Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > No iphone threads?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Apple says it has sold 9M new iPhones since Friday

On a possibly related observation:  Apple stock is up nearly 5% as I write this.

Sep 23 13 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Senator concerned about Apple's fingerprint tech.

Possibly related to this thread:  Bounty Offered To Anyone Who Hacks iPhone Thumb ID.

Al Franken...smh...

Sep 23 13 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

Al Franken...smh...

Of course hackers could also follow you to a bar, steal your beer mug when you're done with it and get your fingerprint from that just as easily.

But... no one ever claimed that Al Franken had more than one brain cell.

Sep 23 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Of course hackers could also follow you to a bar, steal your beer mug when you're done with it and get your fingerprint from that just as easily.

But... no one ever claimed that Al Franken had more than one brain cell.

In 2007 I bought a laptop with a finger print scanner.  And that system ran Windows.  Why didn't they make a stink about it then?

Sep 23 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
In 2007 I bought a laptop with a finger print scanner.  And that system ran Windows.  Why didn't they make a stink about it then?

I bought a PocketPC with a fingerprint scanner back around 2003 or so.

Making things even worse, I had a beer in a bar in 2001, and left my fingerprints all over the beer mug.

Sep 23 13 08:59 am Link

Sep 23 13 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Sep 23 13 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Andialu wrote:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7817745920/h4C3AB76C/

It's not very smart, is it? big_smile

Sep 23 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

What Fun Productions wrote:

It's not very smart, is it? big_smile

https://www.courvo.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/splitting-hairs.jpg

But hey, whatever floats your iBoat. big_smile

Sep 23 13 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Apple's sales of new iPhones off to fast start.

At the risk of reigniting the same ol' religious war, here a tangential story:
Microsoft unveils new Surface, fixes shortcomings.

Sep 23 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

https://macdailynews.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/130923_touchmarks_latency_ios_vs_android.png?w=590&h=397

http://appglimpse.com/blog/touchmarks-i … latencies/

And this is important, why?

Sep 23 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andialu wrote:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7817745920/h4C3AB76C/

Cute.. but you're barking up the wrong tree. That chart isn't for loading times.

It's the latencies for the touch screen.  50ms is a substantial difference.

Here's a video (from MS Research) showing the difference between 100ms and 50ms (and even lower) latencies for a touch screen.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4 

It's a *very* important metric for the "feel" of responsiveness of a touch screen device.  It's probably one of the big reasons that people feel iOS is "smoother" or "snappier" than Android.

Sep 23 13 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

See my link above.  It's *extremely* important.

You should watch the video and also read the article WFP linked to.

Sep 23 13 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

Never mind

Sep 23 13 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andialu wrote:

You can supply all the data you want. I'm speaking as a consumer that currently owns both products. I DON'T CARE. I can not see an appreciable difference between the two in regards to load times.

You didn't read what I wrote.. did you?

This has *nothing* (zero, zilch, nada, not a little bit, ningun) to do with load times.

This is (to repeat myself) all about how fast the touch screen responds to touch events.

(Did I mention it has nothing to do with load times?)

Sep 23 13 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

Wye wrote:

You didn't read what I wrote.. did you?

This has *nothing* (zero, zilch, nada, not a little bit, ningun) to do with load times.

This is (to repeat myself) all about how fast the touch screen responds to touch events.

(Did I mention it has nothing to do with load times?)

I just don't care. I have both products and they both work great. I feel bad for you guys. You sit here and bicker about such unimportant shit.

Sep 23 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

And the chart is for the iphone 5. The 5s is supposed to be much, much faster.

Sep 23 13 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andialu wrote:

I just don't care. I have both products and they both work great. I feel bad for you guys. You sit here and bicker about such unimportant shit.

It may not be important to you (and that's fine) but it's important to me.

I feel sad for you.. intentionally doing something (watching us bicker) which will make you feel bad.  Why would you do that to yourself?  Go sit in the sun or something.  We'll be fine.  You, however, should not do stuff that makes you feel bad.

Sep 23 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

Wye wrote:
It may not be important to you (and that's fine) but it's important to me.

I feel sad for you.. intentionally doing something (watching us bicker) which will make you feel bad.  Why would you do that to yourself?  Go sit in the sun or something.  We'll be fine.  You, however, should not do stuff that makes you feel bad.

Is it *really* important to you? lol

Sep 23 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Andialu wrote:

considering that the main interface I have to the device is the touch screen. Yes. It's important that the latency be as low as possible. It's not the most important thing. But it's on the list to be sure.

Sep 23 13 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Andialu wrote:

No reason to get snarky...

Here's something important:

Gold iPhone 5s vs 50 caliber
http://youtu.be/c_gEiU_FDxQ?t=3s

Sep 23 13 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Andialu wrote:

I get what he's saying and it comes from my gaming.

Do have a really good only gaming experience with certain games, 50ms or lower really is important.  Particularly with precision weapons.  Other less demanding games you might have a good time with something as high as 300ms.  You can still have a great time at 150ms.  But again, for precision weapons (think of sniper rifles), it's extremely important to have that value as low as possible...so that when you "pull the trigger" you hit your target.  With lag such as 300ms...you can just about forget it because the odds are increasing in that your target is not really where you think they are.  And they'll seemingly be invincible.

You may not think you notice it...but you do if the difference is great enough.  You laugh, but...would you be ok with 1 second of a delay?  it's just 1 second...really not that big a deal, right?

Sep 23 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Wye wrote:
See my link above.  It's *extremely* important.

You should watch the video and also read the article WFP linked to.

Yeah, but as a skeptic, it's hard to accept performance data so quickly after the product releases from a group that I've never heard about.

And I'm not sure a ~60 millisecond difference is all that significant.  It's just one measure -- performance is impacted by lots of measures, like processor speed, application optimization, IO speed, display speed, maybe Wifi network speed, and what have you.

So, why is it "extremely" important?

Still seems to me that we are comparing Tweedledee to Tweedledum, and none of these measures are all that significant.

Sep 23 13 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yeah, but as a skeptic, it's hard to accept performance data so quickly after the product releases from a group that I've never heard about.

The data is about a phone that has been out for over a year.

Sep 23 13 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

And I'm not sure a ~60 millisecond difference is all that significant.  It's just one measure -- performance is impacted by lots of measures, like processor speed, application optimization, IO speed, display speed, maybe Wifi network speed, and what have you.

Still seems to me that we are comparing Tweedledee to Tweedledum, and none of these measures are all that significant.

Did you watch the video? The difference a 50ms change response time is dramatic.

Did you read the article about their methodology? They are testing not just bare displays but software directly on the device.  They wrote a tool on each device that would respond as fast as technically possible for the platform to a touch event and then shot high speed video to record the response times.  It's a reasonably real world test.  BTW.. they were testing an iPhone 5.. from last year.  Along with the Samsung GS4 from earlier this year, among others.

Don't you have a degree in user interfaces? If so you should understand that response times and latencies are integral to the user experience.  A lag of 50ms is big.. a lag of 100ms is *massive*.

Sep 23 13 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I like the iPhone because it looks pretty and it's easy to use for people that aren't the brightest when it comes to technology....

Do I care that it's 98098765678 faster or slower then the other phone brands out there? No, why would I? it works for me and that's all that matters. So I don't get why people on this thread are trying to convince others to agree with their opinions or convince people that they are right....

People will show charts and experiments that people have done with all the different phones out there to make their "favourite" brand look like it's the best one and the most original and tech savvy.

Blows my mind how catty you geeks can be tongue

Sep 23 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wye wrote:

Did you watch the video? The difference a 50ms change response time is dramatic.

Did you read the article about their methodology? They are testing not just bare displays but software directly on the device.  They wrote a tool on each device that would respond as fast as technically possible for the platform to a touch event and then shot high speed video to record the response times.  It's a reasonably real world test.  BTW.. they were testing an iPhone 5.. from last year.  Along with the Samsung GS4 from earlier this year, among others.

Don't you have a degree in user interfaces? If so you should understand that response times and latencies are integral to the user experience.  A lag of 50ms is big.. a lag of 100ms is *massive*.

But, the real test is to see if it can survive being run over by a freight train.

Sep 23 13 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

But, the real test is to see if it can survive being run over by a freight train.

Actually.. if it did survive being run over by a freight train then it's unlikely that the freight train would survive.  In the interest of fewer massive industrial accidents I'm happy to sacrifice my phone... big_smile

Sep 23 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Some people's indoctrination sunk to new depths by a spoof:

http://news.sky.com/story/1145439/water … ers-fooled

Sep 24 13 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

photoimager wrote:
Some people's indoctrination sunk to new depths by a spoof:

http://news.sky.com/story/1145439/water … ers-fooled

or maybe other peoples' indoctrination sunk to new levels by people pretending to be fooled by a spoof...

Sep 24 13 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Wye wrote:

Especially when you slow the video down by 8x.

The video also makes the point that a 100 millisecond delay translates to 10 cm when you are moving your finger at 1 meter per second.  Call me when iPhones have 1 meter screens.

I also note that your video advocates a latency period of 1 millisecond, which is still 1-2 orders of magnitude faster than the best commercially available product.

Who interfaces with their smartphones with non-stop fast swipes of the finger across the screen?  Most often, we are stabbing our fingers on virtual keyboards or icons.  In normal usages, how important is latency?

Finally, to me, performance should be measured in more "real world" applications, like how fast does your smart phone take to show you where the nearest gas station is.  How fast does your smart phone zoom in to a document or map or load a picture or ...?

So, go ahead & make a big deal about it, but to me, it's still Tweedledee & Tweedledum.

Sep 24 13 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Robb Mann wrote:
New 5s is definately evolutionary.

ROFLMAO not really, Finger print scanner is all and I wouldn't want that on my phone. Anther year another iphone playing catchup to the android market. Oh and the new iOS7 look reminds me of fisher price and windows 8

Sep 24 13 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robb Radford wrote:

ROFLMAO not really, Finger print scanner is all and I wouldn't want that on my phone. Anther year another iphone playing catchup to the android market. Oh and the new iOS7 look reminds me of fisher price and windows 8

But obviously the previous iPhones must have been pretty bad since so many of their owners felt compelled to rush right out and buy new ones as soon as possible. Perhaps they're all hoping to finally trade up to something they can be happy with for a while?

Sep 24 13 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

But obviously the previous iPhones must have been pretty bad since so many of their owners felt compelled to rush right out and buy new ones as soon as possible. Perhaps they're all hoping to finally trade up to something they can be happy with for a while?

you guys get more and more ridiculous with every post. Does this stuff you type actually make sense in your head before you type it or do you just close your eyes and hope for the best?

Sep 24 13 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

Wye wrote:

you guys get more and more ridiculous with every post. Does this stuff you type actually make sense in your head before you type it or do you just close your eyes and hope for the best?

I'm gonna have to agree with you. Wanting the latest and greatest is not the same as not being happy with what you had.

Sep 24 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

The data is about a phone that has been out for over a year.

iPhone 5S benchmarks vs. previous iPhones and Android phones from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049270 … -hype.html

Sep 24 13 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Andialu wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree with you. Wanting the latest and greatest is not the same as not being happy with what you had.

I suppose. Some folks buy a new car every model year, and buy a new camera every time a new model comes out (less frequent than cars and phones though), a new computer, etc. I guess if one has money to burn, then upgrading one's phone every time they come out with an incremental upgrade makes sense.

Sep 24 13 10:06 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Let There Be Light wrote:

iPhone 5S benchmarks vs. previous iPhones and Android phones from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049270 … -hype.html

Why would anyone buy an Android phone and then brag about it?

Sep 24 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

Why would anyone buy an Android phone and then brag about it?

Because I dig it, Mr. and or Mrs. snootypants. smile

Sep 24 13 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Robb Radford wrote:

Robb Mann wrote:
New 5s is definately evolutionary.

ROFLMAO not really, Finger print scanner is all and I wouldn't want that on my phone. Anther year another iphone playing catchup to the android market.

Go back to the first page, and/or look up the word 'evolutionary'. (Go ahead. We'll wait.)

Your own words describe evolutionary.

Sep 24 13 10:41 am Link