Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Beauty Edit- thoughts?

Retoucher

CiC

San Diego, California, US

https://v4s1.yimg.com/sj/2678/12959729124_638e63339d_b.jpg

Thank you!

*Photographer: TawnyHortonPhotography*

Feb 26 14 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

It's a very subtle retouch, I find it a little too bright, the color is better however.
A thing that stood out to me that hasn't been addressed is the flyaway that juts
out from her jaw and I think the image would be improved by moving catch lights from middle of pupil.

Feb 28 14 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chelse Ivonne

Mar 01 14 08:41 am Link

Retoucher

CiC

Thanks for the feedback! I had missed that hair, but it's fixed it in the image above.

Any more thoughts?

Mar 05 14 04:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Daniel Meadows

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I'm not at a calibrated screen right now but it looks like you did a good job with the tones. I'd have started with a less exposed conversion though, you've lost too much detail for my tastes.

Danny

Mar 06 14 10:52 am Link

Retoucher

CiC

Daniel Meadows wrote:
I'm not at a calibrated screen right now but it looks like you did a good job with the tones. I'd have started with a less exposed conversion though, you've lost too much detail for my tastes.

Danny

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the feedback! Any tips or tricks on how to improve the image?

Mar 06 14 09:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Whitney Minthorn

Pendleton, Oregon, US

Thumb is a little too saturated and a blurry looking patch to the left of the eye by ear.  Other than that it's great smile Too bright for my liking but it's still a good image.

Mar 19 14 08:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Whitney Minthorn

Pendleton, Oregon, US

Mar 19 14 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Adam W Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think you've done a beautiful job. I don't think this is subtle at all, in fact I wouldn't push it any further than you have. It looks natural, yet enhanced and polished which is exactly how beauty images should look.

One small thing, the fingernails - since they are so close to the face, you may want to work on the nails a touch, particularly tips of the 2nd and 3rd finger, to make them stand out.

Mar 20 14 08:31 am Link

Retoucher

Mike Needham Retouching

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I would be tempted to push the shadow underneath the hand, to a browner hue, rather than the muddy grey currently. As suggested the nails on the hand could do with a once over.

Mar 24 14 04:37 am Link

Retoucher

Leah Manzari

Los Angeles, California, US

I like the change in skin tones!  Just a few bits start to look blown out so maybe just a hair lower on the exposure.  Weird but the big thing that seems to jump out at me is that the teeth look the same in both images.  With the overall brightening of the skin tones, I think the teeth should go brighter as well....

Mar 26 14 04:58 pm Link

Retoucher

CiC

Wow, I thank everyone for the wonderful feedback! I will give her nails more attention for practice. Perhaps my screen reads darker, but it doesn't seem to bright, but I'll lower it a half stop or so and go from there.

Again, can't thank you enough.

Apr 04 14 03:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Tincture

New York, New York, US

I think it's way overdone.  You've lost most of the shape and contours of the face.  The shadow of her hand leaves the skin on the left very grey.  Her hair is over sharpened.  Her fingertips are pink.  Overall, it's too green, like pastel jaundice. 

I don't mean to sound pejorative, but one of the best skills to learn is to know when to stop.

Apr 14 14 08:45 am Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: I think that it is getting there honestly. However, I agree with the comment that the contour of the cheekbones and jaw are lost with the brightness. Maybe bring that back down so that they are not blown out, and you will be well on your way.

Also, the finger tip that is touching her face, maybe replace the color on the red portion, and correct the shadow color under her hand from so much deep grey to more skin tone in it. In color theory, reflected shadows are never exactly black, white, or grey. They always represent the color of the object or person they are formed from.

The rest of the image is looking good thus far. good luck

Apr 14 14 09:02 am Link