Forums > General Industry > Scam or not?

Model

JMarko2104

Halaula, Hawaii, US

Hello all,

I know that there are ways to tell if something is a scam and I'm still learning the ropes so some help on this one would be great. I got this message from another site that I'm on and wondering your thoughts.

LUCKY MAGAZINE PHOTOSHOOT
Good day, This is Dockery Lincoln working for the LUCKY MAGAZINE and I hold the position of 'Chief Photographer'..We are currently scouting for models for our new edition of the magazine which is gonna be out soon. We created a page(catalogue) for models and would love you to appear in it and the cover shot. The photo shoot would consist of a full length shot(with a Tropical setting) and a bust shot. You are gonna get paid for each photo that appears in our magazine. Get back to me through my mail (he gave email here).
Have a nice day and please get back to me asap.
Regards Dockery Lincoln

-Jenni

Jun 02 14 10:45 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

YES! Report him if your got the e mail on MM.. What was the domain name on his e mail?

Jun 02 14 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I believe that the real Lucky magazine is headquartered in New York and your location is St Paul, MN.  Given the amount of modeling talent in New York it doesn't seem very likely that they would go to the expense of using someone from Minnesota.  In addition, they would most likely go through an agency and not randomly select someone from MM or another modeling site.

Jun 02 14 11:06 am Link

Model

JMarko2104

Halaula, Hawaii, US

Thanks!

Jun 02 14 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:
I believe that the real Lucky magazine is headquartered in New York and your location is St Paul, MN.  Given the amount of modeling talent in New York it doesn't seem very likely that they would go to the expense of using someone from Minnesota.  In addition, they would most likely go through an agency and not randomly select someone from MM or another modeling site.

+10

Jun 02 14 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

JMarko2104 wrote:
You are gonna get paid for each photo that appears in our magazine.

This seems unusual - so if they don't use your photos, you ain't "gonna" get paid.  Usually models get paid an hourly rate.

JMarko2104 wrote:
Get back to me through my mail (he gave email here).

You said that this message came to you on another site.  If the site is administered similar to MM, scammers know that they will get caught and quickly kicked off of the site.

What ever you do, never deposit a check and send money to a third party.

Jun 02 14 12:26 pm Link