem.

Also, the statistics concerning how many rapes go unreported are from many reputable rape support centers/groups and the FBI.

If rapes are not being reported how do we how many happened.   Look, I get it.   I have daughters but  I also remember the Duke Lacrosse case.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case    I think back to a young Black man jailed five years over a lie:   http://madamenoire.com/270439/remember- … a-falcons/   In the first case.   Members of this site were convinced the Duke players were guilty.   In the second a man lost five years of his life over a lie and in the one the OP has linked.   Had that man not recorded what happened he could very well have gone to prison.   Is that what you want?   A bunch of innocent men walking around in jail?   I agree that women have it rough.   Men abuse and assault and murder them the world over.

However thats not what this thread was really about.   One women lied on one man and was imprisoned for it.   A broader discussion is Soap Box and that's not allowed anymore.

Jul 07 13 01:29 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
If rapes are not being reported how do we how many happened.   Look, I get it.   I have daughters but  I also remember the Duke Lacrosse case.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case    I think back to a young Black man jailed five years over a lie:   http://madamenoire.com/270439/remember- … a-falcons/   In the first case.   Members of this site were convinced the Duke players were guilty.   In the second a man lost five years of his life over a lie and in the one the OP has linked.   Had that man not recorded what happened he could very well have gone to prison.   Is that what you want?   A bunch of innocent men walking around in jail?   I agree that women have it rough.   Men abuse and assault and murder them the world over.

However thats not what this thread was really about.   One women lied on one man and was imprisoned for it.   A broader discussion is Soap Box and that's not allowed anymore.

For the gazillionth time- NO ONE IS DEFENDING WHAT THIS WOMAN DID. Furthermore, the man in question was not imprisoned. He was arrested, and the charges were dropped.

The statistics can be found from the number of rape kits used at hospitals or from people who go to rape support centers but do not press charges.

As stated many, many, times before in this thread, the number of those falsely accused is very small.

Jul 07 13 01:51 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yup, false accusations happen to a lot of people for a lot of things. People are unfairly persecuted all the time whether it be for rape or something else.

What I'm more concerned about is the number of actual rapes that go unreported- something like 80%. That means we have a lot of rapists walking around who've gotten away with their crime and are likely to be repeat offenders due to such.

I was in a long-term relationship, about ten years ago, with a man who was sexually assaulted by another man he worked with. He refused to report it, even though he started drinking and partying a lot afterward, was obviously fucked up over it, but too embarrassed to go to a therapist either. I ended up telling his step-father, who sent some big, scary-looking biker dudes to rough up the assaulter pretty badly. The man quit his job there almost immediately. My boyfriend was very angry at me for a long time, but the person would have probably done it again - maybe has, since then. We broke up the following year, and the incident had clearly hurt him in a long-term, emotional way.

People also forget that men get raped too, and do not report their rapes. There are a lot more unreported rapes than we can even estimate, I think.

Jul 07 13 01:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

If you would like to see where the statistics are coming from the origin of the cites are sourced under the charts

References

Justice Department, National Crime Victimization Survey: 2006-2010
FBI, Uniform Crime Reports: 2006-2010
National Center for Policy Analysis, Crime and Punishment in America, 1999
Department of Justice, Felony Defendents in Large Urban Counties: average of 2002-2006
Department of Justice, Felony Defendents in Large Urban Counties: average of 2002-2006

If you would like to further clarify the statistics you would have to go to the original source and look at how they gathered their information.

No one is saying what that girl did was right. She was dead wrong.  But to turn around and say that this is common is not supported by statistics.

Jul 07 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry, was he charged? Oh wait, no he wasn't. So his life is far from ruined.

Someone else in this thread mentioned that according to the FBI's records about 8% of rape/domestic violence accusations are false. That means 92% are not. Add that to the 80% of rapes that go unreported and you have a lot of rape, and a lot of unconvicted rapists walking around- and statistics show that rapists are the most likely of criminals to be repeat offenders.

I'd say that's a pretty big problem we have on our hands.

I still have yet to see a source cited for these numbers of 92% and 8%.. just someone said so..

Jul 07 13 02:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

Koryn Locke wrote:

I was in a long-term relationship, about ten years ago, with a man who was sexually assaulted by another man he worked with. He refused to report it, even though he started drinking and partying a lot afterward, was obviously fucked up over it, but too embarrassed to go to a therapist either. I ended up telling his step-father, who sent some big, scary-looking biker dudes to rough up the assaulter pretty badly. The man quit his job there almost immediately. My boyfriend was very angry at me for a long time, but the person would have probably done it again - maybe has, since then. We broke up the following year, and the incident had clearly hurt him in a long-term, emotional way.

People also forget that men get raped too, and do not report their rapes. There are a lot more unreported rapes than we can even estimate, I think.

I would imagine it might be even more difficult for a man to come forward.

Jul 07 13 02:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

DAVfoto wrote:

I still have yet to see a source cited for these numbers of 92% and 8%.. just someone said so..

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/crimpr … pe_st.html
Here's one source that says it is closer to 2%

In line with other false allegations of crime

Jul 07 13 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

For the gazillionth time- NO ONE IS DEFENDING WHAT THIS WOMAN DID. Furthermore, the man in question was not imprisoned. He was arrested, and the charges were dropped.

The statistics can be found from the number of rape kits used at hospitals or from people who go to rape support centers but do not press charges.

As stated many, many, times before in this thread, the number of those falsely accused is very small.

I don't know if those falsely accused represent a small number but I think we can all agree that one innocent man in prison is one too many and one woman assaulted is one too many.   In the case the OP linked to which again is the topic a woman lied and a man was arrested.   She's a attractive woman and he is a ethnic minority and  based on his name Muslim.   Had it not been for his phone he would have been convicted.   Just like hundreds of Black men in the south accused by White woman of rape.   See we can all talk about marginalization.   Again that Muslim man would have gone to prison had he not had proof.   Is that fair in your mind?   Was it fair that a football player did five years.   What about Gary Dotson?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Dotson

Here's some sobering truth.   The average victim of sexual abuse is male:   http://www.childluresprevention.com/res … rofile.asp   These boys often grow up to victimize others.   In any event I think that women the world over had a horrible way to go.   Men take advantage of them and kill them.   The recent assaults in India of female tourists comes to mind but this thread is about what one foll did in the UK and not a broader discussion of abuse of women.

Jul 07 13 02:21 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Seattle, Washington, US

No Elizabeth, the insinuation here is that women go to rape support centers for funsies to fuck with FBI stats. Because WHY ELSE WOULD A WOMAN GO TO A RAPE SUPPORT CENTER.

Jul 07 13 02:34 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I don't know if those falsely accused represent a small number...

According to the FBI it's about 8% of all reported incidents of rape/domestic violence.

Jul 07 13 02:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I don't know if those falsely accused represent a small number but I think we can all agree that one innocent man in prison is one too many and one woman assaulted is one too many.   In the case the OP linked to which again is the topic a woman lied and a man was arrested.   She's a attractive woman and he is a ethnic minority and  based on his name Muslim.   Had it not been for his phone he would have been convicted.   Just like hundreds of Black men in the south accused by White woman of rape.   See we can all talk about marginalization.   Again that Muslim man would have gone to prison had he not had proof.   Is that fair in your mind?   Was it fair that a football player did five years.   What about Gary Dotson?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Dotson

Here's some sobering truth.   The average victim of sexual abuse is male:   http://www.childluresprevention.com/res … rofile.asp   These boys often grow up to victimize others.   In any event I think that women the world over had a horrible way to go.   Men take advantage of them and kill them.   The recent assaults in India of female tourists comes to mind but this thread is about what one foll did in the UK and not a broader discussion of abuse of women.

I think you are right about that Tony. I think that as I said earlier it was more than just gender that made the police initially believe the accuser.

Jul 07 13 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

"Men's Rights"???

Oh dear god.

lol

Jul 07 13 02:49 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Correction: Mohammed Asif was " stripped and spent a day in a cell until officers  eventually listened to the recording and discovered  Berwick was lying." Additionally the police raided his house after searching his taxi and not finding the alleged weapon. So while he may not have received a lengthy prison sentence the fact of the matter remains that that he shouldn't have spent a second in jail at all since his cell phone was with him when he was stopped and the police could have handled the matter on the scene by handcuffing him and putting him in the back of their patrol car while they listened to the tape.

Beyond that I'll avoid any commentary regarding rape statistics and their accuracy as there's a lot of controversy surrounding their veracity for a wide array of reasons.

What Astria Berwick did was wrong. Period. Her behavior and behavior similar to it, is part of what makes prosecuting sexual assault cases so difficult in the first place and these matters are only skewed further in instances where their isn't evidence or where the offender is a female...

Jul 07 13 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Let's review the subject of this thread:

Mohammed Asif was victimized by a sociopathic self-mutilating predator, by false accusations of rape.

He saved himself and proved his innocence with evidence on his smart phone.

---

It would sadden me if this turns into an "all men are assholes" thread.

Agreed! 

It is sad that some people don't realize that Soap Box was closed for a reason, yet they go on with their agenda as if it were not.   Can't we all try to get along?

Jul 07 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I thought Soap Box was closed?  hmm

SB is closed but quite frankly this thread parallels a number of the threads that appear on this site frequently....particularly the escort threads vs the "models have you really experienced something bad on this site or isn't really it all in your pretty little head" threads.

Again, this isn't terribly surprising to me since most of the models being pursued on the site are females (young ones at that) and most of the most active and public members on this site are male photographers (older ones at that). 

Most of the photography on this site ranges from glamour to fetish to nudes and of course adult (which is only accessible once one meets with a model one on one and the photographer senses she'd be open to it.)

It's probably a good idea for these threads to exist because it gives models a good snapshot into the mindset of many photographers on this site.

Jul 07 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Patchouli Nyx wrote:
SB is closed but quite frankly this thread parallels a number of the threads that appear on this site frequently....particularly the escort threads vs the "models have you really experienced something bad on this site or isn't really it all in your pretty little head" threads.

Again, this isn't terribly surprising to me since most of the llamas being pursued on the site are females (young ones at that) and most of the most active and public members on this site are male photographers (older ones at that). 

Most of the photography on this site ranges from glamour to fetish to nudes and of course adult (which is only accessible once one meets with a llama one on one and the photographer senses she'd be open to it.)

It's probably a good idea for these threads to exist because it gives llamas a good snapshot into the mindset of many photographers on this site.

Also some llama's mindset!

Jul 07 13 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Also some model's mindset!

true as well!

so I hope these threads don't get shut down because there is actually heated discussion.

As long as it doesn't devolve into personal attacks, these issues exist and it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend they don't.

Jul 07 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

This is great - SoapBox is back, and with at least two mods participating, clearly okay.

This should please many people.

I have strong opinions on this topic, but they'd surely turn this into a heated debate that would break the site's rules, so I'd best simply express that I'm pleased that no innocent person spent more than one day in jail and leave it at that.

Jul 07 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Also some model's mindset!

Yes. All these models are out to get unsuspecting photographers.

Jul 07 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Chicchowmein wrote:
Yes. All these models are out to get unsuspecting photographers.

Aha, I KNEW IT!!

Sooo is there like a sign-up sheet or something?

tongue

Jul 07 13 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Very interesting!

I didn't realize my simple posting of a rights group would turn an already soapbox thread into a serious soapbox thread.

I'm not going to participate further in this thread because the soapbox is closed, and I think a number of people here are violating the rules MM's put forth about said topics.

I will say I find it very interesting that some people ask for equal rights for group A but then find the notion of others doing it laughable.

I think equality belongs to everyone.

Jul 07 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Sophistocles wrote:
This is great - SoapBox is back, and with at least two mods participating, clearly okay.

This should please many people.

I have strong opinions on this topic, but they'd surely turn this into a heated debate that would break the site's rules, so I'd best simply express that I'm pleased that no innocent person spent more than one day in jail and leave it at that.

This topic is being discussed here if you want to give your honest thoughts..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MayhemSB/

scroll down a bit and you'll see the topic and a lovely pic of the psycho woman that was arrested.

Jul 07 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
Very interesting!

I didn't realize my simple posting of a rights group would turn an already soapbox thread into a serious soapbox thread.

I'm not going to participate further in this thread because the soapbox is closed, and I think a number of people here are violating the rules MM's put forth about said topics.

I will say I find it very interesting that some people ask for equal rights for group A but then find the notion of others doing it laughable.

I think equality belongs to everyone.

Men have been calling the shots for years.

They are hardly oppressed.

IMO your crazy link is what hijacked the thread.

What that girl did was wrong, wrong, wrong. You have to be pretty flipping crazy to cut your face and accuse someone of rape over a cab fare.

That she was believed so readily over the cabdriver to me is more than just a gender issue BUT the man was exonerated and the accuser was convicted of filing a false charge and is doing time.

Justice was served.

Jul 07 13 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

DP

Jul 07 13 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Lumatic wrote:

Aha, I KNEW IT!!

Sooo is there like a sign-up sheet or something?

tongue

Of course

But you have to know the secret handshake

and you get a secret decoder ring so you can understand textspeak.

Jul 07 13 06:10 pm Link