Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:
No matter how many times I hear this I am still amazed that this nonsense continues.

To answer the question, No. As a model I consider my pay to be the end of the contract, and when I receive it I thank the photog and go my way. If I get any images I regard that as a bonus.

If it’s TF then by taking the gig that means I have already agreed to the negotiated exchange of time for whatever sort of files I am to receive.

As a photographer, it’s the same deal. If I’m paying that’s the end of the contract, additional files are a bonus, and they're images of my choosing. If it's TF then the model gets what we've already agreed on, and I have never delivered ALL images, only selected and processed images that represent everyone's best work. Under no circumstances do I deliver RAW files.

What utter nonsense! This is not a case where what is legal and what is right are opposed to each other. What is right is fulfilling the obligations of what’s been negotiated.

Just because someone has agreed to a certain deal does not necessarily make it one-sided. If both parties agreed then both parties have found it acceptable.

And calling the photographer who protects his interests “selfish” and “misogynistic” is absurd, and this does not make the model a “victim”.

I had a shoot where I was paying the model, and I told her how much I liked her work and she quoted me a rate that I found agreeable, and we began to arrange the shoot. Then she says “Oh, and I’ll need a copy of all of the files.” I reminded her that this was a paid shoot, and that I didn’t consider her request to be appropriate. To which she replied, “Um, yeah, but I’m gonna need them anyway. Other photographers always give me the files.”

I wished her luck in her modeling career and hired a different model. No misogyny used at all.

I would do the same.  Fortunately I've never had this happen to me.

Dec 26 14 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I would do the same.  Fortunately I've never had this happen to me.

I had a model retroactively demand all the pictures from me.  She supposedly had 10+ years of experience and claimed it was "common practice" for photogs to turn over all the shots.  Only model to give me a bad rating to this day, which I actually see as a badge of honor because I wasn't about to accept that nonsense.

Dec 26 14 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Sure. I'll give her all 400 NEF files from my D810.

First, she'll need a larger thumb drive. That 16gig won't fit them all.  And good luck reading them. I know when I got it, I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the update to actually read the files on my Photoshop/Bridge.

Actually, no. I wouldn't do that.

Dec 27 14 08:10 am Link

Photographer

G L A M O U R _ N E

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Rik Williams wrote:
Have you, as a model, ever demanded RAW files at the end of a TF shoot.

Or have you, as a photographer,  had a model demand RAW files at the completion of a TF shoot.

I had a lingerie/nude TF shoot here in Melbourne last Thursday, all went reasonably well.

We discussed the kind of shots we would do together and I told her how many retouched images she would receive from each look, but there was never any mention of RAW files.

As I was leaving, she handed me a memory stick saying, "I want all the RAW files sent out to me too"

Not wanting to cause a scene I said, "I cant send out the original files, but I'll happily send out all the high resolution files on a disk for you, but it will take about a week".

This morning I'm getting text messages and phone calls asking when the RAW files will arrive!

WTF

LOL  she might have ment to say raw , meaning unedited.  (preview)

Dec 27 14 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

It amazes me how photographers blame models when the pre-shoot communications were poorly managed.  Let me remind you what the OP said...

Rik Williams wrote:
... there was never any mention of RAW files.

So, why does the model deserve derision & punishment for asking for RAW files?  I'm not saying that the OP has to give the model RAW files because it wasn't mentioned -- I'm just saying that models deserve to be treated with respect and that she is not solely to blame for asking for something that wasn't mentioned previously.

C'mon, guys.  If this happens to you, at least try to figure out how to avoid similar misunderstandings in the future.  Hint:  starting a "WTF" thread on an MM model forum isn't going to help you avoid the problem in the future.

Dec 27 14 08:29 am Link

Photographer

S Hoggard Photography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Whenever I take pictures of someone, I usually explain to them that I'd need some time to edit their pictures. I have had people ask if I could send originals but I tell them no because it could be a risk of copyright infringement or they could make my photography look bad if they were to post or show the originals instead of the edited pictures. Most of the time, the models, who are usually teens, understand. As for a couple of adults, they seemingly don't, but after a few days, or weeks, they gave up especially when I told one that not one single customer or model of mine has ever had any of their original copies and that if they kept asking me for them, I'd have to reconsider sending them their edited pictures, too.

I don't really tell many people that I shoot in RAW, just that I'd need time to edit the pictures. If they ask, I'd let them know. If they don't, I leave it alone. One of my main issues that no one knows, yet, is that I usually make the pictures smaller before editing them because I don't trust the original sizes to print out properly. =3 I know I shouldn't make them smaller (My Nikon camera can take pictures that are around 4,000 pixels in width or height, but I make that smaller to 3,600 pixels exact) with the other dimension automatically 2,400 after changing the size) but that old habit's hard to break!

Dec 28 14 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

S Hoggard Photography wrote:
I have had people ask if I could send originals but I tell them no because it could be a risk of copyright infringement or they could make my photography look bad if they were to post or show the originals instead of the edited pictures. ...

Papa always said, "An ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure".  I like to list my expectations (in an e-mail, which we can refer to later), and in it I clearly say that models will only get images edited by me, of a specific size, which they can use only for specific (and articulated) purposes.  I list the number of images, and I set expectations that I am slow when it comes to editing.

Never had a misunderstanding when I document expectations before we agree to work together.

Dec 28 14 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Ingerson

Ginowan, Okinawa, Japan

Did you have a model release signed prior to shooting?

Dec 30 14 05:17 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

The only time I ever had a model ask me raw images she wanted specifically three shots. Since I had worked with her multiple times I reluctantly agreed that she could have them as long as I could okay the finished product.

She emailed back two hours later not understanding why the files wouldn't open for her...  Turns out she didn't want the RAW files she wanted the Hi Res .JPG files. Simply a misunderstanding of what he term RAW actually meant.

Dec 30 14 11:59 am Link

Retoucher

SD Retouch

Chapeltown, England, United Kingdom

I am soo lucky.I'm my country 95% of models don't know even what's a RAW image.They just ask for tag photos to them via facebook.

Jan 01 15 02:16 am Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Sorry you went through that. I often see that some models confuse TF with "i get everything and i get to do anything i want with ALL the pictures... because it was free"

Jan 02 15 01:22 am Link