Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > golden gate bridge "jumper net" approved.

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Maybe they need to post new signs on the bridge...

"WARNING: If you jump off this bridge, you will splatter painfully into the water below, it will take up to three minutes for you to die, during which time you will fully experience the agony of multiple broken bones and massive internal injuries, as the cold water slowly fills your lungs and you drown."

I like this.

Jul 01 14 09:30 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Perhaps a TV special and videos on YouTube where the coroner describes in explicit detail what jumpers experience.  Talk about the odds of immediate death VS a suffering slow death.  Talk about the 20+ people who have jumped and lived, for a short while, suffering serious internal injuries.  Bust the myth that jumping from the bridge is an easy and painless way to go, it's not jumping into the arms of angels...it's hitting the surface of the water at 75mph...blunt force trauma.

Jul 01 14 11:47 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

ernst tischler wrote:
Perhaps a TV special and videos on YouTube where the coroner describes in explicit detail what jumpers experience.  Talk about the odds of immediate death VS a suffering slow death.  Talk about the 20+ people who have jumped and lived, for a short while, suffering serious internal injuries.  Bust the myth that jumping from the bridge is an easy and painless way to go, it's not jumping into the arms of angels...it's hitting the surface of the water at 75mph...blunt force trauma.

That is poetic
smile

As for the rest, exactly!
http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/0 … -concrete/

Jul 01 14 01:22 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lethal Beauty: Trauma of Impact -- When a person jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge, his body plummets 240 to 250 feet in four seconds, traveling about 75 mph, and hits the water with immense force. Here are the most common injuries jumpers can suffer, depending on the angle of entry into the water. Medical illustration by Genevieve M. Wilson for the Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/LETH … to-2705113

https://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/12/24/33/2705115/6/628x471.jpg

The impact is tremendous. The body goes from roughly 75 to 80 mph to nearly zero in a nanosecond. The physics of inertia being what they are, internal organs tend to keep going. The force of impact causes them to tear loose. Autopsy reports typically indicate that the jumpers have lacerated aortas, livers, spleens and hearts. Ribs are often broken, and the impact shoves them into the heart or lungs. Jumpers have broken sternums, clavicles, pelvises and necks. Skull fractures are common.

Which means you die one of two ways, or a combination of both. One, you hit the water and the impact kills you. Sometimes the jumper is knocked unconscious. Other times, the jumper survives for a time. The person can be seen flailing about in the water, trying to stay afloat, only to succumb to the extensive internal bleeding. Death can take seconds or minutes. Two, you drown. You hit the water going fast, and your body plunges in deep. Conscious or otherwise, you breathe in saltwater and asphyxiate.

You can usually tell which bridge jumpers drowned: Frothy mucus bubbles from the nose.

For finding and retrieving bodies, time is of the essence. The sea reclaims bodies quickly. Fish eat them. Not just sharks, but little fish. They eat the eyes and other tender parts. As the body decays and opens up, all manner of sea creatures move in to feed. Eventually, the body comes apart.

A body floats because decay causes gases to form within its cavity. If that cavity is breached for any reason, the gas escapes and the body sinks.

Jul 01 14 01:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Jules NYC wrote:
That is poetic
smile

As for the rest, exactly!
http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/0 … -concrete/

I read an article some time back about the suicides from the GGB.  Part of it included quotes from the Marin County Coroner.  He talked about how some appear to have died on impact, there are some who show evidence of drowning or death from internal bleeding.  It mentioned reports of witnesses reporting jumpers would surface and flail about in the water for several minutes.  There have been two dozen or so people who have been retrieved from the water alive, only to suffer and die later from their injuries. 

When someone jumps from the GGB to commit suicide, they might have a quick death...or not.

Jul 01 14 01:41 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

ernst tischler wrote:
I read an article some time back about the suicides from the GGB.  Part of it included quotes from the Marin County Coroner.  He talked about how some appear to have died on impact, there are some who show evidence of drowning or death from internal bleeding.  It mentioned reports of witnesses reporting jumpers would surface and flail about in the water for several minutes.  There have been two dozen or so people who have been retrieved from the water alive, only to suffer and die later from their injuries. 

When someone jumps from the GGB to commit suicide, they might have a quick death...or not.

Isn't it ironic that people that want to end pain, inflict a great amount of it (however short of a time) upon themselves then everyone else when they do the deed.

Jul 01 14 01:47 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Usually what kills you is your ribs. According to Snyder’s research, 85 percent of the jumpers had broken ribs. (By comparison, only 15 percent emerged with fractured vertebrae, and only a third with arm or leg fractures.) These jagged pieces of rib “macerate,” to use Erickson’s verb, the heart, lungs and/or major arteries. Of the bodies in Snyder’s paper, 76 percent had punctured lungs, and 57 percent had heart or “great vessel” ruptures.

Dying in this manner is akin to death by gunshot or a stab wound to the heart: It’s not always instantaneous, but it’s very fast. When a major artery is severed, the brain quickly shuts down for lack of oxygen-bearing blood. “When a vessel the size of the carotid artery has been cut wide open,” writes Sherwin Nuland, author of “How We Die,” “the entire sequence can take less than a minute.” One thing is known: It happens fast enough that few people drown. Only 45 of the 169 suicides in Snyder’s paper lived long enough to inhale much water.

http://www.salon.com/2001/02/09/jumpers/

Jul 01 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

I never got the joke with these.  Why are these booths funny, and yes I watch Futurama but don't get the joke sorry.

its an allusion to an old star trek episode

Jul 01 14 08:00 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jul 01 14 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Jules NYC wrote:
PS, the net is 20 feet down

http://abc7news.com/news/top-7-question … et/135337/

But it would still hurt and possibly cause injury....... I still think clowns with nothing better to do will climb down into the net...

I also think some twits will jump then try to sue.

Jul 02 14 01:56 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

But it would still hurt and possibly cause injury....... I still think clowns with nothing better to do will climb down into the net...

I also think some twits will jump then try to sue.

It is costing the fed under 50 million.

Seems objectionable to say, "Hey... stop being depressed!  That's not fair, you are costing us money!"

Then again people have kids all the time, don't give a shit about them, then they grow up not giving a shit about themselves...

Etc., etc.

Some people have serious mental illness... etc.

Jul 02 14 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
I never got the joke with these.  Why are these booths funny, and yes I watch Futurama but don't get the joke sorry.

I don't find "Futurama" funny at all. The memes are funny though. smile
https://www.bubbleblabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Fry-Futurama-Video-Game-Meme.jpg
/threadjack. Sorry.
Carry on.

Jul 02 14 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Jul 02 14 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

So now people will have to jump twice.  Once off the bridge and a second time off the net.   

If someone really wants to commit suicide, they will find a way.  Spending millions on a net won't change that.

Jul 02 14 08:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
So now people will have to jump twice.  Once off the bridge and a second time off the net.   

If someone really wants to commit suicide, they will find a way.  Spending millions on a net won't change that.

THIS EXACTLY!

Does anyone in the planning of this net have any common sense?

It seems to me more of spending a lot of money on a feel good solution so they can say they did something to help prevent people from jumping off the bridge...except the number of deaths by jumping will remain the same.

What might change is the attention getters (those who make a weak attempt at suicide to get attention, but were not really trying to kill themselves) will now have a new place to get attention.  They can jump down to the net and be rescued.  Those who support the net will claim those as a "life saved by the net"!

Jul 02 14 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:
THIS EXACTLY!

It seems to me more of spending a lot of money on a feel good solution so they can say they did something ...

It's the government...in San Francisco...in California...just saying...

Jul 02 14 09:14 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

ernst tischler wrote:
THIS EXACTLY!

It seems to me more of spending a lot of money on a feel good solution so they can say they did something ...

Jay  Edwards wrote:
It's the government...in San Francisco...in California...just saying...

YEP!

Jul 02 14 09:22 am Link