Forums > Critique > Which is best for MM?

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just had some acting headshots taken, and like both of these.  Which one should I keep for THIS site?  TIA!  smile

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131106/08/527a72b855af2_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131106/08/527a72cb757b6_m.jpg

Nov 06 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Lansing, Michigan, US

The first one.

Your facial expression in the second one looks sorta angry.

Just my opinion.

Nov 06 13 11:06 am Link

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The Effective Image wrote:
The first one.

Your facial expression in the second one looks sorta angry.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, my agency wanted them both.  Said the angry one would be good for a "Mean Girls" type of role.  Definitely agree the 1st one is more friendly!  Thanks for the input!

Nov 06 13 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ann77 wrote:
Just had some acting headshots taken, and like both of these.  Which one should I keep for THIS site?  TIA!  smile

What sort of work are you trying to get with this headshot?

Nov 06 13 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

The first one is pleasing.  The second photo is kinda strange with the facial expression.  If the second one had a different setting and outfit, it would be kinda cool though.  smile  You make a point with the mean girl thing.  I just wouldn't use it as an avatar on anything.. might confuse people.

Nov 06 13 11:15 am Link

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

What sort of work are you trying to get with this headshot?

For acting, my agency selected 4 headshots (3 are in my port) with different emotions portrayed and they will use the appropriate one for the role when submitting me.  For modeling, I just want to show a variety of expressions.  Trying to show I can be expressive!

Nov 06 13 11:35 am Link

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Will Snizek wrote:
The first one is pleasing.  The second photo is kinda strange with the facial expression.  If the second one had a different setting and outfit, it would be kinda cool though.  smile  You make a point with the mean girl thing.  I just wouldn't use it as an avatar on anything.. might confuse people.

Don't want to be confusing!  I'm really a nice person!  smile  So that's 2 votes for the 1st one!

Nov 06 13 11:37 am Link

Photographer

safe as houses

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

Let me be the first that likes the second photo more.

Nov 07 13 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

safe as houses wrote:
Let me be the first that likes the second photo more.

I'll second that 2nd.

Nov 07 13 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

I like the 2nd one best. The first is too how do you say high school senior looking...

Nov 07 13 07:33 am Link

Photographer

safe as houses

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:
I like the 2nd one best. The first is too how do you say high school senior looking...

+1

Nov 07 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Marin Photography NYC wrote:

My opinion as well.

Nov 07 13 07:41 am Link

Photographer

BlueMoonPics

New York, New York, US

I like them both.  The smiling one for acting headshots and the second for more of a fashion model feel.

For MM I would chose the second one.

Nov 07 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Both are nice.  I prefer #2.

Nov 07 13 08:16 am Link

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks for all the input!  I was leaning toward the 2nd one too, but I like to hear others opinions.  The only thing I didn't care for in the 1st was that my eye is partly covered.  It makes me want to push my hair back just looking at it!  smile  But it's still a good pic and different from the ones I have already.

Nov 07 13 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131106/08/527a72b855af2_m.jpg
Very nice shot
Few things seem slightly off for my taste
Chin could be raised ever so slightly
Move models left arm off to left more, rather then in front
Wish it was a solid background with out the window [or what ever it is]

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131106/08/527a72cb757b6_m.jpg
Top seems bunched up by left arm pit
Lipstick seems off on upper lip, models right side, like its missing on outside edge
Would really love to see super sharp eyes

Top image is my pick of the two

You are adorable, wish you well

Nov 07 13 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Sorry, I dont know if I will answer your question but maybe aas I write it will come out

but the pics have focus issues - perhaps its the retouching.   your lower chin line is so soft, The hair seems to be in focus but not your eyes- I see a lot of skin (face) retouching in your port and it seems to be here as well or the camera got it wrong.

In the first pic the sweep of hair near your eye bothers me and the second seems to be in a haze of sorts.

The red color is too pronounced for my taste in actor head shots as it over whelms you to a degree and the top itself is kinda complicated.

You are commercial material so a big genuine smile is really needed. The second shot may be of -the neither here nor there... type.

When submitting to CD its better to use ONE head shot for most roles- why?  As a young actor you need to get into the memory banks of the CD's head and varying your photos will interrupt their memory process. Some industry professionals here in NYC feel it can take 6 or more viewings of the same head shot before it finally seeps in to long term memory.

I will look at the pics again and make a choice

Nov 07 13 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

but for each I would crop the pic and make it horizontal so as to remove as much of the top as possible- as its not important and toooooo distracting

I'm a SAG actor btw so break a leg!!

Nov 07 13 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

First one.  Nice.

Nov 07 13 03:01 pm Link

Model

Ann77

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks All!

Nov 08 13 11:07 am Link