Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > If you was a Photographer.

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hi folks,

I wanted to ask the question; "If you were a Photographer, how would you go about selecting a MUA and Hairstylist for a shoot?

What are the things to look for on judging there skill level?

Thank you.
-Adrian

Aug 20 14 11:30 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Can they do what I want?

If I want clean beauty and all they have in their portfolio is high fashion or character work... that is a no go.

Likewise, if I want FX for a particular shot, I wouldn't hire a MUA who's portfolio is nothing but natural looking brides.

Aug 20 14 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yeah I hear you on that but I'm looking more in the line of Blending and color pallet I guess. Maybe some other things I'm not aware of.

Some times people have better skills then what there current port shows. I want to be able to see it.

You dig.

Aug 21 14 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

as having  a pro-make-up training, and working as pro-mua:
When i judge mua's portfolio i judge at 3 levels:
-technical (how are the eye-shadowblends, lip-lines etc), how did you apply powder/skintones etc
-do you understand faces? is the make-up blended into the face, or is it a loose part of the face? did you correct the face, does the shapes enhance the face? are the lines correct? does it express the theme of the shoot?
-how creative are you? and how well does it blend in with a particular face

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com
make-up-artist, wardrobestylist, art-director, and only then photographer

Aug 21 14 01:58 am Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thank you Herman. Some good advice there. I'll use it as a guild line when selecting.
I use to draw when I was younger so I can see your points.

Aug 21 14 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Herman van Gestel wrote:
as having  a pro-make-up training, and working as pro-mua:
When i judge mua's portfolio i judge at 3 levels:
-technical (how are the eye-shadowblends, lip-lines etc), how did you apply powder/skintones etc
-do you understand faces? is the make-up blended into the face, or is it a loose part of the face? did you correct the face, does the shapes enhance the face? are the lines correct? does it express the theme of the shoot?
-how creative are you? and how well does it blend in with a particular face

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com
make-up-artist, wardrobestylist, art-director, and only then photographer

+1

The first thing I look for in an MUA is the ability to use makeup to shade and "shape" the model's face to make the model look her best.

In many models' portfolios you will find 1-2 photos in which the model's face looks far better than in the other photos. If the model is in your area, check to see who did the makeup.

The second thing is the ability to provide the type of makeup needed for the particular type of shoot. In some cases it may be natural makeup. In others, perhaps a retro look. And for others it might be colorful and creative - where the colors look good on the model and with the wardrobe being worn.

Aug 21 14 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

AHphotography wrote:
"If you were a Photographer, how would you go about selecting a MUA and Hairstylist for a shoot?

Adrian review of an MUA's book is irrelevant owing to the lion's share of imagery you find is overcooked to the point that merely showcases the artistry of the graphic artist who rendered the aforementioned...  I cringe when I see a lip line totally missing the labial roll (raised area at the outer edge of the lip/skin interface)  Another fav of pixel pilots is to overdraw the cupid's bow to a point of absurdity..

Sad that MUA don't have to have Polaroids like agency models...

Best advice? Referrals are golden... Might consider assisting other top shooters in your market to get your head around i.e. learn first hand from being on set.. btw, the ONLY images that I look for are tearsheets... Why? They typically demonstrate the talent is a tenured team player...

Words of Wisdom? Build your team... NYC is mecca for MUA's   It's huge... the talent is there... establish enduring relationships with every team member... trust this...

My path?  a decade ago I knew I was going into beauty genre, determined who the top MUA was in my market and followed her path... i.e. trained at the same institution, licensed etc... over a thousand faces later, I can share with authority it was the right move for my unique situation... Yours?  That only you can determine...

All the best on your journey...

Aug 21 14 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Make life easy...hire one that works with a pro like Herman lol.....takes all the guess work out...haha

When all else fails, you hire a great retoucher!

Aug 21 14 07:27 am Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thank you guys, Some really useful information. Would like to hear some feed back on Hairstylist as well. Best way to educate one's self is to ask a lot of question.

Aug 21 14 10:52 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

You can do a Test - it's a great way to see if the skills and team chemistry are there for all involved.

Aug 21 14 10:58 am Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've done shoots before and worked with some really good MUA. I'm just looking for ways to determine MUA and Hairstylist skill level that i'm not aware of, same way I would determine a Photographer skill level if I was asked.

Aug 21 14 11:10 am Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Camerosity wrote:

+1

The first thing I look for in an MUA is the ability to use makeup to shade and "shape" the model's face to make the model look her best.

In many models' portfolios you will find 1-2 photos in which the model's face looks far better than in the other photos. If the model is in your area, check to see who did the makeup.

The second thing is the ability to provide the type of makeup needed for the particular type of shoot. In some cases it may be natural makeup. In others, perhaps a retro look. And for others it might be colorful and creative - where the colors look good on the model and with the wardrobe being worn.

I agree, Thank you for sharing some very useful points. Taking it all in.

Aug 21 14 11:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

AHphotography wrote:
Hi folks,

I wanted to ask the question; "If you were a Photographer, how would you go about selecting a MUA and Hairstylist for a shoot?

Thank you.
-Adrian

Quality: Does the makeup look like the artist did a solid job? Models can easily be under-made or over-made up. Does it look like they have a grasp on color theory or are they slapping every color under the sun onto a face?

Photographer: Did s/he take them on their iphone? Or did they partner with an amateur photographer to get those images taken? Working with a bad photographer can truly make or break someone's makeup. I am a firm believer of the concept "you only have one time to make a first impression".

I am very particular about the photographers I choose to work with for portfolio development, just the heaviest of hands in photoshop can result in one's work looking wonky.

Natural makeup: The best way imo to judge a good MUA is to take a look at her natural work. Every MUA should have at least 1 or 2 natural photos in their portfolio. Natural means just that. It should look like the model is wearing little to no makeup. It is hands down the most difficult type of makeup to do because you want the model to be enhanced, but not make it obvious.

Diversity: Are all of the MUA's looks the same? Or is s/he pretty well-rounded? If they have 22 identical makeup looks on 22 different people in their port chances are you'll get look number 23 the day they show up to do makeup for you.

Aug 22 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

wynnesome

Long Beach, California, US

One of three ways:

First, the client hiring me is also hiring the stylists.  So, I don't select - I simply work with the other crew members that have been hired. Hopefully they suit the job the client wants!

Second, the client hiring me asks for referrals to stylists so she/he can hire MUA/H, etc.  So I give the client contact information for a number of stylists I've worked with who I feel would be appropriate for the project, and let the client see who is available, whose work they like, and negotiate rates with that person or people. Occasionally I might give out information for a person I've met through networking and whose portfolio I like, but haven't worked with yet - making sure my client knows that I can't vouch for that person's work to the same extent that I can for the stylists I've actually worked with, especially repeatedly.

Third, the client wants a quote for a shoot including styling.  So I contact stylists I've worked with who I feel would be right for the particular shoot, see who is available, and check with them as to their rates for the project at hand.  Then I quote the client a price that covers my rates AND the styling.

When I'm responsible for providing stylists, it's always going to be someone I've worked with before.  That list expands from the shoots where the client brings in a stylist and I like their work.  That stylist then might be one of the people who gets a call from me for the next shoot!

Aug 22 14 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thank you everyone for some sold advice. It's sure will help me select the people I'll be working with.

-Adrian

Aug 22 14 01:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

with everything being edited in post now, you have no idea what you're getting by just looking at a portfolio.

If you want to be safe, go through a respectable agency.  If that's out of your range ask successful commercial photographers,  They always know who the good artists are.

Aug 23 14 12:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

KILLER KISS

Upland, California, US

BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Can they do what I want?

If I want clean beauty and all they have in their portfolio is high fashion or character work... that is a no go.

Likewise, if I want FX for a particular shot, I wouldn't hire a MUA who's portfolio is nothing but natural looking brides.

Brides makeup???
No.............

Beauty makeup is good..........

Aug 23 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

if you see a port you like, contact, meet, and see if you can do a test shoot with the mua..if she works out and your rates meet, works....they are trying to make some money just as you are but am sure there are many that will do TF if your work and creds stand up also that might lead to paid collaboration...Mo

Aug 23 14 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

AHphotography wrote:
Yeah I hear you on that but I'm looking more in the line of Blending and color pallet I guess. Maybe some other things I'm not aware of.

Some times people have better skills then what there current port shows. I want to be able to see it.

You dig.

Well..., I am not a MUA... and I don't plan on becoming one, so, I don't need to know exactly how a certain look is achieved.

So, the most important thing for me to judge a MUA is his/her portfolio and if possible, published work. If the look I want for my shoot... or the style... in a consistent, but diverse portfolio, I can be certain that the person is skilled enough to produce different looks on demand.

The type of bristles on the brush is of no concern to me... if you know what I mean! smile

Aug 23 14 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well first I look for at their grammar, then their portfolio...

I really want to know if they can transform a face, not simply make a pretty girl more pretty.

Aug 23 14 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I shoot mostly weddings,  I look for diversity in their portfolio.  I hate seeing the same eye shadow on 10 girls in the folio.  I also like to see different lipsticks as well as good coverage foundations.  I also like calm personalities when I meet them.  In my business part of the job of mua is to keep the client in a calm happy mood till she walks down the aisle.

Nov 03 14 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Depends on where you are, and how badly you need one.

When I was in Dallas, I had several local MUA's to call on, some of whom did only make up, some who did make up and hair, and some who did make up, hair , and styling.  Obviously, when possible, I got the latter, because that gave me the most for the buck.

Sometimes the shoot schedule determined who got used, as they had to be available.

Where I am now, I expect to have to be all things........as I am no longer in a major market, with access to all the support people I once had access to.

You can't judge their skills until you work with them. A portfolio is nothing but an indicator, and until you have worked with them, and know what they are capable of, you can't be sure.

Like all of us, they have their own personalities, prejudices, and quirks. Sometimes you will find one really good to work with, and another, not so much. You simply have to take a leap of faith, the first time out.

Nov 03 14 12:48 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

From a hairstylist and makeup artist's point of view:  I have been hired through referrals from other photographers.  Through an art director, stylist, or model. A lot of time through here.  And other sites like this one.  Also the South Florida production guide. Or my professional web site. I always ask when hired, "How did you find me and/or why did you hire me?"  The answers are, range of work. I have been told I was hired because I have men in my book.  Very hard to do clean male makeup.  I was told because I have work that has been published.  And told they heard I was easy to work with.  See if your vision and the makeup artist/hairstylist vision are close to the same.  Interview them, really talk and listen to them.  Sometimes we bring different ideas to the table you weren't considering.  And when you find someone you like, stick with that person.  I have photographers that I have worked with for years.  They think it and I already know.  R-

Nov 06 14 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've always felt that the most important quality that a MUA could have is the ability to see beyond what a model looks like . . .  and has the skills to transform a face into something sale-able to magazine editors that are looking for contemporary erotic beauty

Knowing how makeup and flesh are rendered through a camera lens on digital and how the effect of various lighting on a model can be different depending on a wide variety of technical factors.

It's not as easy as it looks

KM

Nov 06 14 02:53 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
Depends on where you are, and how badly you need one.

When I was in Dallas, I had several local MUA's to call on, some of whom did only make up, some who did make up and hair, and some who did make up, hair , and styling.  Obviously, when possible, I got the latter, because that gave me the most for the buck.

Sometimes the shoot schedule determined who got used, as they had to be available.

Where I am now, I expect to have to be all things........as I am no longer in a major market, with access to all the support people I once had access to.

You can't judge their skills until you work with them. A portfolio is nothing but an indicator, and until you have worked with them, and know what they are capable of, you can't be sure.

Like all of us, they have their own personalities, prejudices, and quirks. Sometimes you will find one really good to work with, and another, not so much. You simply have to take a leap of faith, the first time out.

Pretty much this, and a bit of finger crossing too.

I have to find someone close in proximity first.  No since trying to get someone to drive 100 miles and back to a rural area if I can find a local to work with whose port looks good.

You really never know until you work with them, sometimes twice too as the first time through isn't telling.  Sometimes the personalities don't meld well at all and you can see a model/MUAH being apprehensive in working together.  I'd rather them be 'best buddies' and get along well and have some trust in each other, which means they might have worked together prior too and formed a friendship.  Recent one had them giggling in the dressing area and they got along very well in the application of 'dirty' makeup (e.g. Current avatar with coveralls.).  I'd rather they have fun than fight and erupt into a high-drama scenario.

I've had them go back and forth BTS prior to a shoot and it comes out a lot better, imho.  I can stay out of the entire collaboration, and I prefer too as well, between them once the initial concept is set.

Sometimes I pick up coloration mistakes in some on areas of uncovered skin (hands) that gets to be a problem in post.  Some blend and see color a lot better than others.  Some have a better kit to attend to details.

There's a lot of finger crossing at times, unless you've worked with them prior.  Can't always tell by their port either and as mentioned, it's only a indicator.  There's more stuff to it that you don't learn about until you've worked with them and know what their capabilities are.

Nov 07 14 06:14 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

AHphotography wrote:
Hi folks,

Thank you.
-Adrian

I just look at the MUA's work and see if there working style is what I am looking for. Then I find out if I can afford them!

Nov 07 14 07:50 am Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Would not want to see a book with a lot of heavily retouched work. Would wonder whether I'm looking at the work of the MUA or the retoucher. A good retoucher can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Nov 12 14 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I've always felt that the most important quality that a MUA could have is the ability to see beyond what a model looks like . . .  and has the skills to transform a face into something sale-able to magazine editors that are looking for contemporary erotic beauty

Knowing how makeup and flesh are rendered through a camera lens on digital and how the effect of various lighting on a model can be different depending on a wide variety of technical factors.

It's not as easy as it looks

KM

Totally agree... and IMATS provides that opportunity... wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120722/00/500badfb8972a.jpg

Nov 13 14 10:02 am Link