Forums > General Industry > Drake music video...possible scam??

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello fellow mmers!

I know you're all probably sick and tired of seeing scam posts but I don't know what else to do to find out hmm. I'm sorry to bug you guys but please help!

I applied to a kijiji ad calling for female models for a rap music video that was also posted on a site called mooncastings. I received an e-mail from a Marilyn Crawford saying that my pictures were reviewed and that I would be a good candidate for Drake's new music video. Initially I was very skeptical! She told me that Drake would make the final decision on who was picked and that I would have to do a skype interview with him because he was on tour. So I gave her my skype info. and Drake added me and we discussed a time to do the call. I did the call and and it was him on the other end but the sound didn't work so we just messaged. We did another final call a week later where I was asked to wear lingerie and dance. We did this and it was him again but no sound. He informed me that I was chosen for the job and that it was set to shoot at the end of January. This was then moved to the end of February due to his busy schedule and finally again to March 16, 2014. He gave me some details and said he would get back to me with the exact address and sample pictures of lingerie attire because he said I was responsible for buying the lingerie and I had to save the receipt so he could reimburse me. He still hasn't sent the pictures or the exact location and I can't reach him on skype because he set a mood message that says his screen is broken and he can't see messages. I'm getting really annoyed and thinking this is totally fake. I've still been skeptical the whole time but now I'm really doubting it!

Has anyone else applied to this ad and have you done the Skype interview with him?

Mar 13 14 09:37 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Yeah, that's a scam.

Mar 13 14 09:39 pm Link

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Seriously?! Omg I wasn't sure because it was him in the video. Have you had the same experience?

Mar 13 14 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Drake can't afford a new computer or skype from someone else's?

Yes scam.

Mar 13 14 09:46 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

AngelXOX wrote:
Seriously?! Omg I wasn't sure because it was him in the video. Have you had the same experience?

It was a recording of him. No, it didn't happen to me. It's just obvious.

Mar 13 14 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

This is how they get people to fall for scams. You want to believe it so badly that all the red flags are ignored.

They have casting directors for these things. The star talent may or may not be involved in the actual casting decisions, but they surely won't skype with every hopeful.

And to make you buy wardrobe is just cheesy. I'm pretty sure the dancers in a Beyonce video don't have to buy their own clothes.

Mar 13 14 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

If I looked anything like any major male pop star, I would get gullible models in lingerie and naked on Skype everyday of the week.

Mar 13 14 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

http://www.mooncastings.com/  is not working for me

Mar 13 14 09:58 pm Link

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry mooncasting no s at the end. I've remained skeptical the entire time but I don't know what to think. He never asked for more skype calls in lingerie and kept in touch the whole time with updates about the video. I did think about the video being fake and watched him during the calls but it looked really natural.

Mar 13 14 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

AngelXOX wrote:
Sorry mooncasting no s at the end. I've remained skeptical the entire time but I don't know what to think. He never asked for more skype calls in lingerie and kept in touch the whole time with updates about the video. I did think about the video being fake and watched him during the calls but it looked really natural.

It sounds like you want to proceed so please update this thread with any further requests from "Drake" to get advice, and don't accept any checks from him/them, don't send any personal info like your SS or bank account numbers.

If you're skeptical, listen to your gut.

PS. Scammers frequently link to legit websites, and talk about real castings, drop real industry names to gain people's trust.

Mar 13 14 10:33 pm Link

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CHAD ALAN wrote:
It sounds like you want to proceed so please update this thread with any further requests from "Drake" to get advice, and don't accept any checks from him/them, don't send any personal info like your SS or bank account numbers.

PS. Scammers frequently link to legit websites, and talk about real castings, drop real industry names to gain people's trust.

Thank you for the tip! The supposed shoot date is this Sunday so right now I'm just going to wait to see what happens and will definitely update with any new developments. I would love to give this miserable human being a piece of my mind!

Mar 13 14 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

AngelXOX wrote:

Its sounds odd but... A few years ago I met a model here who got a call from R.Kelly while we were shooting.   She let me hear the call and she said she knew Drake and I believe her.   He has his own label.   Some of these guys don't use casting agencies.   I mean well known artists.   This sounds very odd and I won't pretend to know what's going on but what would be the point of trying to trick you.   It doesn't sound like he's trying to con some money out of you.   In any case leave it alone until he contacts you again and get details like payment if any, where the shoots taking place, etc.

Mar 13 14 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

AngelXOX wrote:
He never asked for more skype calls in lingerie and kept in touch the whole time with updates about the video.

sounds like he is flaking on you.  instead of telling you he found a different girl, he simply do a fade away act. if a shoot is this Sunday and no contact then best to assume it will not happen.

Mar 13 14 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

1. You are always asked to dress in skimpy clothes, strip or pose in suggestive ways
2. The other person's screen or computer always has problems so you can't see them
3. The shoot date is always in the future or rescheduled
4. The first contact is always female, so you feel more secure
5. It is always a scam when all of the above are true

Enough of these traits have shown up in the forums that it's really easy

Mar 13 14 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

CHAD ALAN wrote:

AngelXOX wrote:
Thank you for the tip! The supposed shoot date is this Sunday so right now I'm just going to wait to see what happens and will definitely update with any new developments. I would love to give this miserable human being a piece of my mind!

Like Tony said above, it can't hurt to wait and see, as long as you're not taking any personal or financial risks.

Still...a common video scam is to say that their sound or their video is not working. Happens to girls all the time. They think they are showing outfits and how fast they can change in and out of clothes for a fashion show, thinking it's a female casting person on the other end who's screen is "not working".

It would certainly be great to have a possible scam story with a happy ending, but in this case I'm not banking on it. Sorry! smile

Mar 13 14 10:50 pm Link

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Knowing he is an artist with his own label is one of the reasons I moved forward with the whole thing. He never asked for any personal information or offer money in advance. I did the one skype call in lingerie and danced a couple minutes just to show I could move and would be comfortable wearing lingerie for the shoot because he claimed he didn't want flakes who got shy last minute on set. After that call he never asked for another. If this is a scam this guy must just be really bored because he hasn't asked for or offered money and never asked me to get naked (the underwear I danced in was fairly modest). Guess I'll find out soon lol

Mar 13 14 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I met a MM model who after a Skype nude interview got a free trip to Paris to shoot.   No sex involved according to her.   People find you where they find you.   It could be here or OMP or on Youtube.   It does sound odd but so did the figure models being flown to Paris.   Proceed with caution.

Mar 13 14 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

East West

CHAD ALAN wrote:
This is how they get people to fall for scams. You want to believe it so badly that all the red flags are ignored.

They have casting directors for these things. The star talent may or may not be involved in the actual casting decisions, but they surely won't skype with every hopeful.

And to make you buy wardrobe is just cheesy. I'm pretty sure the dancers in a Beyonce video don't have to buy their own clothes.

For the sake of this thread, let's say this is a real video shoot.

If this was a no-name artist then I would say this is typical but we're talking about Drake. Some artist are very hands on when it comes to every aspect of their brand. They usually pick the lead girl or girls but leave it up to the casting director for the extras. Plus a star performer will have a wardrobe stylist. If you have to pick out your own lingerie, then I would suspect that you are an extra...along with other background girls dressed in lingerie shaking their asses. Video shoots are notorious for releasing last minute call sheets. Pack some food, drinks, phone charger because you're going to be there all day just hanging out.

Mar 13 14 11:26 pm Link

Model

Angel Constance

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MDWM wrote:
If you have to pick out your own lingerie, then I would suspect that you are an extra...along with other background girls dressed in lingerie shaking their asses.

I asked if it was a video with several girls dancing or if it was one on one and he said it would be one on one.

Mar 13 14 11:43 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

AngelXOX wrote:

I asked if it was a video with several girls dancing or if it was one on one and he said it would be one on one.

I'm having a hard time picturing a major artist like him having his female lead buy her own wardrobe.

Mar 14 14 01:10 am Link