Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Advancing Makeup Career?

Makeup Artist

ShelbysMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I am currently enrolled in an Esthatician program, it's Basic.

I'd love to take an advanced course from a Makeup school, such as Joe Blasco.

What are you thoughts?

I want to move to either NYC or LA, so I thought it would be a good idea to advance my career in one of these areas, to make some contacts for after school.

Oct 05 13 04:30 pm Link

Model

Janine Valentine

San Francisco, California, US

I'd say finish up with esthetician school and then consider going back to get a certificate in makeup application. I'm sure someone will disagree with me...but unless you are planning on having a background in special FX, movies, TV then there truly is no need to go to a makeup school.

If you are interested in doing these things I'd say check this board out for more info on MUA unions: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=333420.

If you are interested in doing weddings, editorials, runways, etc etc...then I'd say just take a few workshops to sharpen your skills. The fact that you will be an esthetician is often good enough for most people to feel comfortable with their faces.

I know a lot of MUAs who work in LA and make a full time living just doing freelance. I'm talking gigs like Nasty Gal, different modeling agencies, magazines, etc. She does a lot of more natural sort of billowy work too which really doesn't require a TON of MUA skill once you master it.

I'd say work on your port now. Get as much as you can covered: dramatics, avant garde, natural, bridal, etc etc. Network, network, network. If you can even try to see if you can get some gigs in LA and make a little trip out there! Get your foot in the door smile.

Oct 06 13 11:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

Definitely finish your esthetician course! It gives you more possibilities for finding work (salons, agencies, more to offer clients freelancing). I really wish I had esthetics under my belt already! I'm planning to take a course sometime, next year. smile

Oct 07 13 09:50 am Link