Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Favorite foundation application tool/method

Makeup Artist

April Ross Makeup

Los Angeles, California, US

My favorite foundation brush, like so much of a shampoo that stops "working", I'm starting to question, and am road testing other options. What's your go-to: traditional/flat foundation brush, stippling brush, Beauty Blender, Real Techniques brush, good ole fashioned wedge sponge...what say you? I prefer cream and stick foundations by the way.

Sep 15 13 05:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Hair by Dani B

Totally depends on the finished look I want in the end. And my mood.smile

Sep 15 13 06:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

April Ross Makeup

Makeup by Dani B wrote:
Totally depends on the finished look I want in the end. And my mood.smile

For example...(yeah I'm pushy...but harmless wink)

Sep 15 13 06:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

My favorite tool for applying foundation is a Beauty Blender. I use liquids and creme foundations mostly.

I love my Beauty Blender

Sep 15 13 06:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

Right now I'm pretty fond of:

-A round domed brush (like the real techniques brush) that is on the stiff side and a cream foundation - I buff the foundation on in a circular motion and get the most coverage this way.
-a fluffy synthetic "airbrush" foundation brush (like the Sephora pro 55 airbrush) and a liquid foundation - I crosshatch or 'whip' the foundation on for a light to medium coverage.

I like the beauty blender too, but right now i'm more into brushes and 'working the product in'.

I rarely use a traditional flat foundation brush unless I need to blend concealer around the eyes or nose area.

Sep 15 13 07:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Veronica Fensel

Houston, Texas, US

This is my current favorite method, though I do love experimenting with new techniques/tools.

I use a flat foundation brush to place the base color (matching skin) as well as the highlight and contour colors (all using cream foundation). Then I buff in and blend all the colors together with a dense brush like the sigma flat kabuki. This works well on everyone so far with the exception of people with extremely dry flaky skin, in which case I just use a damp sponge (I like the ones from CRC) to gently press and blend the foundation on the skin.

Sep 15 13 10:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

April Ross Makeup

Veronica Fensel wrote:
This is my current favorite method, though I do love experimenting with new techniques/tools.

I use a flat foundation brush to place the base color (matching skin) as well as the highlight and contour colors (all using cream foundation). Then I buff in and blend all the colors together with a dense brush like the sigma flat kabuki. This works well on everyone so far with the exception of people with extremely dry flaky skin, in which case I just use a damp sponge (I like the ones from CRC) to gently press and blend the foundation on the skin.

I have seen this technique but have yet to attempt it. Keep meaning to. When first applied, it looks like it should be a disaster but the result is always flawless!

Sep 15 13 11:20 pm Link

Model

chasingKelly

Stanton, California, US

sweetcheekscouture wrote:
My favorite tool for applying foundation is a Beauty Blender. I use liquids and creme foundations mostly.

I love my Beauty Blender

This!

Sep 16 13 01:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

War Paint

Beauty blender is my favorite also wink

Sep 17 13 07:42 am Link