Forums > Critique > Come one and all! Critique my portfolio!

Photographer

LA Pride Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I just put on my "big boy pants" and am ready for some honest feedback on my port. Thank you for your time smile

Jul 08 13 12:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Grin Without a Cat

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Overall I think the shots in your port are decent.  Not outstanding, but not entry-level either.  My biggest critique at this point would be the disconnect between what you say in your profile and what I see in your port.
I guess everyone has their own definition of edgy, but for me girls doing stock poses in their underwear just isn't.
My advice:  really spend some time developing the concept of what you want to do and then pay to dress some locations and pay to get some really creative models.  You will get shots that clearly reflect your vision that way.

Cheers!

Jul 08 13 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Batz Photography

Jul 08 13 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

LA Pride Photography

Sorry, I responded with my main account. I agree with you though. I will have to edit the "About me" section of my profile as my original idea for this port went in a different direction after not being able to get the models that I wanted for certain concepts I had in mind. I may have to pry open my wallet to get those models though. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Grin Without a Cat wrote:
Overall I think the shots in your port are decent.  Not outstanding, but not entry-level either.  My biggest critique at this point would be the disconnect between what you say in your profile and what I see in your port.
I guess everyone has their own definition of edgy, but for me girls doing stock poses in their underwear just isn't.
My advice:  really spend some time developing the concept of what you want to do and then pay to dress some locations and pay to get some really creative models.  You will get shots that clearly reflect your vision that way.

Cheers!

Jul 08 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Flat lighting & poor composition.    And why would you pose a model at such a crappy location

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130617/01/51bec9c7636d7_m.jpg

Your work just looks like poorly done snap shots without any thought or planning.

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Jul 08 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Surreal Focus

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The only one I find interesting in any way is this one,

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130707/00/51d9141160088.jpg

and the reason for that is that the model seems relaxed, she is giving you an engaging look and she is not forcing a pose.  It's almost like you took the shot just before or after you started the 'real' photoshoot.  Sorry, the rest of the work does nothing for me.  I suggest finding photographers you admire and trying to see if you can imitate their work. Paying particular attention to quality of light, framing and the poses and expressions you are getting from the model.

Jul 08 13 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

LA Pride Photography

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will take your suggestions and work on the flaws.

Jul 08 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Faulty Focus

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

You have terrific llamas in your portfolio and lots of potential. Any issue here is not the llamas fault. Composition, lighting and details in the pose's and background will help.

For example, the pole dancer shot. The background is very distracting to start with.

The llama laying on the leather sofa, her feet are all twisted and weird which draws the viewers eyes to that.

Many of your shots are cropped wide and the subject centered. So you have a lot of dead space and if you pay more attention to the crops, you will find this can bring more life to your images.

Jul 15 13 11:19 am Link