Forums > Photography Talk > Need help with Nikon D600, no PC Sync port.

Photographer

EditablePhotos

New York, New York, US

I rented a Nikon D600 today, was told that it has a PC Sync port but came home and found out it does not. Was trying to rent the D800 which is where I did all of my research but they were out, so I took the rep's word for it.

My question is how do I use external flashes (strobes) with the D600 without the PC sync cord? I have my backup system but wanted to try the Nikon line and have been using the PC sync port for everything.

Thanks so much smile

Aug 30 13 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

You can do one of three things.  First, if your lights have an optical slave (many do), you can trigger your strobes with the on-camera flash.

Second, you can rent a wireless triggering device such as a Pocket Wizard.  Bear in mind, unless your lights have a receiver built in, you will have to rent two of them.  Be sure the trigger cable you rent with the Wizards is compatible with your lights.

Third, you can get a hot shoe adapter to allow you to attach a sync cord to the hot shoe.  You can usually buy them for $10-$30.  They are inexpensive and work fine.

I am sure you can make one of those solutions work.

Aug 30 13 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The D800 has a PC sync terminal. It's on the front of the body in the upper right area (as you face the camera from the front). It has a cap to keep moisture out, etc.

Check P. 380 of your owner's manual.

Aug 30 13 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

EditablePhotos

New York, New York, US

Camerosity wrote:
The D800 has a PC sync terminal. It's on the front of the body in the upper right area (as you face the camera from the front). It has a cap to keep moisture out, etc.

Thanks but I got the D600 instead because they were out of the D800 and was confidently told that YES the D600 has the port that I needed.

Aug 30 13 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

EditablePhotos

New York, New York, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
You can do one of three things.  First, if your lights have an optical slave (many do), you can trigger your strobes with the on-camera flash.

Second, you can rent a wireless triggering device such as a Pocket Wizard.  Bear in mind, unless your lights have a receiver built in, you will have to rent two of them.  Be sure the trigger cable you rent with the Wizards is compatible with your lights.

Third, you can get a hot shoe adapter to allow you to attach a sync cord to the hot shoe.  You can usually buy them for $10-$30.  They are inexpensive and work fine.

I am sure you can make one of those solutions work.

Thank you so much smile

Aug 30 13 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Camerosity wrote:

NatashaO wrote:
Thanks but I got the D600 instead because they were out of the D800 and was confidently told that YES the D600 has the port that I needed.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Sorry...

Aug 30 13 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

EditablePhotos

New York, New York, US

Camerosity wrote:

Camerosity wrote:

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Sorry...

No worries, shoot starts tomorrow at 9am. Good thing I have my backup in the event, I can't get what is needed to make this work.

Aug 30 13 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

KB9NDF

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Nikon has the AS-15 adapter. It fits on the hot shoe of the camera and provides a PC terminal on the front of the unit. I imagine there are other manufacturers of similar devices.

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Photography-Accessories/Flash-Adapters/2010/3066-AS-15-Sync-Terminal-Adapter/Views/353_3066_AS-15-Sync-Terminal-Adapter_front.png

Aug 30 13 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

KB9NDF wrote:
Nikon has the AS-15 adapter. It fits on the hot shoe of the camera and provides a PC terminal on the front of the unit. I imagine there are other manufacturers of similar devices.

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Photography-Accessories/Flash-Adapters/2010/3066-AS-15-Sync-Terminal-Adapter/Views/353_3066_AS-15-Sync-Terminal-Adapter_front.png

A lot of companies make them.  The Nikon version is about $20.  You can get generic ones for about $10 and some premium ones for as much as $30.  They are a very common item that can be used on virtually every brand of camera.

Aug 30 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

EditablePhotos

New York, New York, US

Thanks!

Aug 31 13 03:07 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

you'll never go back once you try wireless triggers...being cabled to a strobe isn't fun...

Aug 31 13 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Time to Shoot

Arlington, Virginia, US

One of my biggest disappointments with the Nikon D600 was no sync connection.

Aug 31 13 07:59 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

The D600 shouldn't be in the D## series because it's a consumer aimed body, hence no sync port or 10 pin. It's a FX sensor in a D7000 body which was the replacement for the D## series.

Aug 31 13 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Even pocketwizard now offers a hotshoe with PC sync passthrough.

http://www.lightingrumours.com/pocketwi … ables-4603

Aug 31 13 08:33 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Time to Shoot wrote:
One of my biggest disappointments with the Nikon D600 was no sync connection.

I cannot remember the last time I used a PC sync connection.  If I needed one, I have an adapter, but I can't imagine why I would ever put one on.

I have a D600 and I miss the 10 pin connector, but I couldn't care less about the PC sync connection.

Aug 31 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

ACPhotography wrote:
The D600 shouldn't be in the D## series because it's a consumer aimed body, hence no sync port or 10 pin. It's a FX sensor in a D7000 body which was the replacement for the D## series.

I dunno, the D7100 runs rings around my D300s which is marketed as Nikon's professional DX camera.   I anguished between the D600 and the D800.  I get new cameras when it is time, not when they are released.  It was time for a new body.

There are things that I like better about the D600 than the D800.  There are things that I like better about the D800 than the D600.  The D600 is no slouch by any means.  The incredible deals being offered right now on the D600 caused me to get one.  I have absolutely no regrets.

Aug 31 13 08:47 am Link

Photographer

IMAK Photo

Eureka, California, US

ACPhotography wrote:

I haven't used a PC port for at least 5 years even on the cameras that have one. Somehow, I've still managed to make money as a professional photographer.

The PC connector is about the least reliable connector I can think of. Maybe that's one reason Nikon isn't including them on some cameras. I don't miss it on my D600 at all.

I still pack an AS-15 and a sync cord just in case all else fails but since I have multiple transceivers and receivers now, I haven't had to go to last resort in my redundancy for a long time.

Aug 31 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Wireless triggering is the best.  If you going to get wireless triggering, I suggest try one that offer high speed sync.  If you have high speed sync, you no longer limit yourself with 1/200th (on the D600).  Can the D600 do high speed sync?

For me, I can go up to 1/8000th (using Hensel Strobes) with the wireless triggers I have.

PC Sync cord is unreliable and trouble some.

Aug 31 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Joey

Orange, California, US

Check your camera manual for the usage of older flash. Some have greater than the 6V threshold for safe usage. Otherwise, invest in something like Wein's Safe Sync products, i.e.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 … _Sync.html

Sep 01 13 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

If you check your camera manuals for Nikon and most Canon's you will find that the cameras are rated up to 250 volts.

If you go to Botzilla.com you will find that very few flashes were ever a problem.

In fact they were rare.  and they are very very old.

This problem was dealt with over 30 years ago when it first surfaced.

I worked in the fifth largest camera store in the US when this first happened and I have sold a lot of professional strobes of many brands.

The only flash I know of that was common was the Vivitar 283 made by Hitachi in Japan and it was the first model and I never saw one as it was discontinued that quick.

It fried Nikormat cameras.  Nikon repair was 5 blocks from the store I worked in reported the issue and it was solved.

Sep 01 13 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've had the D600 since January, and until I read this thread I had no idea it didn't have a PC port.

Good to know. I'd just use the one on my RF-603 trigger anyways, cause it's usually on my hotshoe anyways.

Sep 02 13 01:04 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

GPS Studio Services wrote:

I dunno, the D7100 runs rings around my D300s which is marketed as Nikon's professional DX camera.   I anguished between the D600 and the D800.  I get new cameras when it is time, not when they are released.  It was time for a new body.

There are things that I like better about the D600 than the D800.  There are things that I like better about the D800 than the D600.  The D600 is no slouch by any means.  The incredible deals being offered right now on the D600 caused me to get one.  I have absolutely no regrets.

How old is the D300s compared to the D7100 now? My iPhone is a better computer than my C=64 was any day, lol... (Yea I know it's a horrible analogy but cameras are now computers and technology changes.) For someone like me the D300s with a grip is a better balanced body being on the end of my 70-200 or 400 2.8, I find the small bodies to be awkward on the big lenses.

Sep 02 13 06:07 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

IMAK Photo wrote:

I haven't used a PC port for at least 5 years even on the cameras that have one. Somehow, I've still managed to make money as a professional photographer.

The PC connector is about the least reliable connector I can think of. Maybe that's one reason Nikon isn't including them on some cameras. I don't miss it on my D600 at all.

I still pack an AS-15 and a sync cord just in case all else fails but since I have multiple transceivers and receivers now, I haven't had to go to last resort in my redundancy for a long time.

I don't use the PC connector a lot, but when running remote cameras it's nice to have it there. I've had a flash in the hot shoe with a PW rubber banded to the side of the flash and the camera connected to the PW via a PC cord. I like having all my options there when I need them.

Sep 02 13 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Truman ReToucher Artist

San Diego, California, US

EditablePhotos wrote:
I rented a Nikon D600 today, was told that it has a PC Sync port but came home and found out it does not. Was trying to rent the D800 which is where I did all of my research but they were out, so I took the rep's word for it.

My question is how do I use external flashes (strobes) with the D600 without the PC sync cord? I have my backup system but wanted to try the Nikon line and have been using the PC sync port for everything.

Thanks so much smile

Jan 30 16 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Truman ReToucher Artist

American Glamour wrote:

Jan 30 16 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Truman ReToucher Artist

American Glamour wrote:

Yes the D600 is awesome... Before I bought I did reading on the 600 & 800, the only difference I could really find was the MPix.. 24 vs 36... the 800 photos are to large unless Billboards...

Jan 30 16 03:41 pm Link