Forums > Photography Talk > How do you become a good photographer?

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Atget or Lartigue ?

You can study, and do one thing exceptionally well; or you can study, and do (seemingly) everything really well.

In "The Arts" (whatever they are) there is much emphasis placed on finding one's own "voice"; the uniqueness that sets one apart from the rest. "Saying" something new or in a new way, is highly prized.

Imitation, followed by study, followed by invention are probably the key steps, but always doing something. There's no shame in imitating some style and excelling at it, but it's probably more "craftsmanship" than "artistry". But in "The Arts" that's disparaged because one goal of "The Arts" is to be unique.

Then again, wft do I know?

Jul 14 13 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

North Richland Hills, Texas, US

Light Writer wrote:
Atget or Lartigue ?

You can study, and do one thing exceptionally well; or you can study, and do (seemingly) everything really well.

In "The Arts" (whatever they are) there is much emphasis placed on finding one's own "voice"; the uniqueness that sets one apart from the rest. "Saying" something new or in a new way, is highly prized.

Imitation, followed by study, followed by invention are probably the key steps, but always doing something. There's no shame in imitating some style and excelling at it, but it's probably more "craftsmanship" than "artistry". But in "The Arts" that's disparaged because one goal of "The Arts" is to be unique.

Then again, wft do I know?

It may be stupid but this is exactly why I'm self taught, I didn't want to be influenced by what others liked. However I'm finding myself at a level that is hard to get past.

Jul 14 13 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Andrei Ivan

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

You have 3 (maybe 4) magic bullets in photography (talking very broadly here, applies to most branches of photography):

1) Subject

2) Light

3) Composition

4 - Prime lenses

Pretty much in that order.

If you have a beautiful/visually interesting subject you'll be making good (not great) images, even if you aren't a great photographer. I'm talking here about tall jaw-dropping models vs the average looking girl, I'm talking about breathtaking landscapes vs the back yard, war photography vs photographing the local football match... you get the idea.

Light. Light can makes or break an image. Learn to see and understand light. Learn to find the best light when shooting available light or learn to light properly using artificial lighting (flash, strobes, etc).

Composition - Study (old masters' paintings are great) and practice (play a lot with different compositions), rule of thirds is a good start.

Good prime lenses are superior in every way to the zooms most people use. Extra bonus they are lighter and usually cheaper (the middle of the road ones usually are very cheap and still pretty good). They will give you more light, more separation for your subject, they will slow you down and make you think about your composition and they'll also force you to change your distance to your subject so you change perspective.

Jul 14 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

When I find out, I'll let you know.

Jul 14 13 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Yugoboy

Rochester, New York, US

A lot of the question you're asking has to do with choosing what kind of images you want to be good at.  It's entirely different approaches for different types of shots.

The most depressed about photography I ever got was while looking at a book of shots a taxi driver took by just pointing his camera out the window and clicking as he drove.  Obviously a lot of culling was involved, but the skill of the "artist" behind the lens was almost nil.

If you want to shoot models well, take advice and copy styles from people who do work you admire.  Do you want to do fashion or something else?  They're different in terms of mindset when approaching the shoot.  I'm still trying to find my own way when it comes to models.  I'm approaching it, for the moment as a photoshopper.  I'm mentally picturing different shots than are the people who shoot nudes on seamless. 

I'm currently trying to create images in front of the camera I'd otherwise have to find 15 different source images for when sitting at the computer.

If you want to shoot sports, weddings, news, portraits or catalogs, the technical knowledge (camera, lighting, etc.) is the same, but the ways you go about shooting, planning a shoot (or not), and other elements is going to be different.

Good luck finding a voice.

Jul 14 13 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

There is a way and it is practical and yet you will need to exibit indeferance.

One of the greatly said axiums in photography is to undrstand the shadows when making a photograph, yet there woulkd seem to be no practical way to do this. Like much of the several pages of posts you are handed abstracts. What you need are solid principles.

Nice to say but to learn these things one must come at them as you glance at a reflection in a mirror. Not easy, not easy at all. But there is a practical way to glance into the mirror while not realy looking at all.

Let me say that the problem with discovering the potential as an artist is that it does not happen in the direct fashion. That is the notion of a sideways glance into a mirror. But you do think with the other part of your brain (that old left half and right half) which is logic driven and it has nada to do with the other side which does creative/art. Whats a body to do?

Trick the logic side and give it a fully distraction so that your creative part will sneak about and show you the way to arytistic expression. Here is what to do.

Find a old school slide projector, does not need to be special nor have features other than to project a 35mm slide (youcoukld borrow one, lots of photographers have them in their closet, at the back, on the floor). You will need some (12 to20) graphic images. Best to go to a public library and check out a book with clip art in it. You are looking for graphic represented images that have repeating forms, not big things, more like small repeating patterns.

Get a 35mm camera and some color slide filmand copy the images, best to find a shady side of a building and it is flat art so fastshutter speed and low f stop. You don't care if it has a color cast when it comes back from a processor. You just want graphic patterns to put into the projector.

Get a FEMALE figure model (males have too much body hair), only requirnemnts are that they need to be about average weight to body mass and absolutly no tatoos. You will ONLY be concerned with feet, hands orthe head by enlarge.

Have them lay on a table top (folding tables are great) and put a cussion down and cover the cussion with matt black cloth.

Put the projector on a stand (tripods are great for this) and put in the first slide. Project this onto the body and find a place to focus the projector. You will of coursehave turned off allthe lights but usualy a small low watage lamp to see as you move about the table/model.

You are not concerned about the usual photo issues just basic correct high light exposure. If it is a little high or low matters not. You are not worried about shadow detail, in fact it is eaxactly what youare not interested in. In post or the camera you will be looking at elivated contrast.

Thoes are the basics for the whole thing. What you realy want to attend to is looking at the highlights that are falling all over the contour of the human form. Now that logic brain of yours, you will unleash it now. It will attend to and ferrit out any nipples, pubic area and that damn navel! That logical brain is your Marine, your super hero at the sevice of your bidding! Keep after these three nasty areas. These must be kept in the shadows at all times and costs. I'm realy NOT joking here.

Now in post you are going to do a lot of printing out full frame. You will go high contrast and you will print out on typing paper as if these were e-mails. NOW you are ready to inhase your visual aquity and totaly give your logic a vacation.

Tou will need two tools, an exacto knife with that vicious pointy No. 11 blade. The other item is that old school thing "White-Out". Yep, you will cut out areas and remove small black parts with the old white out. BUT, you will need in addition a cheap fine point black pen. Where things don't look good you will draw out a line and even fill it in with extra ink.

When you are done you will have lovely geometric images, but the filter they will have run through will be the human form as a contouring of the basic geometric form that you projected. If they look like a human being, your logic brain let you down and now after scolding it you will need to get another model (or the same, matters not) and do the exercise all over again. (Extra credit: Let the model play with the paper print out, see if she sees differently than you did.

Now, not to worry, there is no right or wrong to this. Scale does not even matter! Big secret revealed. In the end all draws from the print outs will either have a bird like form or will have a fish like form. Weird, but true.

NOW, go do the exercises that people sugest to you. It is weird but you will discover a vary shocking thing, you have a whole new set of eyes. You will not be able to understand the why but you will begin to see in a whole new hay, it will be more creative, more visual. After a while you will discover that what has happened is that youare now intuativly seeing shadows in a way that you never saw them before.

I have delivered this exercise in visula managenment through a new intutive understanding of shadows and what they do with in three dimensional space. Photographers who are NOT interested in nudes nor even people as subjects have found it helped their visulsation of 3D space and the way to convert that 3D space into 2D space. As you exercise your working vision you will find that you will 'improve' your ability to visulaze. You can then begin to take point with issues like ideas, intent, phylosophy, story and the like. But you must learn to visulize first.

Jul 14 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Zahra

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A mentor

Jul 14 13 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I took a class with Jay Maisel once and a student had asked, after showing Jay his portfolio, "how do I take more interesting photographs?"

Jay said, "stand in front of more interesting stuff."

Jul 15 13 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

The best photographer I've ever known quit at age 22. He took up writing, which to him was hard. Photography, he said, was just target practice.

Some people will excel. Some won't. Some need a lot of practice. Some don't.

However, educating oneself about how and why photography works cannot hurt. Then, if you have any talent at all, it'll be easier to exploit it.

Jul 15 13 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Image Magik wrote:
Practice practice practice
Fail fail fail
Study study study.
Repeat...

True to an extent... BUT... you're gonna have to have at least a few minor successes sprinkled in with all those failures... or you're gonna get disenchanted and lose photographic interest in short order... wink

Jul 15 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Light Writer wrote:

if you want to say something new, it's best to learn the language first.

Jul 25 13 12:44 am Link

Photographer

ChrisCrimsonPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

How about not being cheesy

Jul 25 13 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Timothy Bell wrote:

It may be stupid but this is exactly why I'm self taught, I didn't want to be influenced by what others liked. However I'm finding myself at a level that is hard to get past.

That's interesting. What is it that you can't get past?

I do agree with not wanting the influence that comes with someone showing you "the right way" or just "a way" to do things. It can definitely give you tunnel vision.

If you really understand photography conceptually and the artistic part, the technical is never a problem. You'll always be able to do anything you want.

Sometimes people struggle with the technical and think it's because they don't understand something technical, but it's actually an fundamental understanding of why they're shooting in the first place that's the problem.

Jul 25 13 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Timothy Bell wrote:
Please impart your wisdom.

An ongoing and unrelenting editing backlog, which forces one to learn efficiency and image narrowing/selection skills.

Timothy Bell wrote:

I place high value on self-teaching, and question the usefulness of workshops with conditions that can't be reproduced on your own anytime soon, such as advanced lighting, exclusive venues, or models you'd never get on your own.

Jul 25 13 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Yugoboy wrote:
A lot of the question you're asking has to do with choosing what kind of images you want to be good at.  It's entirely different approaches for different types of shots.

The most depressed about photography I ever got was while looking at a book of shots a taxi driver took by just pointing his camera out the window and clicking as he drove.  Obviously a lot of culling was involved, but the skill of the "artist" behind the lens was almost nil.

If you want to shoot models well, take advice and copy styles from people who do work you admire.  Do you want to do fashion or something else?  They're different in terms of mindset when approaching the shoot.  I'm still trying to find my own way when it comes to models.  I'm approaching it, for the moment as a photoshopper.  I'm mentally picturing different shots than are the people who shoot nudes on seamless. 

I'm currently trying to create images in front of the camera I'd otherwise have to find 15 different source images for when sitting at the computer.

If you want to shoot sports, weddings, news, portraits or catalogs, the technical knowledge (camera, lighting, etc.) is the same, but the ways you go about shooting, planning a shoot (or not), and other elements is going to be different.

Good luck finding a voice.

Why does a photographer need to be great or even good? It's not a competition, the point is to make great photos. If you flat out suck and can get a great photo through sheer luck by spray and pray, who cares? You decided you wanted to make a great photo and you did.

As long as you don't make people see all the crappy shots you took, it's fine.

If you're not making photos for the viewer, it doesn't matter if they're good because no one is going to care. If you're making photos for the viewer, and they're good, they're not going to care about the 1,000 terrible shots you had to take before each one you're showing them in the book.

It's not a competition. it's about making photos that affect the way people feel. You literally change their brain chemistry. That's what people are paying for.

Jul 25 13 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Some never become good photographers! tongue

Jul 25 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Andrei Ivan wrote:
Good prime lenses are superior in every way to the zooms most people use. Extra bonus they are lighter and usually cheaper (the middle of the road ones usually are very cheap and still pretty good). They will give you more light, more separation for your subject, they will slow you down and make you think about your composition and they'll also force you to change your distance to your subject so you change perspective.

+1.

All my shoots are done with 35, 50, 85, and/or 180, with the majority only utilizing 50 and 85, and quite a few solely with 50 or 85.

Jul 25 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
That's interesting. What is it that you can't get past? ...

I shot landscapes for years, before digital photography and photo editing software, I was pretty descent at it. I started shooting people around the time that I started using digital. I use to think that if I got better at Photoshop that I could make images on par with much better photographers, not that I couldn't use some improvement in Photoshop now but I did get better at it, just enough to know that it wasn't true. I realized that my lighting wasn't what it should be and that I should know how to control my light better. I've been working on that for years and yet when I look at my final images I'm still not seeing truly great images. In the last couple years I've started into model photography where you need to be able to really control light and I have yet to get to that point. It's like playing piano, I can play the music but I haven't found what it takes to move an audience.

End wall of text explanation.

Jul 25 13 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

You become better by buying a most expensive camera and charging lots of dosch!
Ka-ching!
Riding the gravy train with bisquit wheels wink

Jul 25 13 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Timothy Bell wrote:
How do you become a good photographer?

I'm not talking about the business side of photography, right now I don't care about money. I want to make art, I want to make something beautiful.

I want to know what things you did to learn how to make beautiful images. I will not accept the answer to "shoot more", this is obvious as all skills require practice.

Please impart your wisdom.

Take class's. Read, practice, practice, practice till you die. You will always be trying to perfect your skills.

Jul 25 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

R.EYE.R wrote:
You become better by buying a most expensive camera and charging lots of dosch!
Ka-ching!
Riding the gravy train with bisquit wheels wink

Buy your way to greatness...done and done...holy crap I'm poor now.

Jul 25 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

Practice practice practice smile

Jul 25 13 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Timothy Bell wrote:

Buy your way to greatness...done and done...holy crap I'm poor now.

Welcome to the club..wink

Jul 25 13 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Timothy Bell wrote:

I shot landscapes for years, before digital photography and photo editing software, I was pretty descent at it. I started shooting people around the time that I started using digital. I use to think that if I got better at Photoshop that I could make images on par with much better photographers, not that I couldn't use some improvement in Photoshop now but I did get better at it, just enough to know that it wasn't true. I realized that my lighting wasn't what it should be and that I should know how to control my light better. I've been working on that for years and yet when I look at my final images I'm still not seeing truly great images. In the last couple years I've started into model photography where you need to be able to really control light and I have yet to get to that point. It's like playing piano, I can play the music but I haven't found what it takes to move an audience.

End wall of text explanation.

While I believe what I'm about to say applies, it's not directed at you, it's me discussing elements of ideas that I've been considering for quite a while. My motivation is to give you some words or ideas that will lead you to the ideas that figure out how to stay self-taught and get past the point you feel stuck in.

Landscapes and people are very different and they have nothing to do with light.

Both can be shot brilliantly with sunlight only. In that sense lighting is irrelevant.

So what's the difference between a landscape and a person? What's the difference between a rock or a tree and a person? It's not the appearance or the color or texture or how the reflect light. It's not something you can see tangibly, though when people are photographed well, you can see it, even though, technically it's not in the photo.

Don't guess at what I'm getting at, just think about what the difference is between an object and a person is.

Or maybe even easier, what's the difference between a body - a dead body - and a living person?

Shoot that. Figure out what you think the difference is, and try to make a photo of the thing you consider to be the difference.

In someways it's a simple answer and in someways it's a lifelong question, but I believe that this "difference" is the only thing people respond to in a photo and that, outside of the exposure being so far of that you can't see anything, lighting is 100% superficial.

Don't get distracted by the hyperbolic description - what's the difference and can you photograph it?

Jul 26 13 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

ChiMo wrote:
I went to school for it. San Diego City College.
Then I interned and assisted. I still assist/intern whenever possible.
Best way to learn for me.

"Shoot all the time" or anything along those lines have never worked for me as making shitty photos with no idea how to correct them simply resulted in more shitty photos.

+100 It's easy to correct over or underexposure for next time. It's even relatively easy to correct compositional errors. How does one correct an "error", though (one where someone says it's a "snapshot" or one where it's a really technical mistake, like a horizon on the wrong line or a model with her fingers pointed in the wrong direction??)

I don't consider myself a "good" photographer but I try.

I do what pleases me because someone is always going to find something wrong with the shots I have taken. I hear the "snapshot" thing a lot. Does that mean the picture is boring or just boring to whoever called it a snapshot?  The answer is ... it depends on who said it and why. Maybe they're just jealous so they put all shots by everyone else down. What I find to be "compelling" may be anything but to someone else.

In 6 months, my idea of compelling might change, but this is due to learning more. Some of the shots I did and loved 6 months ago don't get shown anymore because I now think they suck. In other words, I've decided to grow at my own rate and stop judging myself through anyone else's eyes. It's going to be a long time before I'm "good" if I ever get there, but when/if I get there, the time will be right.

Jul 27 13 12:48 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

How do become a good..Artist, scientist, lover...
Use your imagination! be creative! break the rules!

Jul 29 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Timothy Bell wrote:
I want to make art, I want to make something beautiful.

There's a school of thought about art.

A lot of people view art as this “thing” that you make which can be viewed. People think art can be put on a wall or displayed on a computer screen. There's an ideology that these things people call art aren't really art. The philosophy is that art isn't a thing, art is an action undertaken by an artist. Art is a journey of introspection and exploration. It's the process of how the artist gets to know him/herself and how the artist connects with the world and experiences life.

Along the way, as the artist gets to know the world, things are created. These things are a byproduct of the artist's process of experiencing life. You can call them artifacts. These artifacts are what non-artists refer to as “art.” But, if you ascribe to this philosophy, they're not really art, they're just evidence that the artist's journey took place.

You want to create art? Experience life. Take your camera and get to know the world through it. Learn to understand yourself through it. Learn what makes you angry, what makes you happy, what turns you on, what grosses you out, what makes you cry and what makes you speechless. Do it all with your camera.

As you do it, you'll create a lot of leftovers. Some people will call it art but art is just the journey. You'll love the journey and the evidence of your journey will be an afterthought. Eventually, if you're lucky, you'll actually have something to say or express along this journey and your voice will be clear in the artifacts you leave behind. The wonder of artists and art is that artists can express something visually that speaks to people and allows the to understand complex ideas long before they have the words to articulate what they think or feel. Picasso's Guernica expresses the horrors of war at a glance. If you're lucky, you'll speak to others through the artifacts.

Or not. But who gives a shit? When it's about the journey, you don't care what others think of the leftovers they see, you enjoy the ride. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Jul 29 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Ranch

West Des Moines, Iowa, US

Now that I think about this more, I have concluded there is no such thing.

That's like asking to define good art.  It is in the eye of the beholder.
If your images please you, then you have achieved something.  But, I'll bet that every single photographer that looks at their older images can identify "improvements".  That's because art is a moving target.  Your impression of artistic will change with time.  So I guess that means, what you thought was artistic two years ago, now isn't artistic anymore?

It's a journey not an end point.

Jul 29 13 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

howard r

study quality images to help you develop a sophisticated eye.

(and, sorry to say, you will have to look very hard to find them on model mayhem.)

if you develop a tacky eye, you will at best become a very proficient tacky photographer.

you can start with tumblrs like:

http://apostrophe9.tumblr.com/

Jul 29 13 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Ranch

West Des Moines, Iowa, US

http://gizmodo.com/the-10-most-expensiv … -866891077

maybe good art is based on how much an image sells for?

Jul 29 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

felix martin

Portland, Oregon, US

Jay Maisel told me in a class, become a better person...

Jul 29 13 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Trill Imagery

Great advice.....

Jul 30 13 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Timothy Bell wrote:

This is ironic to the point of comical. The fact that you're self-taught does not mean you were not influence by what others liked. You simply taught yourself based on what others liked.

I'm not being facetious or obtuse. Unless you live in a vacuum and figure out photography without ever looking at anyone else's photographs (no magazines, no online images, no prints, no nothing) then all you're entirely influenced by what others like. The aesthetics of your work is commercial-based (and before anyone gets delicate, that's a statement of fact not a critique). If you are self taught then it means you emulated a medium that is wholly based on the whims of what other people like. You merely chose to be influenced by the consumer masses and do it on your own rather than have some form of mentoring or instruction.

Jul 30 13 06:48 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Try everything, variety, and creativity go hand in hand  .  .  .  unless you are willing to try things, even ones out of your comfort zone, you'll never know what you're capable of  .  .  .  even on straight commercial shoots, I'll push the angles a bit more, play with the lighting a little, get the models to give me a little extra twist, squeeze into the most uncomfortable space, the client may not always appreciate the final image, but at least I tried it  .  .  .  an old trick I learned was to shoot in threes, it used to be you bracketed for lighting, now its more for look, even the best image will have a "best" out of three  .  .  .  and seeing the subtle differences that makes that so, is always an education  .  .  .

SOS

Jul 30 13 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

This is ironic to the point of comical. The fact that you're self-taught does not mean you were not influence by what others liked. You simply taught yourself based on what others liked.

I'm not being facetious or obtuse. Unless you live in a vacuum and figure out photography without ever looking at anyone else's photographs (no magazines, no online images, no prints, no nothing) then all you're entirely influenced by what others like. The aesthetics of your work is commercial-based (and before anyone gets delicate, that's a statement of fact not a critique). If you are self taught then it means you emulated a medium that is wholly based on the whims of what other people like. You merely chose to be influenced by the consumer masses and do it on your own rather than have some form of mentoring or instruction.

Maybe you don't like the wording of the statement, but I'm trying to get across that I want to shoot in ways that are pleasing to me and I don't want to be taught that there is a certain way to shoot something and rely on that rather than finding something that works for me. If you want to get technical there isn't a single thought in the world that isn't influenced by someone else.

Jul 30 13 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

I'm responding to points out of order for the sake of relevancy.

Timothy Bell wrote:
If you want to get technical there isn't a single thought in the world that isn't influenced by someone else.

While true, that's not where I went with the statement. Did you bother to read what else I posted?

Timothy Bell wrote:
Maybe you don't like the wording of the statement, but I'm trying to get across that I want to shoot in ways that are pleasing to me and I don't want to be taught that there is a certain way to shoot something and rely on that rather than finding something that works for me.

There's a generalized assumption (more or less from people who've never been to an art school or people who've been to shitty ones) that structured learning programs are designed to teach you that there's a certain way to shoot (or create art). No program worth the money the charge for tuition takes that stance. The simple reason is they would quickly get a rep for trying to brainwash artists to be a certain way and no parent would send their child to a school like that and no graduate student would waste money on a program like that.

Reputable programs (again, not the shitty ones which are probably out there) whether they are degree-offering programs or (effectively) "finishing schools" for creatives (where you polish your portfolio in an effort to elevate to a higher tier of clientele) are all focused on encouraging the students to seek out what suits them and equipment them to do whatever that is. By "equipping" I mean that they learn the skills and tools to be successful.

For instance, artists who function strictly in the art world (as in they do little in the way of commercial work, focusing more on commissioned work and gallery exhibitions/sales) do a myriad of other things aside from simply creating work. Anyone with a little talent can create work. The difference is full-time artists know how to break down the gallery system and work it, they know how to talk about their own work because they could be asked to give artists talks (lectures pay), they're often asked to do portfolio reviews and studio visits for other artists (also paid), they need to know how to meet and work with publishers, art buyers and art critics. None of that shit is about creating work but it's absolutely critical. And on and on and on.

On the flip side, those who are interested in commercial gigs go through business classes to understand overhead, understanding the publication hierarchy and how each one runs, critically analyzing commercial images, understanding the trends within the photography world (that goes for artists and commercial creatives), where things are headed, how to be find the wave (which isn't simply about looking at where you are right now but knowing how to read the conditions) etc. And much more.

Now, it's fine to not want to be told that there's a way you have to do any given thing. It perfectly understandable to want to do what you want to do. It's fine to want to find what works for you. But the assumption that a formal learning environment does not follow that is simply ill-informed. You might believe that you've avoided what you didn't want but I can tell you from experience that it's not as you think it is. Which doesn't mean you need to jump into any structured learning program. But you may want to do more research so you can have a more informed opinion (if you're going to make such definitive statements like the one which prompted my response in the first place).

Jul 31 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Slavewire

London, England, United Kingdom

Good photography will come naturally to you once you start focusing on things you're passionate about or have an interest in.
Whether it's a specific kind of fashion, creating cosplay sessions, shooting nudes, coming up with elaborate concepts, etc. (the list can be endless, it just depends on what you're into - and I don't know what that is).
But once you start shooting what you like and make your own rules, everything else will start to fall in place too, which is the overall progress and quality of your original shots, the improvement on angles and perspective and last but not least, the creative vision you will eventually settle on during post production.

Jul 31 13 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Toshiyasu Morita

Belmont, California, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I took a class with Jay Maisel once and a student had asked, after showing Jay his portfolio, "how do I take more interesting photographs?"

Jay said, "stand in front of more interesting stuff."

This made me LOL! Thanks!

Toshi

Jul 31 13 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
There's a generalized assumption (more or less from people who've never been to an art school or people who've been to shitty ones) that structured learning programs are designed to teach you that there's a certain way to shoot[/i].

I would agree that I have this assumption, I've heard it numerous times from friends and colleagues and as such believe it to be the norm.

Jul 31 13 07:43 pm Link