Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How would you fix this hairy arm?

Retoucher

Ryan Stever

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Any good tricks on fixing this hairy arm without plugins?

Portraiture kinda works and Im not a big fan of Topaz Clean. Wondering if there is another technique I could use without using a plugin.

https://s30.postimg.org/p5n61m535/Screen_shot_2013_11_27_at_8_15_58_PM.png

Thanks to anyone

Nov 27 13 05:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Pari Retouch

Nāshik, Maharashtra, India

I'd say dodge and burn to lighten the darker hair which attracts the attention.

Also in my opinion, you don't need to go too far with cleaning up the hair on arm, if I was retouching that arm I'd dodge some of the hair which are more visible and leave the rest as they are is it to maintain the realism of the image. Good luck!

Nov 27 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Pari Retouch wrote:
I'd say dodge and burn to lighten the darker hair which attracts the attention.

Also in my opinion, you don't need to go too far with cleaning up the hair on arm, if I was retouching that arm I'd dodge some of the hair which are more visible and leave the rest as they are is it to maintain the realism of the image.

Yes. You can remove all the hair, but it's waaay too much work, and unless you're getting payed for all that, just remove the most distracting ones. Even in most prominent magazines, you can find that only the most noticeable hairs are removed, rest are left alone.

Nov 27 13 05:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Ryan Stever

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ok ok,

good point guys thanks smile

Nov 27 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ryan Stever wrote:
Any good tricks on fixing this hairy arm without plugins?

Portraiture kinda works and Im not a big fan of Topaz Clean. Wondering if there is another technique I could use without using a plugin.

https://s30.postimg.org/p5n61m535/Screen_shot_2013_11_27_at_8_15_58_PM.png

Thanks to anyone

Calculate the blue channel into itself in Multiply mode. Create a new layer above the background layer and make your new calculated channel the layer mask, then invert the mask. Paint over the hairs using the neighboring arm colors. Took me about 90 seconds to eliminate the hairs on this small file. May take a bit longer on the high res..

Nov 27 13 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Robert Randall wrote:

Calculate the blue channel into itself in Multiply mode. Create a new layer above the background layer and make your new calculated channel the layer mask, then invert the mask. Paint over the hairs using the neighboring arm colors. Took me about 90 seconds to eliminate the hairs on this small file. May take a bit longer on the high res..

God damn it, you got here ahead of me! I was just thinking about selecting a channel with most contrast, inverting it, using it as a mask for a gradient map(gradient map becomes replacement for the hairs).

Nov 27 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:

God damn it, you got here ahead of me! I was just thinking about selecting a channel with most contrast, inverting it, using it as a mask for a gradient map(gradient map becomes replacement for the hairs).

Wasn't it you upstairs that said it was too much work?

smile

Nov 27 13 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Robert Randall wrote:
Wasn't it you upstairs that said it was too much work?

smile

I did, and I might have been wrong.

Adding all this selecting (especially if hair is on a gradient), then masking a couple of times down the gradient + DNB is something you'd do voluntarily? smile I wouldn't.

To the OP, you still need to clean up manually, don't just do a single channel selection and be done with it.

Nov 27 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I just recently had to do this and I use the frequency separation technique outlined here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyaeZmkZD8
However instead of using my healing brush set to normal I used it set to lighten instead to get rid of the dark hairs, then maybe use it set to normal to do some clean up after that.  Than just the usual dodge and burn.

Nov 27 13 08:53 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

There are so many ways. Here's another - Clone randomly from similar areas at 10 - 15% in Lighten Mode. When you want to remove dark hairs, pores etc, Lighten Mode is your best friend.

Nov 27 13 11:42 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Jakov Markovic wrote:
Yes. You can remove all the hair, but it's waaay too much work, and unless you're getting payed for all that, just remove the most distracting ones. Even in most prominent magazines, you can find that only the most noticeable hairs are removed, rest are left alone.

Jakov, with all my respects this is the second time I see you mentioning money or only do what you get paid for... for me that's a really bad attitude towards your work which at the end of the day still represents you...

Always do your best!

Nov 28 13 12:57 am Link

Retoucher

Dragos

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

1. duplicate layer
2. blur (until blend well all the hair)
3. change blend mode to Darken
4. make a stamp layer (cmd+alt+shift+E)
5. High Pass (same value as the blur)
6. adjustment layer Threshold (somewhere between 123-127 depend on image and resolution) must see all hair black & white)
7. go to Channels and cmd click on RGB  composite
now you have a selection of a hair (but not only). Invert selection.
8. create a Curve adjustment layer (double click on mask and ad 1-2 pixel on Feather)
9. delete all unnecessary layers (blur, HP, Threshold)
10. play with curves until al black hair vanishes, and put in a group with black mask
11 brush with white on a group mask (keep distance from the edge and other area you don't want to clean)

take 3-4 min
can make an action for this, and finish in… 1 min
I use in 90% of cases. in 10% I use FS.

cheers

Nov 28 13 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Always do your best!

Absolutely, but if you don't have all the time in the world at your disposal, you really need to prioritize. smile Don't take my answers as a Bible, I only say what I think at the moment, none of them are an absolute truth. I just learned that it can be roughly done if few clicks, which may be even faster than removing the most prominent hair.

Dragos wrote:
1. duplicate layer
2. blur (until blend well all the hair)
3. change blend mode to Darken
4. make a stamp layer (cmd+alt+shift+E)
5. High Pass (same value as the blur)
6. adjustment layer Threshold (somewhere between 123-127 depend on image and resolution) must see all hair black & white)
7. go to Channels and cmd click on RGB  composite
now you have a selection of a hair (but not only). Invert selection.
8. create a Curve adjustment layer (double click on mask and ad 1-2 pixel on Feather)
9. delete all unnecessary layers (blur, HP, Threshold)
10. play with curves until al black hair vanishes, and put in a group with black mask
11 brush with white on a group mask (keep distance from the edge and other area you don't want to clean)

take 3-4 min
can make an action for this, and finish in… 1 min
I use in 90% of cases. in 10% I use FS.

cheers

Great idea, to actually do it based on frequency, rather than luminosity.
I found that using a neutral gray layer set do divide, then selecting RGB channel (instead of using threshold) gives you more precise mask, or am I missing something?

Nov 28 13 05:23 am Link

Retoucher

Dragos

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Selection is not very accurate, this is why I use feather, but has a very good contrast.Your version has little contrast and I don't seen a visible effect when I pulled curves
But definitely going to test it on a hires image.

Nov 28 13 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Dragos wrote:
Selection is not very accurate, this is why I use feather, but has a very good contrast.Your version has little contrast and I don't seen a visible effect when I pulled curves
But definitely going to test it on a hires image.

You just do a curve on the mask itself, pull the middle up to give more contrast, yet the preciseness remains.

About the duplicating the layer, then blurring it and setting it to darken. You do that so that high pass has a softer transition, or?

I don't think you even need those two steps it if you do it as I experimented, as divide layer gets rid of everything lighter than 128. Right?

So:

double the layer
highpass to see the problem
colorfill of 128,128,128 set to divide blending mode
select rgb
make a curve (it will be strong if you pull the mid point quite high, but if you don't want to do that for whatever reason, just do a curve on a mask, pulling the masks mid point up)

Nov 28 13 07:52 am Link

Retoucher

Najan

Poitiers, Poitou-Charentes, France

It would be also Frequency Separation for me with the clone stamp tool on the high frequency layer, but the brush in Normal mode and a small opacity (around 30% or less).

ETA: Interesting method, Dragos. By bringing the curve slightly down it can help in bringing back/increasing the freckles.

Nov 28 13 09:24 am Link

Retoucher

Ledo retouch

Lodi, California, US

my first impulse was to use clone stamp on a clear layer lighten, but
Robert's solution might be better

Nov 28 13 10:25 am Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Walnut Creek, California, US

Frequency separation using the default 5-layer split with the Wavelet Decompose tool in GIMP works ok. Taking out the hairs on edge of the arm took the longest -- I cloned it out with a soft brush on the second and third frequency layers. It's far from perfect.

Here's the result.

https://i.imgur.com/FtH7D5Z.jpg

Nov 28 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ledo retouch wrote:
my first impulse was to use clone stamp on a clear layer lighten, but
Robert's solution might be better

The interesting thing about participating in these forums is seeing what others would do differently on the same problem. My way is a way, not better or worse.

Nov 28 13 12:01 pm Link