Forums > General Industry > Shooting non-models

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Balikpapan, Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia

Hey people,

I am currently working in Indonesia (Kalimantan Timur) for at least one year and I am planning to shoot a few people here.

There are only two or three models in my city registered on MM, so obviously after a few online searches I believe I would have to shoot non-experienced models - or more exactly people who are usually not modelling.

Thus, I am willing to propose people I can meet to shoot with me. Any tips to ask this ? I am not willing to sound like a weird guy desperately trying to have a girlfriend or to imply anything else than just shooting for art (I am not willing to shoot nudes, btw).

So yeah, any tips or recommandations etc. in order to present my work to someone ? Do you think I can propose this to people I don't know (like, IDK, I'm seeing someone in a bar/place/whatever and say "hi, im a photographer, do you want to shoot with me") ?

Thanks a lot by advance,

Valenten
http://www.valentenphotography.com

Jul 11 13 03:29 am Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Coral Springs, Florida, US

Do you have a business card? Start the conversation by handing that to someone you would like to shoot. Say you are a photographer and you would be interested in setting up a shoot with them. Since you don't want to shoot nude work explain what you are looking to shoot. Casual fashion on location. (I would assume) Give a brief description of your idea.

If the person is interested they now have your contact information where they can get a hold of you.

Jul 11 13 05:02 am Link

Model

Axioma

Gent, East Flanders, Belgium

Bring a business card, examples of your work and have a good website up they can check later. Be polite, keep enough distance and don't be pushy. Let them know they can contact you later if they thought about it and are still interested.

Jul 11 13 05:03 am Link

Model

Love_mya

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Maybe try going along to events like weddings and handing our your business cards?.. join local photography classes or maybe browse other photographers on here and ask them to recommend local models to work with?..

Jul 11 13 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Oh, thanks a lot for your cool answers.

Indeed I have some business cards but I ended up almost never using it coz I am usually getting in touch with people on Internet first.

Good advices over there. So maybe I should just give an overview of a photoshoot, and say "if you're interested, just contact me here" ? In other words, I should not expect immediate answer ?

And, @love_mya, yeah I tried searching online even in the local langauge but 1/ I don't speak Bahasa Indonesia well enough (only here since 3 months) and 2/ anyhow it didn't return interesting results. I am not in a city with a lot of models.

Valenten

Jul 11 13 08:30 am Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

There are only two or three models in my city registered on MM, so obviously after a few online searches I believe I would have to shoot non-experienced models - or more exactly people who are usually not modelling.

Because the only people who model anywhere are all on MM?
There are barely any people registered in south Korea, something like 70 and most of them really aren't that active, but the country is absolutely bursting with models.
Someone in Indonesia is modelling. I can guarantee it. You obviously just aren't hitting the right searches. Do you speak the local language?

Jul 11 13 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

good point, however I also run researches for my city in local language and I clearly had no result. It also seems there's no big indonesian network website for models, even though maybe I didn't find it (I asked somewhere else on this forum, too, before leaving France).

So yeah, in Indonesia there are probably a lot, but in Balikpapan I'm more doubtful when it comes to model with a few experiences (and who actually are sharing their work). However I already met a girl who had already done several photoshoots but she is not promoting at all her "modeling" work (in other words : pure randomness that i met her)

Valenten

Jul 11 13 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Valenten Photography wrote:
There are only two or three models in my city registered on MM, so obviously after a few online searches I believe I would have to shoot non-experienced models

Just being on MM is no guarantee of experience or ability.  About half of the models I work with are not on MM and many are what you might regard as inexperienced but they perform well.

The most important thing is to have samples of your work at your fingertips, and possibly also samples of the work of others that you would like to emulate - smart phones to the rescue!

Jul 11 13 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Just ask people.  If you've got an older, unique camera(large format and TLRs work great for this), people will start the conversation with YOU, and it's pretty easy from there.

Personally, I strongly prefer photographing non-models.  With very few exceptions, my best portraits have all been non-models.

Jul 11 13 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Love_mya wrote:
Maybe try going along to events like weddings and handing our your business cards?..

Tacky

Jul 11 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jul 11 13 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

name removed3

Boston, Massachusetts, US

biz cards are your golden ticket

Jul 11 13 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Thanks everyone smile !!

natural beauties of qld wrote:
Just being on MM is no guarantee of experience or ability.

Yeah, but outside of MM/Internet it requires direct connection with the person. I mean, I have assurance but I'm trying to find ways to propose a shooting to someone who is not into this kind of business at all (even though she might like it, but before talking I cannot know lol ^^)

The most important thing is to have samples of your work at your fingertips, and possibly also samples of the work of others that you would like to emulate - smart phones to the rescue!

Yeah, what do you suggest ? Would pictures on my phone be okay ? Because if I meet people in, say, a bar or a mall the probability I have a paper portfolio with me is low... Not easy to carry sometimes, I guess.

NicoleNudes wrote:
Reading this might help:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=897226

Oh yeah, I didn't see that one when I created my topic. Thanks.

Valenten

Jul 12 13 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Just being on MM is no guarantee of experience or ability.

Yeah, but outside of MM/Internet it requires direct connection with the person. I mean, I have assurance but I'm trying to find ways to propose a shooting to someone who is not into this kind of business at all (even though she might like it, but before talking I cannot know lol ^^)

Facebook is a great way to hook up with models and most large cities have fb groups of models.

If you are willing to pay, sites like Craig's List (US) or Gumtree (Aust) provide access to models - just lodge and ad for a casual job for a model.  About 90% of applicants will probably not be serious, but I have met some excellent models via those channels.

Would pictures on my phone be okay ?

Pictures on a phone are fine.

Jul 12 13 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Thank you for these advices smile

Jul 13 13 04:42 am Link