Forums > Critique > Models....let JM critique you

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I might say a lot, I might say a little.....I might pass out, because I took some xanax.  Either way post here and I will critique your work.  WEEEEEEEEEEE! smile

P.S.- MODELS ONLY

P.S.S- If I do pass out...keep posting and I will get to it in the morning! smile

Sep 13 13 09:13 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Posts: 14636

Los Angeles, California, US

Suuure! smile

I'd mainly like to lose some stuff and am feeling indecisive.

Sep 13 13 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
Suuure! smile

I'd mainly like to lose some stuff and am feeling indecisive.

Hello Kelli!!  It's been a while chica!

Ok well here are the ones that don't impress me much-

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130731/23/51fa02e605041_m.jpg
I'm not a fan of your look, in this image....I don't find it flattering at all. (It obviously got published....I personally wouldn't have. sad

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120614/11/4fda2b6166576_m.jpg
I get the commercial aspect of this....I just don't think it's that strong...even for commercial.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110304/00/4d709d5b2f069_m.jpg
It feels very out of place in your portfolio....which is why I'm assuming you took my photos of you out....(only partially butt hurt! tongue )......(Okay a lot butt hurt! tongue )

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130709/21/51dce4e03b5bb_m.jpg
Just not a fan of the overall feel and vibe of this photo.  Sorry, I don't have a better reason.

You touch any of the other ones and you will pay the wrath!!!  smile

Except maybe this one....again....for some reason not a fan (but not my least favorite)-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130709/21/51dce4d63d310_m.jpg

Miss You!  Hope all is Well!!! smile

Sep 13 13 09:33 pm Link

Model

Afton Bauer

Posts: 2

Lafayette, Indiana, US

how about me? im new, so maybe some advice too?

Sep 13 13 09:39 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Posts: 14636

Los Angeles, California, US

JM Studios wrote:

Hello Kelli!!  It's been a while chica!

Ok well here are the ones that don't impress me much-

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130731/23/51fa02e605041_m.jpg
I'm not a fan of your look, in this image....I don't find it flattering at all. (It obviously got published....I personally wouldn't have. sad

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120614/11/4fda2b6166576_m.jpg
I get the commercial aspect of this....I just don't think it's that strong...even for commercial.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110304/00/4d709d5b2f069_m.jpg
It feels very out of place in your portfolio....which is why I'm assuming you took my photos of you out....(only partially butt hurt! tongue )......(Okay a lot butt hurt! tongue )

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130709/21/51dce4e03b5bb_m.jpg
Just not a fan of the overall feel and vibe of this photo.  Sorry, I don't have a better reason.

You touch any of the other ones and you will pay the wrath!!!  smile

Except maybe this one....again....for some reason not a fan (but not my least favorite)-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130709/21/51dce4d63d310_m.jpg

Miss You!  Hope all is Well!!! smile

Thank you. smile

And yeah, my look is just so different now!

But the skating picture is staying-- for now-- because while I have a few pictures in my skates, some people assume they are just a prop and this is the only one I have on me actually skating. I plan on taking it down soon, since my hair is so different (again) anyway.

Thank youuuu again! smile

Sep 13 13 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Afton Bauer wrote:
how about me? im new, so maybe some advice too?

Afton, because you are new..I don't have a lot to critique you on.  However, from what I can see, work on your posing.  As of right now it feels forced. The trick with posing is to make it all feel natural in the photo.  Interact, feel it, never just do it.  Breath into your pose, it will cause your natural posture to sink into the pose, and make it feel more natural. 

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/520853a61c84b_m.jpg
I actually really like this shot...just wish you had a better quality image of it to post on here!

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/5208536296c5d_m.jpg
You did a decent job on facial control but your hands and legs are all wrong and feel awkward, which takes away from the photo. sad

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/5208534ebb890_m.jpg
The arm is forced and doesn't feel right...also the mouth and eyes are all wrong as far as facial control for this photo.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/520852d74f866_m.jpg
Here the facial control is too forced and you almost look scared or constipated.

Keep shooting....I think you have an intriguing look!  Practice, Practice, Practice...and study bad ass models.  With Practice effort and experience...I think you can get there.

All my best my love!

Sep 13 13 09:51 pm Link

Model

Afton Bauer

Posts: 2

Lafayette, Indiana, US

JM Studios wrote:

Afton, because you are new..I don't have a lot to critique you on.  However, from what I can see, work on your posing.  As of right now it feels forced. The trick with posing is to make it all feel natural in the photo.  Interact, feel it, never just do it.  Breath into your pose, it will cause your natural posture to sink into the pose, and make it feel more natural. 

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/520853a61c84b_m.jpg
I actually really like this shot...just wish you had a better quality image of it to post on here!

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/5208536296c5d_m.jpg[/img]
You did a decent job on facial control but your hands and legs are all wrong and feel awkward, which takes away from the photo. sad

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/5208534ebb890_m.jpg
The arm is forced and doesn't feel right...also the mouth and eyes are all wrong as far as facial control for this photo.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130811/20/520852d74f866_m.jpg
Here the facial control is too forced and you almost look scared or constipated.

Keep shooting....I think you have an intriguing look!  Practice, Practice, Practice...and study bad ass models.  With Practice effort and experience...I think you can get there.

All my best my love!

Thanks for all the advice! and all these are still from my first shoot ever in July.. still waiting for more and for the shots from my most recent shoot. Besides the super edited one... and that was from a networking thing in my area. Btw, I love your work!

Sep 13 13 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Afton Bauer wrote:

Thanks for all the advice! and all these are still from my first shoot ever in July.. still waiting for more and for the shots from my most recent shoot. Besides the super edited one... and that was from a networking thing in my area. Btw, I love your work!

Thank You very much my dear!  I truly wish you nothing but amazing things!  Keep in touch. smile

Sep 13 13 09:58 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Posts: 343

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes!!

Sep 13 13 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

W I L L O W wrote:
Yes!!

Willow....You fiery little vixen, you!  You know you are good, don't pretend like you don't know!  However 95% of the time you are on, you still have that 5% of the photoshoot...where self doubt(or maybe tiredness kicks in)  be careful of that...get out of your head about it.  This mostly applies to facial control, every now and then you lose a little focus there. My gut tells me this happens in that five percent time of the photo shoot!

You are D.I.V.I.N.E and too far away my love!

Sep 13 13 10:18 pm Link

Model

chasingKelly

Posts: 95

Stanton, California, US

Please do! I love your work!!

Sep 13 13 10:54 pm Link

Model

Marlene Potfer

Posts: 2799

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Same here.. loving your work and would really appreciate your critique (good or bad!). Thank you! smile

Sep 13 13 11:23 pm Link

Model

_M_M

Posts: 9

Dumont d'Urville - permanent station of France, Sector claimed by France, Antarctica

Me too, please! smile

Sep 13 13 11:29 pm Link

Model

winking_wonder

Posts: 5637

New York, New York, US

Sure!

Sep 13 13 11:36 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4375

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

As I'm steadily waiting for more photos to come in, I'd like you to look at what I have already

Sep 14 13 12:12 am Link

Model

E L I N

Posts: 199

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'll play!

Sep 14 13 03:03 am Link

Model

Affinity Finch

Posts: 652

Bodmin, England, United Kingdom

I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to modeling but i'd love some advice smile

Sep 14 13 03:20 am Link

Model

HEATHER 19

Posts: 1156

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Good morning smile

Sep 14 13 05:12 am Link

Model

Angelina L

Posts: 20

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I need your critique!!! Please! I feel I stop growing... Help! smile

Sep 14 13 05:29 am Link

Model

Tiffiney C

Posts: 570

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm interested

Tiff
www.TiffineyC.com

Sep 14 13 05:43 am Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

chasingKelly wrote:
Please do! I love your work!!

Kelly...You are gorgeous my love!  I think overall you do a really good job at modeling...your poses are pretty good.  Your eye control is spot on!  Be careful of your mouth every now and then you have it shut too tight...You'll see what I'm talking about below.  I think your portfolio would be tighter with the removal of some images

Be Careful of your mouth control...when your lips are closed and pursed, a flattering image they do not create. In fact I would get rid of these two from your port-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130718/00/51e7a02409dd0_m.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130717/23/51e7884baf60d_m.jpg

This photo belongs in a photographers portfolio, since it sells more of the lighting versus you-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130825/23/521af7eb1a3d2_m.jpg

Why, oh why.......the feet being cut off in this photo is uber distracting..this is a photographers fault not you....however the pose feels uber forced-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130804/19/51ff0de4e56f1_m.jpg

Your facial expression in this is bizarre...get rid of it-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130718/22/51e8c7d91da5b_m.jpg

This is more of a candid photo...not really modeling...doesn't really belong in your port-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130624/00/51c7f5a4c2ae0_m.jpg

Here is the mouth thing again-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130730/19/51f8768d71302_m.jpg

This belongs on facebook...not in your port-
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130820/20/52142ece3d3e7_m.jpg

Overall though you rock Kelly!  Keep up the great work!  All my best to you my love!

Sep 14 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Marlene Potfer wrote:
Same here.. loving your work and would really appreciate your critique (good or bad!). Thank you! smile

Hey Marlene!  You are stunning!  As far as your modeling, you are almost there....but you try to hard....back it up a little.  In acting, we would say that some people over-act (it feels forced and fake).  You are over-modeling- try to make it feel more natural and effortless.  This will come with practice and experience.
I personally am not a fan of the body paint images...I find them cheesy.  Also, this is just a personal observation...dark hair suits you better than the blond hair. 
Keep on shooting...bring it back a notch.  I wish you nothing but the best my dear!

Sep 14 13 07:24 am Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Model Mischi wrote:
Me too, please! smile

Mischi.....You are gorgeous!  I think for the type of work that you do, you are spot on!  Keep up the good work my love!

Sep 14 13 07:45 am Link

Photographer

JM Studios

Posts: 5956

Kansas City, Missouri, US

winking_wonder wrote:
Sure!

You are doing this for fun!  I never critique people that are doing it for fun, it would take the fun out of it!  So keep on doing what you are doing chica!

Sep 14 13 07:49 am Link

Model

Sarah_

Posts: 1487

Denver, Colorado, US

Ohhhh let's see! smile

Sep 14 13 08:52 am Link

Model

Maria Susanti

Posts: 546

Banyuwangi, Jawa Timur, Indonesia

im in smile

Sep 14 13 01:40 pm Link

Model

Nicholas Record

Posts: 77

West Jordan, Utah, US

I would like your critique please

Sep 14 13 01:47 pm Link

Model

Travis Milan

Posts: 49

AGUILA, Arizona, US

I would greatly appreciate your advice. I am new-so any help will be well received! Thank you in advance.

Sep 15 13 01:04 am Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3860

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

shoot

Sep 15 13 01:57 am Link

Model

Beth Chambers

Posts: 465

London, England, United Kingdom

Me please smile

Sep 15 13 02:27 am Link

Model

Lauren Hiebert

Posts: 13

Fresno, California, US

I have no modeling experience and I would like some advice on my photos!

Sep 15 13 02:33 am Link

Model

CarlyPeacock

Posts: 1441

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

ok go! smilesmile

Sep 15 13 05:21 am Link

Model

Raven Blake

Posts: 58

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Would love to hear from you ^.^

Sep 15 13 08:55 am Link

Model

Jupiter Red

Posts: 521

New York, New York, US

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Sep 15 13 09:26 am Link

Model

Ruqya

Posts: 58

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway

Shoot! let me know..

Sep 16 13 05:17 am Link

Model

julia00

Posts: 57

Rochester, New York, US

smile

Sep 16 13 04:01 pm Link

Model

Azia Rose

Posts: 228

Portland, Oregon, US

yes please!

Sep 16 13 04:46 pm Link

Model

May_Bee

Posts: 222

Basel, Basel-Town, Switzerland

please smile

Sep 16 13 04:58 pm Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Posts: 1148

Arcata, California, US

I would love to hear your opinion on my port if you are still going! smile I just added new pictures!

Sep 16 13 05:21 pm Link

Model

FranklinElsey

Posts: 71

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I'd like that very much (:

Sep 17 13 12:25 pm Link