Photographer

Swank Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Hey guys...question...how good is Lightroom 5 exactly? I currently have CS5/Nik/Topaz.

But today I was advised to get Lightroom 5 and use it instead because the quality control over the light is far better?

Are they blowing smoke up my tail or what?

Is Lightroom 5 far better to use post work wise?

Thanks!

BTW...I went ahead and downloaded the 30 day trial just now to see if I do like it or not

But I am still interested in opinions.

Again...thanks

Oct 30 13 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

It's really not a question of LR vs. PS.
They serve different functions although there is some overlap.

LR is for working with many images (work on one and non-destructively apply the changes to the rest), for raw conversion: exposure, color, etc.

PS is best for more detailed work after the RAW has been converted, such as pixel level d&b, curves stuff, etc.

I used LR for quite a while having switched to Phase One's Capture One Pro 7 a few months ago. I still use Photoshop CS5 as the detail part of my workflow.

Oct 30 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

It really depends...
are you doing lots of editing, liquify, clone stamping? (get ps or the like)
or just messing with the colors, brightness, etc? (get lr or the like)
or both? (get both!)

Oct 30 13 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Imperious Images

Sarasota, Florida, US

I use it for 85% of my workflow. Highly recommended.

Oct 30 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Blowin smoke up yur A$$
I bought ver3 and worked at learning 4
Never felt any need to use it over PS
Do not recommend

Oct 30 13 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

It's not light-room vs PS, it's LR vs Capture One Pro and IMO adobe does not get this round.

Oct 30 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

John Mathys

Lee, Massachusetts, US

I love the program, though I find myself missing layers spot removal needs some work. If you do lots of retouching, PS. If your main concern is powerful processing of lots of files in a short time, LR. LR can do a bit of retouching, but the tools aren't as friendly (for instance, no layers).

Oct 30 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Edit in LR, retouch in PS.

You basically have the same amount of control over exposure in Photoshop's RAW editor, but dealing with your RAW files in LR makes for a much better workflow.

Oct 30 13 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just think of Lightroom as the digital darkroom that we photographers used years ago.  Photoshop is the digital version of what retouched did, two different products for two different professions.

You could learn both if you choose, but I find LR a required part of my workflow (or CapturePro, Apeture).  I can subcontract the retouching if I choose but I feel LR is really part of my role as the photographer.

Oct 30 13 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

joe ake

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

You are all missing the point! Lr is a cataloging system that can do basic developing. If your not cataloging and organizing you work shame on you no mater your choice Lr or Phase One!

Oct 30 13 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

how about this, LR 3 vs LR 5

I don't think the "raw processing" and "better noise handling" stuff is inherently or AESTHETICALLY better between LR versions, Capture One versions and the like

I think they just look different. And I'm not shooting at ISO 1 billion anymore, so thats not really a factor.

Oct 30 13 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

C.C. Holdings  wrote:
how about this, LR 3 vs LR 5

I don't think the "raw processing" and "better noise handling" stuff is inherently or AESTHETICALLY better between LR versions, Capture One versions and the like

I think they just look different. And I'm not shooting at ISO 1 billion anymore, so thats not really a factor.

Yo Eric... DUDE... I shot with you on the Cruiseboat Photoshoot a few weeks ago... never saw you shooting even close to 1 million ISO... lol

Oct 30 13 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Select Models wrote:

Yo Eric... DUDE... I shot with you on the Cruiseboat Photoshoot a few weeks ago... never saw you shooting even close to 1 million ISO... lol

just being tongue in cheek!

Nov 01 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

ShutterSpeedPhotography

Tempe, Arizona, US

As being someone that uses Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6 I'd say both are great.

If you do more batch image editing and want more consistency with pictures go with Lightroom.

I use photoshop for any multi layered editing or if I only have 3 imaged to edit

Nov 01 13 08:51 pm Link