Forums > General Industry > STILL haven't gotten pics - follow up again??

Model

Twilight Phoenix

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I worked with a photographer on a gym/fitness shoot back in late June. He told me the pics might take a little bit to be finished because he was starting med school, but he'd have them done as soon as possible. A couple weeks after the shoot, I messaged him (we had been communicating on facebook) just to follow up and ask how things were coming along. He said he had gone through some of the pictures but not all of them and they were looking good so far. He said he would let me know when they were finished.

Well, that was over two months ago. I know he's busy with med school, and I understand that since I've just started law school myself. I have seen him post some other photos on his photography page since then, but those could have been shot before my shoot with him. Part of me thinks two and a half months is too long to wait for photos and I should contact him again... but the other part of me thinks that would be pushy and annoying. What would you do?

Sep 08 13 01:10 pm Link

Model

FallenEcho

Escondido, California, US

I think you would be okay in contacting him again. Two months is a long wait.

Sep 08 13 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

RingoJ66

Los Angeles, California, US

that's way too long a plain old disrespectful. Ask him if you could have some of the originals, at least.

Sep 08 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

Were photos stipulated in the contract agreement?

Sep 08 13 01:32 pm Link

Model

Twilight Phoenix

Antediluvian Design wrote:
Were photos stipulated in the contract agreement?

Yes, but no time frame was stated, unfortunately. I know that was my mistake - I should have made sure those things were clear.

Sep 08 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Lauren Hailey wrote:

Yes, but no time frame was stated, unfortunately. I know that was my mistake - I should have made sure those things were clear.

It says in your port you are a law student. Um...

Sep 08 13 01:47 pm Link

Model

Twilight Phoenix

Antediluvian Design wrote:

It says in your port you are a law student. Um...

Hey now, I just started law school last week, cut me some slack tongue

Sep 08 13 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Lauren Hailey wrote:
Hey now, I just started law school last week, cut me some slack tongue

Oh whew...ok. I would just try to appeal to the photographer your agreement. Remind him you are a law student. I am scared shitless of lawyers. That might make him cough up the content. smile

Sep 08 13 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

My brother-in-law is a lawyer.  He often says "never make assumptions".  Looks like you got an early introduction to this rule.  Sorry.

Sep 08 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

My nephew is a lawyer. I haven't spoken to him in twenty years...haha

Sep 08 13 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

p.s.  just to follow up.  A model should never have to ask about photos.  If you do you are dealing with an amateur.  I add a paragraph to the bottom of the model release that tells the model exactly how many photos they will get at a minimum, the resolution of the photos, and wether or not there will be a watermark or logo applied to the photos.  A model should never have to make assumptions on these things, whether TFCD or paid.

Sep 08 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Put a snickers bar in his gas tank. smile

Sep 08 13 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gemini Dragon

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

I would contact him again and give him a gentle reminder! We can all get a bit behind when life gets busy and sometimes that little reminder puts our focus back where it should be!

You've been more than patient so far!

Sep 08 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Richard B Clark

Longview, Texas, US

In any case, professionalism, common courtesy and honesty should dictate that he get in touch with you to let you know what's going on. He could post some of the photos if he has any finished, and the rest when he can. You don't just forget someone and let things ride. Communication is vital in any kind of business.

Sep 08 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm going to assume, based on your port, that this was a TF* shoot.  It seems to me that you shouldn't have to wait that long for results.  I could understand 1 month, but this is stretching of way too long.  I think you should follow up again and try to get a commitment.  2 months it too long to go without followup.

I've never gone more than 1 week without having something back to the model.  I just finished a really fun shoot last Sunday where we were having so much fun that I somehow shot 1130 frames.  I already have photos out to the model from all 6 sets for her to review and choose the ones she wants processed for her portfolio.  Once she chooses. I'll have finished photos to her within a week after that.

She also has 3 processed photos from the shoot on her portfolio that I sent as an example of what to expect.

Don't delay, contact the photographer.

Sep 08 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

after two months, send a polite reminder. I do know some fellow photographers that are actually working though where sometimes it takes them in the extreme up to 6 months to drop images from tests. So two months is not unheard of. However, a friendly "how's it going" every now and then does not hurt. Most likely if he's in med school, he is living and breathing school and is not terribly serious about photography right now. I have a friend that is in med school doing the same. good luck

Sep 08 13 02:19 pm Link

Model

Twilight Phoenix

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will send him a gentle follow-up!

Sep 08 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Lauren Hailey wrote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will send him a gentle follow-up!

Good for you for understanding since you're both students. Gentle reminders are fine from time to time and two months can hardly be called "nagging"

You should get them :-)

Sep 08 13 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

When someone owes me something, I go knock on their door and get it.

Sep 08 13 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

my feeling is that if trade photographers can't get their act together (medical school sounds like a good excuse) in a month or two they should outsource to a retoucher or give the model a session CD so the model can do her own retouching. the model didn't come do the shoot to bask in the glory of the photographer, they wanted some images!

so i'd ask him if i could have a session CD so i could do my own retouching. less work for him.

Sep 08 13 06:59 pm Link