Forums > Model Colloquy > Hairy arms
guide forum

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

New York, New York, US

I asked my gal about this.  She's also Italian and I would think she would have hair on her arms, but she doesn't.

She told me she had been shaving her arms since she was 16.  Who knew???

Oct 30 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

Some do some don't ... There is also waxing ... I mean it all varies ..
Sometimes it's ok. Other times it's annoying to retouch out ..

Oct 30 13 02:30 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

uhm, it's kind of funny to shave arms but as the modern female is only allowed hair on her head, around the eyes and just above them anyways one might as well do it.

Oct 30 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Snowmonkey Design

London, England, United Kingdom

Amadea T wrote:
Arm hair is easy, but what to do about the silver streak that goes from my hair line to my tailbone? lol

I am dead serious.

Just got images from the desert and you can clearly see blond fuzz on my back. LMAO

(I just had a nightmare where I forgot to wax and my toes and knuckles were super hairy. I mean Monkey hairy! )

hmm, or Monkey Magic smile

Oct 30 13 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Snowmonkey Design

hmm, personally I don't think a woman should have to shave her arms..for me it natural..n when light falls on it also can be very beautiful..but then I grew up in 70s. smile

Oct 30 13 04:14 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Hopkinsville, Kentucky, US

Rik Williams wrote:
I have found some models who diet heavily will sometimes grow fine facial hairs/fuzz...
NOW THESE can be a real pain at times on beauty retouching.

Arm hairs? I've rarely taken notice to be honest.

I got those but not from dieting, I got them from being poor and hungry and learned later while studying for my nursing license that its directly related to malnourishment. I also really first noticed them when I was a long distance runner, (again, likely too little nourishment.)

Gosh, I'd bet I wouldn't have stunted out at 5'11 and 3/4 if I had good nourishment in my late teens!, (yes, I've shrunk and inch and a quarter since then!)
Jen-with lots of peach fuzz that grows long and a blonde beard is no more fun than a dark beard for me, on me

Oct 30 13 06:03 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

imcFOTO wrote:
So my question is - do other models shave their arms or what? What should I tell models who ask? Obviously legs and 'other' areas are already covered.

And since I'm asking awkward questions. What about upper lip or even chin hair?

Not trying to embarrass anyone - so just generic answers are helpful.

"Do other models shave their arms?"
I do not. I only only only shave my arms if I am working with liquid latex or if I am working in a big time project where I am asked to.

"What should I tell models who ask?"
Leave it up to their discretion. It sounds like you don't mind, right? Just let them know that if they have very dark/thick hair, it may show up in the images.

"What about upper lip or even chin hair?"
I shoot a lot of beauty, so I personally get rid of upper lip/chin hairs. They aren't really dark or noticeable or thick, but... I'd rather let the retoucher have less work than more smile

Oct 30 13 06:35 pm Link

Model

Amber Tench

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Personally, I have shaved my arms since I was about 14. The first time I did it I got teased badly in highschool, but they moved on quickly and ultimately it was far less teasing than I got for having hairy arms.
I have naturally really dark hair, which meant dark, long, thick arm hair. Worse than guys that I have seen. I was tired to being teased or embarrassed about it so I got rid of it. Never looked back since... and it seems the older I get, the more of the "norm" it is of other people doing it.

Oct 30 13 06:41 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:

I am not a big fan of shaved models though most of mine do it. Totally shaved makes them look like pre-pubescent boys, a look which repels me.  I really prize models who look like natural men. If they shave theor chests, armpits, crotch, even rectal area they shave their arms too. I hate the metrosexual look.

Then to add insult to injury they come in with heavy five o'clock shadow. So they look grody in the face but boy like in the rest of their bodies.

yikes.  WTF!!!!    They shave their ass....hole?!!!!!!

Oct 30 13 07:17 pm Link

Model

Cree Synster

Milledgeville, Georgia, US

I hate shaving. I pretty much only do it, when I notice the hair on my leg (or I run my hand over my leg for whatever reason and notice it). Would love to live in an american society where it was cool for girls not to shave.

Oct 30 13 09:20 pm Link

Model

Annoula D

Cliffside Park, New Jersey, US

I never shaved my arms until i started modeling 3 years ago, but now i can't live without it.. have to shave everything lol my hair doesn't grow back fast either.. shave like once every two weeks for the arms.. once a week for my legs..

Oct 30 13 10:17 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

MyrnaByrna Jen B wrote:
I got those but not from dieting, I got them from being poor and hungry and learned later while studying for my nursing license that its directly related to malnourishment. I also really first noticed them when I was a long distance runner, (again, likely too little nourishment.)

Yes, I've definitely heard before that malnourished people develop downy hair on their bodies, though I can't for the life of me remember why. Warmth?

Edit: Google says yes. "But while hair may be lost from their heads, anorexics can expect to grow new hair on their face and bodies. Lanugo, a soft, downy hair that grows largely on the face, back and arms, is nature's defense against periods of starvation and malnutrition -- it is the body's attempt to keep itself warm to survive. "

Though I wouldn't suggest you try and diagnose anyone's mental state by their body hair.

Oct 31 13 10:37 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Amadea T wrote:
Arm hair is easy, but what to do about the silver streak that goes from my hair line to my tailbone? lol

I am dead serious.

Just got images from the desert and you can clearly see blond fuzz on my back. LMAO

(I just had a nightmare where I forgot to wax and my toes and knuckles were super hairy. I mean Monkey hairy! )

Peach fuzz! I know exactly what you're referring to.

Oct 31 13 06:10 pm Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I went to school for hair removal (and makeup and skincare), and I have to say that you shouldn't shave your arms; you should only ever get them waxed. It's the easiest and fastest way to get it done, and if you shave them, you will have a big stubble problem--bigger than with legs, usually. You wouldn't believe the amount of shaven arms I've had to fix in my lifetime.

Nov 01 13 04:00 am Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I generally shave my arms, even though I have blond hair.

I have shot models before (beauty) whom I noticed had really noticeable facial hair when I uploaded their shots. Definitely ruins a shot & can make photoshop a total pain in the ass. :-/  I feel awkward bringing it up ahead of time, but I usually include a mention of it in my call sheet w/all the other info. (Though I don't know if it actually helps).

Nov 02 13 09:32 pm Link