Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Well, that aged me about 10 years

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Out of nowhere - my 21 year old persian cat just had a massive seizure.  All I could do was hold her and hope she wouldn't die in my arms.  She's resting now - dazed and confused - but, seemingly ok again.

We've known her kidneys were failing - (common in Persians) but this may mean the end stage has arrived. 

I'm crushed sad

(edit: and she died the day after writing this)

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/66473_433714866653901_1709369990_n.jpg

Aug 28 13 08:57 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

sad I am so sorry.

Aug 28 13 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Kitty Katia wrote:
sad I am so sorry.

Thank you - it's good to live alone sometimes - It's unseemly to have people see a middle aged man blubbering

Aug 28 13 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Modelographer

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My sisters dog has had seizures his whole life. They're infrequent nowadays, but they seem to be much worse when they do happen than they used to be when he was younger and would get them more often. They always scare me (and of course, the dog. He does everything he can to get near to a person right before they happen. He launched himself off a sofa and about 12 feet around a corner and through a doorway to get to me in the next room on his last one, that sucked. ) when I'm around for them. Luckily, they're not painful, just disorienting.

-hugs-

Aug 28 13 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Sorry man!! 

21 years sounds like a good, long, well cared for life for a cat.

Don't feel too bad about being emotional, pets ARE family.

Aug 28 13 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

*hugs*

Aug 28 13 09:52 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

*hugs* so sorry to hear.

I have a 12 year old Persian (a smoke Persian with a flat face) who was a runt of her litter and I actually bottle fed that cat until she could eat. She never weighed more than five pounds her whole adult life, and had all kinds of health problems the first two years. Her teeth never all grew in either, and she's always had one runny eye due to the short snout. Persians are prone to all types of problems, though my old lady is aging well, still playful and has been healthy for a decade now.

honestly, despite their health problems, they are some of the sweetest, smartest cats I've had the blessing of interacting with. When my girl was younger and spryer, she would figure out how to open every door in every house I lived in, would manipulate me in very clever ways, and was just this little eccentric genius kitty.

I firmly believe that Persians are some special cats. What they lack in health, they make up for in other ways, and having one in your life is like the best possible. Even if their lives aren't always as long as other cats, they get a hell of a lot out of them, and having one is an absolute joy you'll never forget.

Aug 29 13 10:40 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Vintagevista wrote:

Thank you - it's good to live alone sometimes - It's unseemly to have people see a middle aged man blubbering

Hugs.

Hugs for you too.
You know 21 is olde age, and you did an awesome job caring for that cat.

Aug 29 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

And - - just like that

She's gone...  sad

I had a 4pm vet appt. - and she had another huge seizure at 3:45

My appt turned into an emergency euthanasia.

At least she was still out of it from the seizure when I got to the Vet - she never noticed - I take some comfort she was not fearful or hurting when she went.

Goodbye Pumpkin  sad

*bawls*

Aug 29 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Vintagevista wrote:
And - - just like that

She's gone...  sad

At least she was still out of it from the seizure when I got to the Vet - she never noticed - I take some comfort she was not fearful or hurting when she went.

Goodbye Pumpkin  sad

*bawls*

condolence on your loss

I am not a cat haters, I am just playing one on the internet

Aug 29 13 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

*hugs* i'm sorry sad

Aug 29 13 06:14 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Vintagevista wrote:
And - - just like that

She's gone...  sad

Goodbye Pumpkin  sad

*bawls*

sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Aug 29 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

sad

I'm so sorry, Tom.  21 years is a great life, but I know how hard it is to lose her.  I know I'll fall apart when my cat Mercury's time comes.

RIP Pumpkin.

Aug 29 13 07:14 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but it's pretty awesome she and you had so long together. I had a beloved pet die unexpectedly around 6 months old and I think it made it worse that I had so little time with her. Now they're together on the rainbow bridge and someday we'll see them again smile

Aug 29 13 07:20 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you gave her a great, long life.

Aug 29 13 07:24 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

My condolences.

Aug 29 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

So sorry, that really sucks.

Don't be afraid to let yourself feel the emotions, that makes you more human, not less manly.

Sounds like she was very lucky to be so loved and well cared for.

Aug 29 13 07:52 pm Link

Model

FallenEcho

Escondido, California, US

I am sorry for your loss. That makes me want to cry. I have had many cats in my life, but I only have had to deal with a few deaths.

Aug 29 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

just hold her, youre a great parent.  give her treats for me

Aug 29 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thank you all - you have been very kind - and that means a lot.

Mark Twain commented about the Alaska gold rush and that some people carried the oddest things to the gold fields - one man was seen carrying a basket of cats.

Later he explained - that the man later sold the cats for huge sums - because they kept the mice and rats at bay - but also "Because men of good heart - when there are no women or children around - will take up with pets - for they must love something"

Aug 29 13 09:04 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Hug.

Aug 30 13 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sorry to hear of your loss. sad

Aug 30 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Simmagination

Westminster, Maryland, US

Sorry for your loss sad

I still miss my cat (well it was my sister-in-law's, but she decided to move in with me because she didn't like her other cats)  She really didn't like anyone but me (already that made her awesome) and she was one of the very few cats in the world I wasn't allergic to. 

Our pets are only in our lives for a fraction of it, but they always leave an irreplaceable treasure trove of special memories. They enrich our lives and souls, and while they are with us, there is no one in the world more important to them than us- which I think makes those who love a pet a pretty special person smile

Always remember the healthier, happier times. Even years from now, they will always bring a smile to your face smile

Aug 30 13 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

so sorry

pets are family -- and depending on your family sometimes better

Aug 31 13 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

They are intimate family members and we love them differently from people. They are such beautiful things, even with all their faults. I am sad just about every day over the loss of my cat; I empathize deeply with you.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110101/10/4d1f75876f393_m.jpg

Aug 31 13 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thank you all - I know I had no choice and it was the right (and inevitable) thing to do.

And as I was sadly cleaning my house - I realized she will always be with me - my home has such a haze of yellow persian fur in it, that I will always carry her with me.

I did save a lock of hair to send to her original owner.

Aug 31 13 08:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've had several cats that had seizures near the end. in one case i put off having her put to sleep and she died in our bed. i hope she didn't suffer too much because of my selfishness. if you are one who loves animals their passing can be really hard.

Aug 31 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

Terribly sorry for your loss. Pets are family and the loss of them is never easy.

Aug 31 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

So sorry for your loss

Aug 31 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

that is a good looking cat! but lead a full life.

Aug 31 13 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

This was her "Last Sunbeam"  She was sleeping in the afternoon sun one last time - I kinda knew what was coming and I took this - she was happy and comfortable  - Between seizures she was normal, up in laps, wanting to be adored etc.- She had not had a seizure in 10 or 12 hours - she was gone about 2 hours after this

https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1175626_728683050490413_994561881_n.jpg

Thank you all for your kindness - I'll not forget it - I'll stop bugging you all about it - I just had to get this shot finished

And now it is.

Aug 31 13 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Im very sorry. I went through something very similar back in February. My kitty was diagnosed with a rapid onset kidney failure the previous October. Nearly nursed her back to health, but not quite. She passed away on the vets table while they were looking for a vein to inject her.

I'd like to say it gets easier, but it was tough typing this.

Sep 01 13 07:01 am Link