Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Review: Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX slimmer, sharper

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Review: Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX slimmer, sharper.

Y'know -- I don't have much use for a tablet (maybe a laptop, but not a tablet).  To me, tablets are entertainment delivery devices (yes, I know that there are other, more serious "business" usages, but those usages are things I don't need & won't use).  As such, they would be a distraction and time wasters.

Still, the Kindle Fire is the "forgotten" tablet.  This is not an "in-depth" review, but it looks interesting.

(I am thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite during the holiday sales -- my aging eyes might appreciate books in which I can change the font size).

Sep 25 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

I have been a Kindle fan since they came onto the market.  I had the first generation Kindle Fire and upgraded to the Fire HD when it became available.  Screen resolution is what sold me on the Fire HD.  It blew the Nexus 7 away when viewing photos and videos (my girlfriend has a Nexus, so I was able to do a comparison with the same files).  The size makes it ideal for carrying it around and I use it as a video and photo portfolio as well as for reading books.  All that said, the Kindle was a bit heavy compared to other similar sized tablets and not having a rear facing camera or SD card slot really sucked.  I think I know what Santa is bringing me for Christmas.

Sep 25 13 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

That's why I am thinking about the Paperwhite.  It's small & light, lighter than the books I carry around.  I figure that wherever I live, I accumulate books, and I hate to throw them away, but I can't really get rid of them fast enough.  A local bookstore, one of the best in the country, does take & sell used books, but I don't avail myself of that often enough, and they are selective.

Full powered tablets just don't appeal to me yet.  If I'm out, I'm carrying my camera & looking for street photography or I'm with people.  If I want to watch video or play games, I'll do that here.

Sep 26 13 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Looknsee Photography wrote:
That's why I am thinking about the Paperwhite.  It's small & light, lighter than the books I carry around.  I figure that wherever I live, I accumulate books, and I hate to throw them away, but I can't really get rid of them fast enough.  A local bookstore, one of the best in the country, does take & sell used books, but I don't avail myself of that often enough, and they are selective.

Full powered tablets just don't appeal to me yet.  If I'm out, I'm carrying my camera & looking for street photography or I'm with people.  If I want to watch video or play games, I'll do that here.

If an e-ink reader is all you need and/or want then nothing will be better than the Kindle.  It's an exceptional device that works precisely as advertised.

Sep 26 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm really interested in the 7" fire hdx. Looks like everything I need in a tablet for just over $300, for a 64gb model.

Sep 27 13 03:57 am Link