Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Learn some basic skills

Photographer

BenjaminGay

Redmond, Washington, US

Hi
I'm a photographer needing some advice on upping my game. I pretty much always use a Mua but would love to learn the basics. I have a background in illustration and am familiar with airbrushing (paint not makeup).

I need to learn some makeup 101. I'm thinking safety, basics etc. I'm based in Seattle any recommendations on putting together a kit and getting started?

Thanks!!!!

Benjamin

Jul 31 14 02:55 pm Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

Clean your brushes! If you use brushes on one person, make sure you CLEAN the brush before using it on another person.

The best way to get better at make up is practice. You can read and watch different techniques all you want, but you really learn it by practicing on yourself. You can practice on friends too for fun, if they let you. You get to learn all the contours of the face and how certain colors look on different people/skin tones/etc...

There's a TON of different make up tutorials on youtube. The "easiest" to learn is the "natural" look where minimal makeup is used to just create a "fresh" look (foundation, light blush, lap balm, mascara, maybe eye shadow/liner).

Jul 31 14 06:52 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Cree Synster wrote:
Clean your brushes! If you use brushes on one person, make sure you CLEAN the brush before using it on another person.

The best way to get better at make up is practice. You can read and watch different techniques all you want, but you really learn it by practicing on yourself. You can practice on friends too for fun, if they let you. You get to learn all the contours of the face and how certain colors look on different people/skin tones/etc...

There's a TON of different make up tutorials on youtube. The "easiest" to learn is the "natural" look where minimal makeup is used to just create a "fresh" look (foundation, light blush, lap balm, mascara, maybe eye shadow/liner).

A natural look is NOT easy.

Jul 31 14 07:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
A natural look is NOT easy.

I concur, it takes a lot of practice and a skilled hand to create a make-up look that looks like the model has next to nothing on their skin.

Beyond that though the best way to learn really is going to depend on you and what exactly you consider the basics. While you're definitely going to have to get hands on at some point the way in which you initially approach the technique should be in a way that makes sense to you. Personally I'd suggest reading through a few books, watching a few videos and ultimately getting a private lesson from an MUA but with all of that said there are some things to keep in mind, the main ones being that not everyone works the same, that if something seems unsafe it likely is, and that you need to be mindful of the individual model and what allergies or aversions they may have.

Good Luck!

Jul 31 14 09:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Couldn't agree more. There is a very fine line between 'natural' and 'minimal'.

YouTube can be a good resource, but do keep in mind that the vast majority of these women are NOT makeup artists. Keep into consideration that not all looks will work on the same person. People have different eye shapes, skin textures, skin types, etc. I feel like the best way to learn makeup quickly is to just invest in taking a beauty workshop. If there aren't crash courses/workshops by you then try reaching out to a local artist who's work you admire.

Chances are they'll be more than happy to teach you the basics for a fee that is much more affordable than a cosmetology school.

Aug 07 14 08:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

Crees Cove

Milledgeville, Georgia, US

Cosmetology school (so I've been told by many make up artists) is pretty much only good if you intend to work in the movie industries, or plan to be hired by a top company like Sephora or Maybelline.

Aug 08 14 03:04 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

My advice is trade. I am sure a good MUA in your area who works with airbrush wants to get better skills in taking pictures. Come on who does not want to take a better picture. Not that either the MUA or you, the Photographer as an artist is looking to replace the other but upping skills in areas we touch on is always a good thing.

Aug 13 14 10:06 pm Link