Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

Is Dermablend easy enough to apply or should I get a MUA

Sep 16 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

Nobody uses Dermablend? :-(

Sep 16 13 10:47 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Posts: 4040

Corona, California, US

What are you needing to cover?

That would help us focus the dialog.

Sep 16 13 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
What are you needing to cover?

That would help us focus the dialog.

Actually I was thinking most things...  Scars, tattoos and discoloration of the skin?

Sep 16 13 11:24 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

Posts: 4040

Corona, California, US

It's been a while since I used Dermablend. If memory serves its a thicker product that likes a little warming in order apply smoothly.

But like any concealer it's a matter of using the product enough to become familiar with it. Color correcting vs color matching - depending on the application you may need 2 layers (one for both).

Modern tattoos have so many colors that its not always realistic to expect a single concealer color will be enough. Each area of the design may require a different color corrector.

And, no matter what, the appearance of the skin texture will probably be affected because we're not changing the contours of the skin/scar/tattoo.

There have been lots of great discussions on both Dermablend and covering scars and tattoos.

Dermablend:
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/?tex … rt_order=0

Scar Covering:
http://www.sendu.me.uk/modelmayhem/?tex … rt_order=0

Sep 17 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks Lisa.  I am going to go ahead and get some and practice applying it.

Sep 17 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 39088

Portland, Oregon, US

Abiqua Production Comp wrote:
Is Dermablend easy enough to apply or should I get a MUA

If you're not a makeup artist, I can imagine that some models might find it a bit odd to have a photographer offering to apply it for/on them.

Of course, there are some very accomplished photographers who can and do apply makeup, but be aware that your sincere effort to be helpful could be seen as having other motivations.

Obviously, some locations of tattoos would likely require some help to apply to cover-up, but you might want to be cautious in your approach to make sure your professionalism isn't questioned.

Sep 17 13 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

If you're not a makeup artist, I can imagine that some models might find it a bit odd to have a photographer offering to apply it for/on them.

Of course, there are some very accomplished photographers who can and do apply makeup, but be aware that your sincere effort to be helpful could be seen as having other motivations.

Obviously, some locations of tattoos would likely require some help to apply to cover-up, but you might want to be cautious in your approach to make sure your professionalism isn't questioned.

I do the whole packaged deal and nothing but professionalism

Sep 17 13 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

IBTL

Sep 20 13 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 39088

Portland, Oregon, US

Abiqua Production Comp wrote:
IBTL

PS:  IBTL means in before the lock..

but, I don't see ANY reason why this thread would be locked.  hmm

Sep 20 13 11:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Posts: 1404

Los Angeles, California, US

Abiqua Production Comp wrote:
Is Dermablend easy enough to apply or should I get a MUA

yeah it's easy enough to apply.I use dermablend occasionally.but if you are having doubts you might want to find a makeup artist.

Sep 21 13 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

KhaDijah

Posts: 4

Liverpool, New York, US

I've actually mixed dermablend with mac studio fix concealer,  to cover a clients hyper pigmentation.  Adding dermablend to your regular concealer gives coverage for hours on end.

Sep 21 13 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

TriniDollDija wrote:
I've actually mixed dermablend with mac studio fix concealer,  to cover a clients hyper pigmentation.  Adding dermablend to your regular concealer gives coverage for hours on end.

Thanks.  I have heard of MAC as well.

Sep 22 13 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rhis Makeup Artistry

Posts: 1

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

I have used Dermablend whilst I was getting my Cert IV in Makeup, It is very easy to apply and it lasts upto 2 days! smile You can apply it just with your fingers if need be or a sponge if you are trying to cover tattoos. I suggest if you are going to sleep with it on wear something silky, rough clothing will leave patches in the makeup. smile Hopefullay this was helpful.
Rhi

Sep 22 13 06:25 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Kay Barney

Posts: 10

Arlington, Texas, US

I worked with Dermablend for almost a year. It's a really easy and user-friendly product. Just make sure you get the setting powder for Dermablend (the translucent one works for all skin tones)- it is the only product that will ENSURE the product becomes water/sweat/smear proof. Also, make sure the product has accurate drying time. If you're using the leg and body cover, it takes 5 minutes approx. to dry before you can set and apply another layer if needed. If you don't let it dry FULLY, the product will not seal itself. The colors also tend to dry darker and warmer than they appear upon application, but it works wonders and photographs well.

Sep 24 13 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Abiqua Production Comp

Posts: 101

Portland, Oregon, US

Kay Barney wrote:
I worked with Dermablend for almost a year. It's a really easy and user-friendly product. Just make sure you get the setting powder for Dermablend (the translucent one works for all skin tones)- it is the only product that will ENSURE the product becomes water/sweat/smear proof. Also, make sure the product has accurate drying time. If you're using the leg and body cover, it takes 5 minutes approx. to dry before you can set and apply another layer if needed. If you don't let it dry FULLY, the product will not seal itself. The colors also tend to dry darker and warmer than they appear upon application, but it works wonders and photographs well.

Thanks Kay.  This really helped.  I am getting a more clear idea of what all to use for hiding Tattoos.

Sep 24 13 03:15 pm Link