Model

Elle Fortune

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes please! Would love to know smile

Aug 29 13 01:25 pm Link

Model

Lia_Joy

Mazomanie, Wisconsin, US

I'd appreciate any feedback you are willing to give. Thanks!

Aug 29 13 01:38 pm Link

Model

Alvina Torres

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Do me!

Aug 31 13 10:40 am Link

Model

Nicole Michelle

Albany, New York, US

Would love to know.  smile

Aug 31 13 10:56 am Link

Model

Heather Smythe

Sacramento, California, US

I'd love to know! smile

Aug 31 13 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

E L I N wrote:
I'm in! Would like to know what I could improve too smile

You need to work with higher end photographers, who can better direct your posing. For your face structure, you're better off being shot at 3/4 angle than straight on. Full on makes your face come out broad and your nose disproportionally narrow, which is not what most photographers seek in a high end commercial model.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

anna gabriel wrote:
Just got new photos added. ready to hear it smile

I am not seeing any assets that you can bring to a commercial shoot at this time.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 08:29 pm Link

Model

Meghan Congdon

Austin, Texas, US

I would love to hear your thoughts. smile

Aug 31 13 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Layla_B wrote:
Hi Michael! Will you take a look at my port too please?
Great comments on the portfolios you've looked at so far in this topic smile

Hi Layla,

You have a very interesting face and fabulous form. Your dance background gives you flexibility and grace. Your long hair is an additional asset. But the quality of your images is currently holding you back. You need to seek out higher end photographers. I would also recommend learning more about doing your own makeup and hair, so that you can bring a more polished look to the set. Study images you like and what makes those poses work. 

If you worked with better photographers, your port would better show off your assets. You could be a very professional model. You have the height and your dance background is a huge asset. Just keep pushing yourself. Your youthful look will keep you fresh for several more years.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Anna Vanston wrote:
What detailed responses! I would love a good ole fashioned critique! After I get my laptop back from being fixed I'm planning on switching out about 2-3 of the photos for new ones from shoots, but might as well take this opportunity while you're offering! If you wish to advise which ones to replace, I would love to hear that as well smile thank you for your time and effort!

You bring a great face, wonderful form and super hair. But your images feel like snapshots, not magazine quality. Seek out better quality photographers. As I stated above, I would recommend learning more about makeup and hair for the set. Models proficient in styling themselves book more jobs.

It is an asset being an actress and dancer, but those abilities should show in your port. They are currently not coming through.

The photographers with whom you are working are just having you stand there and taking your image. There is no creativity in the shot, which is downgrading your port. You have lots of potential.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Sarah_ wrote:
Let's see smile

You have very good face structure, beautiful hair and perfect form.

You run from very high end images to snapshots. In your port, of the first 4 images, the two diptychs do not show skilled photographers. The two outside images do. They are timeless and will always have value in your port. They show all of your assets in a very professional way.

As a paid model, I would suggest you keep your port to a style that high end clients are looking for.

Much continued success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Eurocat wrote:
Always room for improvement here..

Regardez: still practicing feeling my face,  therefore my headshots are not too excitng yet..

You have an excellent form and your flexibility is incredible. I can see that you work very hard and you have lots of potential. You have worked with some creative photographers. But the range of your work does not focus me into what type of photography you want to do and what type of photographer you want to work with.

You show ability in high end work, but you also have a smattering of work from lower end photographers. These photographers may pay, but will that work have value tomorrow?

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Holly Summers wrote:
i would love to hear your thoughts!

Great face and form. You are obviously working hard. But your port is not filled with high end photographers that would help you move up, so you will always stay at the same level.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

C a m i l a wrote:
Me too smile

Good face and form. You have some high end figure images that show off both. Other images just bring down your portfolio. I would suggest culling it strongly to focus more on the quality images that will bring you higher paying work.

If someone is a chef, they can't have serve both gourmet meals and low end meals poorly presented. There needs to be consistency throughout.

Much success,
Michael

Aug 31 13 09:13 pm Link

Model

Beth Chambers

London, England, United Kingdom

Me please smile

Sep 01 13 03:51 am Link

Model

Miss Cupcake Swirl

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

A strong sense of self quirkiness and playfulness when needed

Sep 01 13 07:44 am Link

Model

Beta Frey

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I'd like to know >.

Sep 01 13 07:47 am Link

Model

Randy Potvin

Rochester, New York, US

Yes please

Sep 01 13 08:02 am Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Model with Michael wrote:

Hi Layla,

You have a very interesting face and fabulous form. Your dance background gives you flexibility and grace. Your long hair is an additional asset. But the quality of your images is currently holding you back. You need to seek out higher end photographers. I would also recommend learning more about doing your own makeup and hair, so that you can bring a more polished look to the set. Study images you like and what makes those poses work. 

If you worked with better photographers, your port would better show off your assets. You could be a very professional model. You have the height and your dance background is a huge asset. Just keep pushing yourself. Your youthful look will keep you fresh for several more years.

Much success,
Michael

Thankyou for your feedback! It's really helpful and stimulating smile.
I will try and find photographers who are willing to help me take my portfolio to the next level. And keep working on my own skills too ofcourse!
Thanks again.
Best, Layla

Sep 01 13 03:54 pm Link

Model

TaylerMcKenzie

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I'd value your opinion

Sep 01 13 05:58 pm Link

Model

ResaVictoria

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I'd like to know smile

Sep 01 13 06:29 pm Link

Model

Sarah_

Los Angeles, California, US

You have very good face structure, beautiful hair and perfect form.

You run from very high end images to snapshots. In your port, of the first 4 images, the two diptychs do not show skilled photographers. The two outside images do. They are timeless and will always have value in your port. They show all of your assets in a very professional way.

As a paid model, I would suggest you keep your port to a style that high end clients are looking for.

Much continued success,
Michael

Michael, thank you very much for your detailed feedback.  I really appreciate you taking the time to provide me with this critique.

I do have a question that would help me understand your comments. 
Specifically, you said that this image shows a skilled photographer:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130616/18/51be5fa85b7b7_m.jpg

but this set:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130616/18/51be623df28dc_m.jpg

does not show a skilled photographer and looks like a snapshot. 
However, these images were taken by the same photographer on the same day.  Could you please help me understand what makes one stand out as "timeless" and valuable, but the other gives you such a negative impression?

Thanks again for your time and feedback!

Sep 02 13 12:22 pm Link

Model

Holly Hoxter

Richmond, Virginia, US

Thank you very much for the input!

Sep 02 13 01:20 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Rae D

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I would LOVE to hear your opinion! I am a stylist and Model...so some of my shots I styled myself......there is a dress in my port that is cardboard that I handmade and spray painted black. Tell me what you think!

Sep 02 13 01:30 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Santa Barbara, California, US

Would love to know

Sep 04 13 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Nicki Micki wrote:
Please tell me

You need to study posing and expressions and work with far better photographers. Your current portfolio doesn't show a paying model's assets. The images look more like snapshots and are expressionless.

Study the work of good models and try to emulate them.

Much success,
Michael

Sep 04 13 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Jahanara wrote:
I'm curious smile

You have a very compact, muscled figure and exceptional dance background. It is very positive your abilities in dance. But if you are shooting more than dance images, you need to learn how to pose as a fashion model. A good fashion model matches her expressions to her body language. Currently you are just staring at the camera.

Skilled photographers can help you with your pose and expression as they are putting the final composition together. Since the model can not see into the camera during the time of the exposure, the photographer must direct the final pose. It is for this reason that the photographer should direct the model and not the other way around.

I would also suggest adding more variety to your portfolio. All of them images have a very similar quality.

Much success,
Michael

Sep 04 13 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Jennifer Millikan Keene wrote:
Would love to hear it brings it on.

Hi Jen,

The model needs to draw the viewer in with her body language and facial expression. I am not seeing this in your current portfolio. Your poses and expressions are not interesting and so don't capture the viewer's attention.

As a model be aware of your limbs and pose the body in a flattering manner. Study images that you like and ask yourself why do they work. You should be analyzing every image you see. Seek out photographers who have high end images, not just a photographer with a camera who says nice things to you. It is a business. You need to learn the business from those who know it, not just wannabe photographers.

Much success,
Michael

Sep 04 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

C A T H Y     wrote:
I would love to know smile

You bring a good form and interesting face to a shoot. You pull off a sultry look well in a number of your images. But your current avatar and a few other shots are not very expressive and you seem disconnected from the viewer.

Again I would recommend studying how best to pose your form to highlight your features.

Much success,
Michael

Sep 04 13 09:57 pm Link

Model

Nicki Micki

Charleston, South Carolina, US

You need to study posing and expressions and work with far better photographers. Your current portfolio doesn't show a paying model's assets. The images look more like snapshots and are expressionless.

Study the work of good models and try to emulate them.

Much success,
Michael

Well I would hope so. I don't pay photographers, But Thanks

Sep 04 13 10:51 pm Link

Model

Skyler Bleu

San Jose, California, US

Hello! I would love some feedback!

Thanks,
Sky

Sep 04 13 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Sarah_ wrote:
I do have a question that would help me understand your comments. 
Specifically, you said that this image shows a skilled photographer:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130616/18/51be5fa85b7b7_m.jpg

but this set:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130616/18/51be623df28dc_m.jpg

does not show a skilled photographer and looks like a snapshot. 
However, these images were taken by the same photographer on the same day.  Could you please help me understand what makes one stand out as "timeless" and valuable, but the other gives you such a negative impression?

Thanks again for your time and feedback!

Hi Sarah,

That is a very good observation that you made. I would be happy to explain in greater detail. In looking at your port, I had no way of knowing what image was done when and by whom. With the information you have now given me, it's further evidence to me of a photographer who lacks skills to pose a model for both images.

What happened on the b&w diptych, the photographer took two images in a cliched style. Photographers who are still finding their way keep repeating the throwing back of the model's hair. To the best of my recalling, this type of shot comes from at least the 50s. Before digital it was unique, because it was seldom seen. Now it's in so many photographers ports, as if they all originated the idea.

Your second shot probably turned out because you created it by striking a very good pose. The photographer simply recorded it. The posing in the second shot is much more interesting because it flows visually throughout the image. You also have a better expression and are thus interacting with the viewer.

In country life, they have a phrase that says "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then." A skilled photographer will repeatedly get good images. Yes, everyone takes inferior images to keep the model session flowing. But the skilled photographer will always edit them out.

Much continued success,
Michael

Sep 05 13 06:14 pm Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Sure, please include how I can improve as well thanks in advance smile

Sep 05 13 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Model with Michael

Frederick, Maryland, US

Layla_B wrote:
Thankyou for your feedback! It's really helpful and stimulating smile.
I will try and find photographers who are willing to help me take my portfolio to the next level. And keep working on my own skills too ofcourse!
Thanks again.
Best, Layla

You have very positive assets to bring to a professional shoot. Instead of waiting for photographers to select you, you should ask skilled photographers whose work you admire if they would like to collaborate with you. Yes, some will turn you down and offer their rates. But there should be some who will see your value and appreciate you asking.

Much success,
Michael

Sep 05 13 06:47 pm Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

You bring a good form and interesting face to a shoot. You pull off a sultry look well in a number of your images. But your current avatar and a few other shots are not very expressive and you seem disconnected from the viewer.

Again I would recommend studying how best to pose your form to highlight your features.

Much success,
Michael

thanks!

Sep 05 13 08:11 pm Link

Model

FranklinElsey

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I've wondered this for a while now.

Sep 13 13 10:36 am Link

Model

Veronika Vitkina

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would love your opinion

Sep 14 13 05:07 pm Link

Model

Travis Milan

AGUILA, Arizona, US

Yes Sir-I would love to hear your thoughts!

Sep 15 13 02:20 am Link

Model

_BlossomFairy_

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

please smile

Sep 18 13 03:17 pm Link