Digital Artist

umutyildiz0

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

hi,
how to you using for dodge burn, micro dodge burn brush?

and

http://media.digitalcameraworld.com/fil … dnb_03.jpg

Where can I get this set?
How do i?

Nov 06 13 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

You don't need any special brushes to do DNB. Soft round brush, 25% spacing, pen pressure off, 100 flow, low opacity and just paint. smile

Nov 06 13 11:55 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
100 flow, low opacity and just paint. smile

Might get better results with low flow and high opacity.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17985963

Nov 06 13 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Peano wrote:

Might get better results with low flow and high opacity.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17985963

Really, you do it that way? smile I don't like how it makes "corners".

I do it either 100 flow, low opacity, or both of them at low opacity, or even both of them at low opacity and pen pressure on. smile

Nov 06 13 03:50 pm Link

Retoucher

Abe Rempel

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I think the methods you use to D&B are up to you. Whatever's comfortable. The end result is what matters. Just find what works for you.

Nov 06 13 04:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
Really, you do it that way? smile I don't like how it makes "corners".

Show an example, please?

EDIT: And while you're at it, tell me, please, why you think the top result (choppy transitions) is better for sculpting than the bottom result (smooth gradient).

https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7366/yguo.jpg

Nov 06 13 05:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Abe Rempel wrote:
Whatever's comfortable. The end result is what matters.

Suppose that what is comfortable for the retoucher produces an end result that is worse than what is uncomfortable for the retoucher. Which way do you go then? See my post above for illustrations of what I'm getting at here.

Nov 06 13 05:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Abe Rempel

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Peano wrote:
Suppose that what is comfortable for the retoucher produces an end result that is worse than what is uncomfortable for the retoucher. Which way do you go then? See my post above for illustrations of what I'm getting at here.

I don't believe there is only one way to do things. There are definitely wrong ways, but I don't think 1% opacity with 100% flow is going to cause much damage. I'm sure there are many who use those settings but still produce great work.

Nov 06 13 09:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Peano wrote:

Abe Rempel wrote:
I don't believe there is only one way to do things.

Neither do I, nor have I implied any such thing.

I don't think 1% opacity with 100% flow is going to cause much damage.

Well, I posted a pretty clear example of the choppy gradations it causes. If you're happy with that, carry on.

Nov 07 13 06:19 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

I do almost all my D&B at 100% flow, with opacity around 3-10 and pressure off. The opacity is the only parameter that I adjust. I find it far easier to concentrate on what I'm doing that way. I go back repeatedly over areas if necessary. I find it difficult to judge the flow amount when it is 'under the brush' and I would rather keep moving back and forth across the image to keep a fresh eye, rather than trying to nail any one area in one pass. Perhaps at a large scale, for broad modelling of form, I might occasionally consider using the flow option, but for subtle smaller scale D&B work I don't think it matters visually.

Nov 07 13 07:11 am Link

Retoucher

Abe Rempel

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Peano wrote:

Peano wrote:

Abe Rempel wrote:
I don't believe there is only one way to do things.

Neither do I, nor have I implied any such thing.

Well, I posted a pretty clear example of the choppy gradations it causes. If you're happy with that, carry on.

I don't use 1% opacity with 100% flow. Don't assume.

I already answered your original question before you asked it. I said the end result is what matters. If the method you are using is holding your end result back, then it's clearly not working.

Nov 07 13 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

AKMac wrote:
I do almost all my D&B at 100% flow, with opacity around 3-10 and pressure off. The opacity is the only parameter that I adjust. I find it far easier to concentrate on what I'm doing that way. I go back repeatedly over areas if necessary. I find it difficult to judge the flow amount when it is 'under the brush' and I would rather keep moving back and forth across the image to keep a fresh eye, rather than trying to nail any one area in one pass. Perhaps at a large scale, for broad modelling of form, I might occasionally consider using the flow option, but for subtle smaller scale D&B work I don't think it matters visually.

Exactly, I don't use opacity 1% and go over the same area 10 times, for that I lower both the opacity and flow.

But, when there is a dark spot, and 1 or two passes od opacity 3% flow 100% makes it go away, I'd rather do that than rub the same spot for 10 seconds.

I even use the lasso tool, and then just lift/lower the area with a curve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm here both to help and to find out new things myself, but advice I gave is true in a sense that this is how I do it.

Nov 07 13 11:25 am Link