Forums > Model Colloquy > Is LifeTime photography paid photo shoot a scam?

Model

Yasmine Merciar

Los Angeles, California, US

I really need someones help on this because it looks interesting and it pays pretty well, so far they have not asked me for any bank account, SS, or personal info except for my address and phone number because there going to send over a check?
It's supposed to be a National Photo shoot (no experience required) a campaign to sell handbags, etc. No nudity apparently, under a contract, quite a hefty amount. I just don't want to scammed honestly sad Has anyone heard of it?

Sep 11 14 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Note!
Please edit any names out of your post and that is not allowed as outing.

Yes this sounds like a scam. Do not try to cash the check, it will bounce and you will be liable to your bank for the funds.

Sep 11 14 10:58 pm Link

Model

Yasmine Merciar

Los Angeles, California, US

Kev Lawson wrote:
Please edit any names out of your post and that is not allowed as outing.

Yes this sounds like a scam. Do not try to cash the check, it will bounce and you will be liable to your bank for the funds.

Ok I took his name out, so sorry! I had no idea!
How do you know when it's not a scam? Do the photographers pay you that day?

Sep 11 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Browse though here
http://newmodels.com/
You misunderstand how this all works

Sep 11 14 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yasmine O wrote:
Ok I took his name out, so sorry! I had no idea!
How do you know when it's not a scam? Do the photographers pay you that day?

You will never be paid in advance for a shoot... let alone having never applied for a modeling job. Someone just finding your profile and wanting to send you a check is the main clue.

Please see this information on scams and how to avoid them -
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/u … the-basics

ETA - I have also removed your other two duplicate threads. This thread can remain and respondents can reply here.

Sep 11 14 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

David Nelson Photograph

Dallas, Texas, US

Yasmine O wrote:
I really need someones help on this because it looks interesting and it pays pretty well, so far they have not asked me for any bank account, SS, or personal info except for my address and phone number because there going to send over a check?
It's supposed to be a National Photo shoot (no experience required) a campaign to sell handbags, etc. No nudity apparently, under a contract, quite a hefty amount. I just don't want to scammed honestly sad Has anyone heard of it?

Here's how it works.  They will send you a check in the mail and give you some story that because of regulations or rules that they cannot pay (the studio, the MUA or somebody else) directly and they tell you to cash the check, take out your payment (often include airfare) and send the rest on to (the studio, the MUA or somebody else).  You deposit the check in your bank, send the remainder where requested and a few days later the bank calls and tells you the check is no good.  You're out the money you passed on and perhaps the money you used to buy a plane ticked (if traveling was required).

There are many variations of this scam.  Just think logically about it and you can tell its a scam.
Sorry, good thing you checked many new models have fallen for this old scam.

Sep 12 14 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Sep 12 14 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yasmine O wrote:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM .
Do I need to be any clearer?  If I do, go ahead and do what they ask and let me know how that goes.

Sep 13 14 07:13 am Link

Model

aprilann71

Kokomo, Indiana, US

Hi I was just apparently chosen to do a lifetime photography inc shoot, is this a scam??? They said the would send me a check for the clothing to send to the designers and I would get paid 190 hr...Can anyone tell me if it's a scam I don't want to be scaled...

Feb 11 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

aprilann71 wrote:
Hi I was just apparently chosen to do a lifetime photography inc shoot, is this a scam??? They said the would send me a check for the clothing to send to the designers and I would get paid 190 hr...Can anyone tell me if it's a scam I don't want to be scaled...

Yes a scam, just as noted above.

Feb 11 15 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

aprilann71 wrote:
..Can anyone tell me if it's a scam I don't want to be scaled...

if you have scales, you need to see a doctor.

if the message came from a MM member, please kindly report it by clicking on the "flag this message/sender" link at the bottom left of the message.

Feb 11 15 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Yes of course it is

Feb 11 15 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

aprilann71 wrote:

You post this question here after all the replies above? Did you not read any of them??

Yes, it is a Nigerian Scam!
Nobody legit will ever send advance payment!  Large payment for no experience? No!
Do not reply in the first place!
Do not give them your email, phone, address! If you have already made those mistakes, (before asking here?) do not deposit or cash any checks or money orders, etc. and certainly never send your money on to a third party! The original check is fake! If you send more on, it is lost!

Feb 11 15 01:51 pm Link

Model

aprilann71

Kokomo, Indiana, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

if the message came from a MM member, please kindly report it by clicking on the "flag this message/sender" link at the bottom left of the message.

Feb 12 15 02:46 pm Link

Model

aprilann71

Kokomo, Indiana, US

Flex Photography wrote:

You post this question here after all the replies above? Did you not read any of them??

Yes, it is a Nigerian Scam!
Nobody legit will ever send advance payment!  Large payment for no experience? No!
Do not reply in the first place!
Do not give them your email, phone, address! If you have already made those mistakes, (before asking here?) do not deposit or cash any checks or money orders, etc. and certainly never send your money on to a third party! The original check is fake! If you send more on, it is lost!

My phone wasnted showing the other comments and ok Thankyou for the heads up

Feb 12 15 02:52 pm Link

Model

Iamdianag_

Orlando, Florida, US

Thank God I read this. The MM agaj143 sent me this same email stating to email T. bell
For an editorial shoot. I don't know how to report her it won't let me

Mar 01 15 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Iamdianag_ wrote:
Thank God I read this. The MM agaj143 sent me this same email stating to email T. bell
For an editorial shoot. I don't know how to report her it won't let me

If the offer came via a PM over Model Mayhem's system, click the "Flag This PM/Sender" link in the lower left corner of the message.  If you deleted the message, it will still exist in your Trash file located in the links just above your in box.

Mar 01 15 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

I the event she has scales, she probably needs to see a vet who treats reptiles.  A herpetologist.   I guess she could have a scaly rash, though, that a dermatologist could treat.

Mar 01 15 02:27 pm Link

Model

chaneloves

Anaheim, California, US

OMFG I just cashed and sent money into a moneygram. What do I do?!

Mar 17 15 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Nobody EVER pays in advance. Nobody is EVER going to pay you extra money and trust you to pay someone else. At least not in the real world.

Mar 17 15 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

chaneloves wrote:

Cashed? or deposited?  In either case you are in a heap of trouble.  This is  a very old scam predating the internet.  It goes all the way back to 1928. 

Why would a stranger trust you to forward his/her money?  How could this be good business practice?

ETA:  Please note that you received two answers within 16 minutes after your post.  Next time, ask questions sooner.

Mar 17 15 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

chaneloves wrote:

Say goodbye to your money.
In future, ask advice here, before you commit to questionable offers.

Mar 17 15 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

chaneloves wrote:

I hope MM management will seriously consider my suggestion for the last couple years; having all newbies read and must pass the quiz on 'How to avoid scam' before their profiles approved. You think I am about making fun of the newbies. Well, if MM would have done that then she would not have wasted her money on such same old scam.

Mar 17 15 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

chaneloves wrote:

Good luck, you just passed a bad check.  LISTEN EVERYONE THIS IS A SCAM!!!!

You have unknowingly commited serious act and the bank could hold you liable.

Why would any campaign not use agency models! why would anyone pay you too much and ask you to cadh and send money to a third party. 

Please, there is very little work for models that don't have standard measurements required by agencies.  You might get a gig here and there or become an actress or promotional model, parts model, nude model glamour or art.

The foreign scam artists are playing on young models hopes and dreams and not reality.

Mar 18 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Flex Photography wrote:

Say goodbye to your money.
In future, ask advice here, before you commit to questionable offers.

It is not her money, it is the banks money and they were just ripped off.  Sad for everyone except the scammers

Mar 18 15 08:17 pm Link