Forums > General Industry > Can't tell if this is a scam, help?

Model

VeronicaB

San Francisco, California, US

So I was reached out to by someone through my website and their offer seems legit but I'm wondering if I should ask for more information and be concerned or if this is just something I have never heard of.

first email:
Hi Veronica,
I'm emailing based on your MM profile.
Do you shoot fitness (sports bra + shorts) or swimwear style work?

second:
Hi Veronica,
To clarify, I am interested in commissioning a fitness and swimwear set from you. I found your MM profile and really liked your look so I would like to design my own concept and have you shoot it with a photographer. Hopefully you know someone local that you feel comfortable with.

Do you think for $150 you would be able to find a photographer to shoot 2 outfits in different backgrounds? I would like the photos to be exclusive to me, so not part of either your portfolio or the photographers. I like practicing my own editing skills, so I would just like the RAWs to work on myself.

third:
On the fitness side, I'd like minimal makeup and just a sports bra, workout shorts, and sneakers. Something along these lines: (links to normal fitness shots). I strongly prefer normal athletic positions (like stretching or lacing up sneakers) to artsy portrait or print poses. On the swimsuit side, I like to see a brightly colored bikini contrasted with grungy makeup or hair. Something like this: (links to examples of smoky eye). I really enjoy work that contrasts two distinct styles, like a very preppy swimsuit with vapid grungy eyes. For both, I have no preference for location as long as it's not a solid-color studio background. This is for me personally, not to be published anywhere.

Does this sound weird to anyone else? I left out my emails only because I was asking the questions and these were his answers. I don't know if I should pursue this further, any help? Thank you!

Apr 24 14 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Seems legit so far.

I assume that he won't extend his request to you taking topless selfies or something like that.

If you can find a willing photographer for the money and still make enough yourself. Just get the money before you send any images.

Apr 24 14 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Honestly it sounds like a legitimate client and use as long as their payment clears.The  They are helpful in providing clear and helpful instructions on what they need.  The main concern is simply that $150 to split between you, the photographer, and the MUA is very little.  I don't know why any experienced model or photographer would spend 2-4 hours on a shoot and provide exclusive rights for just $50-75. 

The shoot might be viable for $300-500 with a 50% deposit.  Talk to a friendly photographer to get their rate, a MUA to get their rate, and make a counter offer.  A deposit by PayPal will quickly separate real clients from scams.

Apr 24 14 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Loki Studio wrote:
Honestly it sounds like a legitimate client and use as long as their payment clears.The  They are helpful in providing clear and helpful instructions on what they need.  The main concern is simply that $150 to split between you, the photographer, and the MUA is very little.  I don't know why any experienced model or photographer would spend 2-4 hours on a shoot and provide exclusive rights for just $50-75. 

The shoot might be viable for $300-500 with a 50% deposit.  Talk to a friendly photographer, get their rate, and make a counter offer.

Yeah... that.

SO, you're going to pay me even half would only be $75 to shoot you in a few outfits for a few hours and I'm not supposed to be able to do anything with the photos?

Only if we also shoot 2 hours of what I want that's not part of the images you send on to the client.

It sounds like an ok offer, but finding someone to agree to shooting you for it might be a more difficult task.

Thinking about it further... I don't understand why this person wants you specifically and wants the exclusivity of the images.  If he's on MM, then he should know that people offer up images to retouch for practice or whatever all the time in the DAR forum.

I can't help but think because of the specifics of the request that these images might be later sold on barely legal sites, since you have a very young look.  But I could just be paranoid.

Apr 24 14 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:
I like practicing my own editing skills, so I would just like the RAWs to work on myself.

This is for me personally, not to be published anywhere.

First, as other poster noted, $150 for model and photographer doesn't really cut it.

Second, if I was acting as the booker, there is the issue of limiting the usage rights for the model and the photographer. There would need to be a clear signed agreement about not using the images and keeping the copyright for the photographer if I were to even allow the transaction for the silly price. Allowing an hour prep for the wardrobe and make-up/hair and two hour shoot, if the photographer could be gotten for $75 and the gas & tolls leaves you with almost zip.

Wouldn't be worth the time to get a signed contract before the shoot even starts.

Apr 24 14 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

I dont think its a scam, just an offer from someone not certain how to word things.  For starters, based on what he wants, he should have contacted a photog. who has worked with you and commissioned the shoot via them.  This would have made the whole copyright issues moot, as he would have made sure that the photog. was working on a "FOR HIRE" basis meaning the guy paying owns all the copyrights anyways, and is free to do what he wants with his own images.

As others have said, the pay for the project seems a little low, but on the other hand this is MM, paid offers to shoot something other than nudes are not very common.

My advice would be to make it happen, but work out a seperate deal on the side to shoot with the photog afterwards for TFP for you, him, and the MUA to use.  (After all, everyone is going to be there in costume anyways, so why not make the most of it?)

Apr 24 14 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:
Does this sound weird to anyone else?

What he is asking for doesn't sound too unusual if it were done in person or over the phone. Yes it does seem a bit strange to me to be totally done in emails.

VeronicaB wrote:
I don't know if I should pursue this further, any help?

If it sounds like something you'd be willing to do, why not pursue? Only reason I can think is if something were funny about payment. So I would insist on payment in advance and letting him know you would not even begin to shoot until his check clears your bank. Note: clearing is different than depositing and usually takes about ten days.

As other have noted you should negotiate much higher fees, but you didn't comment on that the fee so maybe it doesn't bother you?

Apr 24 14 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Speaking as a photographer, I don't think too many people would bother doing this for $75 as it would be too much of an investment in time.  Some might be willing to do it for $75 if they could use the images as well but that's not what this client wants.  In any case, I would make sure to get payment in advance so as not to waste your time and a photographers time as well if you can find someone to shoot this.  The potential scam could be that the client asks to review the images before payment and then keeps the images and doesn't give you the money.  The other odd thing is that you have no fitness images in your port.  It would seem that if this client is willing to pay he would be looking for a model with experience in the genre he wants.

Apr 24 14 10:30 am Link

Model

VeronicaB

Because I had never heard of someone paying for a job like this one I had no idea what a good rate would be. I would need to buy the sports clothes he wanted as he requested sports bra and shorts specifically.

Apr 24 14 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Scam.

Apr 24 14 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Again, just my opinion, but he wants you in particular because of your look  (Commercial, preppy, and you can look like your 14).  He knows what outfit he wants.   

I stand by what I said above.

I would negotiate for more money though.  Explain to him that getting a photog. that will sign away his rights for $75 is not going to happen, as $75 would hardly cover gas costs.

I would break it down like this:

Photog. fee, $125
Model fee, $125 + $50 production fee.
H/MUA fee $50.

Totalling $350 for a set of images he owns outright.  The extra $50 to you is to cover your time investment in scouting locations, securing the photog and MUA as well as ensuring the proper legal forms are signed and faxed to him, as well as the cost of the USB or Memory card to ship him all the images.

Apr 24 14 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

VeronicaB wrote:
Because I had never heard of someone paying for a job like this one I had no idea what a good rate would be. I would need to buy the sports clothes he wanted as he requested sports bra and shorts specifically.

Sounds like you would lose money on this deal and you need to renegotiate the price.  If this is just a personal project of the client and the images will never be published it sounds like there's nothing in this for you.  If the images were going to be published in some sort of national catalog that you could point to to show your experience it would a little different.

Apr 24 14 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

And he pays in advance with a US postal money order.  And make it clear that the timeline is 90 days from recipt of funds.  Obviously you will work faster than that, but you will need some time to pull everything together.

And finally, because he will own all the rights, he is waiving any and all rights to inspect or reject the images created, he is buying them in advance as is where is.

Take his money, work your butt off, and have a great time!

Apr 24 14 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:

Well there are several good ideas now posted to help figure the proper amount, if you decided to move forward. But do shut it down if he asks for money from you for anything. That's how you'll know it has become a scam.

I'd also heed my previous warning about payment in advance and waiting for the check to clear.

Apr 24 14 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

My prediction is, that he'll send you a money order for $1,500 and then say "Oops!  I paid you too much.  Keep the $150, but wire me back the rest."

I might be wrong, so I'd recommend a lot more communication with the person and ask him for references.  They don't call them Phishing Scams for nuthin'.  Don't fall for the bait right away, but don't turn away a possible paying gig out of fear either.  Slow and easy gets you to where you're going just the same.

(EDIT)
I've read the emails you posted again and it just screams out SCAM to me.  Why would someone need to repeat the images are just for his own use?  Why does he insist neither she NOR the photographer who shoots the images can post them?  Why does he just want RAW files? 

It's just too weird.  Unless he plans on doing something...unseemly...when he gets the images, what's the point of his request?  On top of that, you don't have any fitness or swimwear shots in your portfolio.  Why wouldn't he seek out a model here who actually has those type of images in her book instead?

Apr 24 14 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Joe Wow Photos

Dayton, Ohio, US

Sounds like a scam..... something to think about... WHY doesn't he find a local photographer and local models to get his images??

Apr 24 14 11:16 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Sounds okay so far based on the dialogue you posted......but I would ask for at *least* double what he's offering, and ask for half the payment in advance.  I don't see how $150 would be even close to worth it if you & a photographer are splitting that amount (and I don't believe many photographers would agree to giving him exclusive usage rights for that amount either).

Apr 24 14 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Thinking about it further... I don't understand why this person wants you specifically and wants the exclusivity of the images.  If he's on MM, then he should know that people offer up images to retouch for practice or whatever all the time in the DAR forum.

I can't help but think because of the specifics of the request that these images might be later sold on barely legal sites, since you have a very young look.  But I could just be paranoid.

A good possibility of this.

Did he say how many pics of each look he wants?

If he knows about MM then he should hit up photographer for images to retouch.

Maybe it is completely on the up and up but be careful.

Apr 24 14 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The more that I think about it the fact that the client is asking the model to find a photographer seems a little odd.  If this client wants to be sure that he is going to get quality images I would think that this client would be selecting the photographer and not leaving this decision up to the model.

Apr 24 14 12:04 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Ask yourself why would a client ask the potential model to find and hire the photographer?  Who does that?  If I were that photographer I would want to speak to the client to understand their vision before we shot anything.   I would ask this same question to that client.  Sounds fishy.  Very fishy.   R-

Apr 24 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Random Image wrote:
...  He knows what outfit he wants.   

I would break it down like this:

Photog. fee, $125
Model fee, $125 + $50 production fee.
H/MUA fee $50.

Plus wardrobe costs.

Apr 24 14 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Arouchian

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

rick lesser wrote:
Ask yourself why would a client ask the potential model to find and hire the photographer?  Who does that?  If I were that photographer I would want to speak to the client to understand their vision before we shot anything.   I would ask this same question to that client.  Sounds fishy.  Very fishy.   R-

^ This

Also IMO, you're only offered 150$ that you have to split 3 ways...this is either a scam or the person is very cheap

Apr 24 14 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It's always a scam.

They get better and better at sounding legitimate (they read the guidelines, too).

Think it through.

Apr 24 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

ms-photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Sounds like a perv that wants pictures for his "private" portfolio.

Apr 24 14 07:24 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Loki Studio wrote:

The shoot might be viable for $300-500 with a 50% deposit.  Talk to a friendly photographer to get their rate, a MUA to get their rate, and make a counter offer.  A deposit by PayPal will quickly separate real clients from scams.

Yep.

ms-photo wrote:
Sounds like a perv that wants pictures for his "private" portfolio.

And also this, which isn't necessarily a scam.

$150 would be an odd price to offer for a scam.

Apr 24 14 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

g2-new photographics wrote:
It's always a scam.

They get better and better at sounding legitimate (they read the guidelines, too).

Think it through.

Because when they read what is being posted and the advises given here everyday. It doesn't take that much to figure out. I mean it's so easy, even a caveman can do it (to be a scammer).

Apr 24 14 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Can't quite put my finger on why, but it sure smells like a scam to me.

Apr 24 14 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Sounded OK on the surface... at first.

Asking the model to find a photographer?  No way.  The client must find a photographer who will execute what he wants, then the photographer can find the model.  It doesn't work the way he proposed.

The amount is too low for a real job.

It's a scam, he just hasn't revealed yet what he is really after.

Apr 24 14 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

picturephotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

VeronicaB wrote:
So I was reached out to by someone through my website and their offer seems legit but I'm wondering if I should ask for more information and be concerned or if this is just something I have never heard of.

first email:
Hi Veronica,
I'm emailing based on your MM profile.
Do you shoot fitness (sports bra + shorts) or swimwear style work?

second:
Hi Veronica,
To clarify, I am interested in commissioning a fitness and swimwear set from you. I found your MM profile and really liked your look so I would like to design my own concept and have you shoot it with a photographer. Hopefully you know someone local that you feel comfortable with.

Do you think for $150 you would be able to find a photographer to shoot 2 outfits in different backgrounds? I would like the photos to be exclusive to me, so not part of either your portfolio or the photographers. I like practicing my own editing skills, so I would just like the RAWs to work on myself.

third:
On the fitness side, I'd like minimal makeup and just a sports bra, workout shorts, and sneakers. Something along these lines: (links to normal fitness shots). I strongly prefer normal athletic positions (like stretching or lacing up sneakers) to artsy portrait or print poses. On the swimsuit side, I like to see a brightly colored bikini contrasted with grungy makeup or hair. Something like this: (links to examples of smoky eye). I really enjoy work that contrasts two distinct styles, like a very preppy swimsuit with vapid grungy eyes. For both, I have no preference for location as long as it's not a solid-color studio background. This is for me personally, not to be published anywhere.

Does this sound weird to anyone else? I left out my emails only because I was asking the questions and these were his answers. I don't know if I should pursue this further, any help? Thank you!

VeronicaB wrote:

Models are asked to shoot for "private collections" all the time, so this isn't unheard of.  And yes, "private collections" often mean spank bank, where the big turn on is that it's a commissioned shoot instead of anonymous pics pulled from the internet.

It may not be a scam, but for $150 it a ridiculous request.

Apr 24 14 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Money.

Transaction.

Scam.

Dealing face to face would be better. Bring security along when you do.

Apr 24 14 09:31 pm Link

Model

VeronicaB

New email update:
(My email) Just to clear up a few things, I have a few questions.  How many shots are you looking for?  How do you want them delivered to you.
What is your time frame for delivery of the pics.
Please let me know so I can talk to my photographer and get back to you.  Would you be willing to sign a release stating the photos are not for commercial use?

(His reply)
At least a dozen, sent over email. This isn't for a portfolio, so they don't all need to be the "best" shot. I'm not very picky on the total number, but I would expect more than a couple.
I am flexible on timeline. Sooner is better because this is an experiment to see if I enjoy it, but there is not a strict deadline. I would probably lose some interest if it doesn't happen in a couple weeks.
I am happy to confirm plain-English details with you via email (which is just as legally binding) but I am unlikely to involve an attorney to review a document over this.

This is sounding less and less desirable on my end...It sounds a lot like what I see on Craigslist ads for private "collections"

Apr 25 14 10:36 am Link

Photographer

PM_Photography

Westwood, Massachusetts, US

Yeah - it sounds like he is a picture collector and wants some pics of you in specific outfits that he 'enjoys'.

That's why he only approached you and not a photographer. You are his focus, he even mentioned he doesn't care about the quality of the images that much.

Apr 25 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

Renegotiate the price. If he's wanting you to get with a photographer, mua and has specific clothing requirements than you need to figure this into the cost as well as the potential loss of not being able to use the images. Photographers will tack on an additional fee for exclusivity because they are the copyright holders, not the client - if they are losing out on any potential future revenue from those images (as simple as displaying them in their portfolio) they'll take that into account so you need to it into account when negotiating.

Apr 25 14 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:
New email update:
(My email) Just to clear up a few things, I have a few questions.  How many shots are you looking for?  How do you want them delivered to you.
Please let me know so I can talk to my photographer and get back to you.  Would you be willing to sign a release stating the photos are not for commercial use?

(His reply)
At least a dozen, sent over email. This isn't for a portfolio, so they don't all need to be the "best" shot. I'm not very picky on the total number, but I would expect more than a couple.
I am flexible on timeline. Sooner is better because this is an experiment to see if I enjoy it, but there is not a strict deadline. I would probably lose some interest if it doesn't happen in a couple weeks.
I am happy to confirm plain-English details with you via email (which is just as legally binding) but I am unlikely to involve an attorney to review a document over this.

This is sounding less and less desirable on my end...It sounds a lot like what I see on Craigslist ads for private "collections"

Just tell him you'll do it and find out what he wants next.  f he says he wants to mail you a check, then tell him you will only accept a Western Union money transfer.  If it's a scam, he'll stop right there and tell you you're not what he's looking for.  If he's legit, then he'll send you the money.

Regardless, it stinks of a scam.  But, you won't know for sure unless you go a little further with it .  You can walk away now and not have to worry about it any further, or you can see just how far down the rabbit hole goes.  My advice, is just don't give him your home address, email addrress, or PayPal info at any point until you're sure this is a legitimate offer.  That'll likely never happen though, so it'll probably never get to that point.

I think it'd be good for everyone to know what this guy's angle is though, so we can be more aware of the tactics these guys are using and possibly warn the next model who gets an offer like this.

It's up to you though.  No harm in blocking him now.

Apr 25 14 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Eros has the right idea. If you take it to the next step and it still seems legit:

If this were me. I'd collect payment and then:

WARDROBE
Thrift store or borrow sports bra and shorts from a friend.

CAMERA
Cell phone or point and shoot

"PHOTOGRAPHER"
Best friend

SHOTS
"more than a couple" 10 - 12

FACT
He might masturbate with these pix as inspiration. If it bothers you then you can A) ask/forbid or B) just decline the shoot without asking.

Apr 25 14 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

The fact that op stated the 'potential scammer' saw her profile here on MM, and then the 'potential scammer' can read all these posts, advises, and suggestions written here on MM. I'm sure the 'potential scammer' is having a field day laughing.

Best entertainment, period.

Apr 25 14 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
The fact that op stated the 'potential scammer' saw her profile here on MM, and then the 'potential scammer' can read all these posts, advises, and suggestions written here on MM. I'm sure the 'potential scammer' is having a field day laughing.

Best entertainment, period.

Scammers don't tend to waste a lot of time reading.  They're more concerned about sending blanket emails to potential victims and hoping for a nibble.  They also don't care if they lose a bite, because at least one person out there will take the bait and send them a large chunk of money. 

So, the more information we can get out there about these guys, the harder it will be for them to find victims.

For example, one of the more recent scams going on out there is someone calling a person or a business up and claiming to be from the IRS  They tell the victim they owe some back taxes and need to pay it RIGHT NOW, or else the police will be coming to arrest them.  They then direct the person to go to a store and buy these MoneyPak cards for the amount owed, and then have the victim read off the card numbers to them.  Once they have that, it's as good as cash in their wallet.  They're taking people for thousands of dollars by preying on their fear of being in trouble with the law.

Another one they're using, is claiming to be from the Electric Company and threatening to turn off the power if the victim doesn't pay them right away.  They normally target businesses that rely on electricity throughout the day, so the bills can be well over $500.  Imagine if you owned a studio and got that call?  Like I said, better we share the info and help each other out. 

Even if the scammer does actually read this, then who cares?  I'd rather he see we're on to him and give him reason to go somewhere else to look for victims.

Apr 25 14 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:

So for $150, you have to buy the clothes, do your make up, then find a photographer who would be willing to shoot it for little money AND give up all rights to the images?  This person somehow got your email from Modelmayhem?  Do they have a profile, or contacted you though this website?  It's good to ask questions, as it just seems odd. 

As a photographer, I would be willing to pay you $150 for two houirs of your modeling time, and doing so I'd retain the copyrights, but I would give you some images to use here on Modelmayhem.   I've done it before.

Apr 25 14 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

VeronicaB wrote:
New email update:

(His reply)

An "experiment?"  to see if he will "enjoy it?"    ... OMG!  I get the creeps reading that ... and I'm not even a potential model!  yikes  Yes, smells like a Craigslist creeper.

Apr 25 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Scammers don't tend to waste a lot of time reading.  They're more concerned about sending blanket emails to potential victims and hoping for a nibble.  They also don't care if they lose a bite, because at least one person out there will take the bait and send them a large chunk of money. 

So, the more information we can get out there about these guys, the harder it will be for them to find victims.

For example, one of the more recent scams going on out there is someone calling a person or a business up and claiming to be from the IRS  They tell the victim they owe some back taxes and need to pay it RIGHT NOW, or else the police will be coming to arrest them.  They then direct the person to go to a store and buy these MoneyPak cards for the amount owed, and then have the victim read off the card numbers to them.  Once they have that, it's as good as cash in their wallet.  They're taking people for thousands of dollars by preying on their fear of being in trouble with the law.

Another one they're using, is claiming to be from the Electric Company and threatening to turn off the power if the victim doesn't pay them right away.  They normally target businesses that rely on electricity throughout the day, so the bills can be well over $500.  Imagine if you owned a studio and got that call?  Like I said, better we share the info and help each other out. 

Even if the scammer does actually read this, then who cares?  I'd rather he see we're on to him and give him reason to go somewhere else to look for victims.

How do you know?

No, posts, advises, and suggestions like this will only encourage scammers to lurk for fish. They are thinking..., these people are actually even giving this a slight and falling for it.

Geez?

Apr 25 14 12:15 pm Link