Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Fall TV Season Talk

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Actually, Honey Boo Boo is already canceled -- the mom is dating a convicted child predator.

As I understand, and I could well be wrong because it's hearsay a couple times removed, the mom is dating a sexual predator who was convicted of assault on the mother's other daughter.

This is the kind of scenario that would leave Jerry Springer walking away and saying, "This is too low class and bizarre for me."

Oct 25 14 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Wicked Photos wrote:
anybody else watching Get Away With Murder? such an awesome show. thats kinda the only show i am watching now. pretty much with other things.

"How To Get Away With Murder" is very popular, but it's not on my watch list:
...  It's a serial drama, and I hate serial drama,
...  It's a lawyer show, and I hate lawyer shows,
...  Powerful people, and in particular powerful women, don't have to be so bossy,

and so forth.  I tried it a couple of time, didn't like it, and have stopped watching it. 

But not every show has to appeal to me -- like I said, it's very popular, so I expect it to last a long time.

Oct 26 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Actually, Honey Boo Boo is already canceled ...

I know -- that's why I put on da ''smiley face''!

Oct 26 14 08:49 am Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

I f*cking LOVE American Horror Story: Freak Show!

Oct 28 14 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

NBC Freshman Comedies Bad Judge and A to Z to End.

That's too bad -- I almost liked these shows, but both had a ways to go before they found their legs/voice/whatever.

Okay -- what's the next show to get the axe?

Nov 01 14 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

NBC Freshman Comedies Bad Judge and A to Z to End.

That's too bad -- I almost liked these shows, but both had a ways to go before they found their legs/voice/whatever.

Okay -- what's the next show to get the axe?

Darn it -- I was originally going to guess ''Bad Judge''!

Nov 01 14 09:12 am Link

Photographer

KGSF

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I haven't had cable TV in quite a while, so I have no clue what most of these shows even are, don't feel deprived and couldn't really care.

I do go and borrow a friends ComCast On Demand function once every couple of weeks to watch the last few episodes of NCIS that aired.

NCIS is the only TV show I bother with anymore. Gibbs, Abby, Tony, McGee, Ducky. One of the best dramatic/comedic ensembles in TV history. Addict for life.

Otherwise, my TV is really just a movies-on-DVD content delivery system nowadays. Damn lot of movies to watch, there is.

Nov 01 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

KGSF wrote:
I do go and borrow a friends ComCast On Demand function once every couple of weeks to watch the last few episodes of NCIS that aired.

Isn't that illegal?

Nov 01 14 10:56 am Link

Photographer

KGSF

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Isn't that illegal?

No. I mean, I go to their house, sit on their couch, and watch NCIS on their TV, then go home. Not sure what you think I meant.

Nov 01 14 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Isn't that illegal?

KGSF wrote:
No. I mean, I go to their house, sit on their couch, and watch NCIS on their TV, then go home. Not sure what you think I meant.

I thought you used their login info to access your TV shows from the comfort of your home.

Nov 01 14 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Fox Puts Utopia Out of Its Misery.
This show never made it onto my "let's check it out" list -- I hate so-called "reality" shows, and this one in particular seemed to have a lame premise.

TV Guide's List Of "Bubble" Shows.
I don't think I'd miss any of these shows.  I had hoped "Selfie" would make it, but it's struggling to make the main character lovable while keeping her self-absorbed.  Everyone seems to love Casey Wilson, but I didn't much like "Marry Me" -- again, her character is less than lovable.  I couldn't make it through the pilot of Mulhaney -- that was my pick for the first show to get canceled.  The things all these shows have in common:
...  Poor chemistry.
...  Unoriginal premises.
...  Tired plot points.

Indeed, there are only a few "keepers" in this season's crop of new shows, and even those are suffering a bit.

Nov 03 14 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Another new show, "Selfie", gets cancelled.
That's almost too bad -- I kinda liked the pilot, but then it lost focus quickly.

However, another "bubble show", Forever, gets picked up for a full season.

Seems to me...

...  A hecka lot of freshman shows are getting cancelled really quickly.
...  Some were struggling to find their "voice" / "niche" and were simply not
     given much time.
...  Some were pretty horrible, especially those that lacked chemistry.

The stakes are high and the patience is low.

Thoughts?  Who's next to get canceled?

Nov 08 14 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What I'm watching:

I'm enjoying Flash way more than I thought I would... it's the first CW superhero show that actually admits it's a superhero show. Arrow is too wooden, and attempts to do broody with crappy actors and writing. Flash, on the other hand, is a bit more fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously, it's basically taking the 'Marvel' approach vs the "Nolan/Snyder DC' approach, and it's refreshing. The main cast has actual emotional range, as well as being generally likable in their characterizations.

Still watching Agents of SHIELD, it's significantly better since Captain America 2's release last year (AoS had a plot point that was waiting on that movie's release). I enjoy that it's turning into a spy vs spy show more than dancing around superhero events awkwardly.

I haven't seen Gotham in a few weeks... it's a frustrating show. Parts of it I really like, for that noir mob vs mob feel. But they are trying to stuff too many Bat' references in too quickly. They need to trust the writing, and the actors more. Gordon is a bit wooden, but Bullock is great. Penguin is great, but some of the others are just a bit too corny for this show. It's a show I'll watch in chunks when I'm bored... not craving it every week.

Doctor Who has been great this season imo. Capaldi's take on the Doctor is refreshing after Matt Smith's run. Unlike other's I like Clara and the Doctor's chemistry this year. It's disjointed, and not always smooth. It's like an actual relationship in that it has ups and downs. I enjoy that she's capable of doing things this year, whereas early last year, she seemed to just be around to be saved. Which was frustrating after her premiere episodes (the Dalek, and Christmas episodes).

Walking Dead has really hit it's stride after the inconsistencies of the first couple of seasons. It's keeping me tuned in, even as a comic reader, because they are introducing new twists and storylines here and there. There's a real sense of urgency at times, which is pretty nice. Not sure what else to say, it's just a solid show right now.

That's about it for me... I'm kinda boring tongue

Nov 09 14 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Jason Haven wrote:
What I'm watching:

I'm enjoying Flash way more than I thought I would... it's the first CW superhero show that actually admits it's a superhero show. Arrow is too wooden, and attempts to do broody with crappy actors and writing. Flash, on the other hand, is a bit more fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously, it's basically taking the 'Marvel' approach vs the "Nolan/Snyder DC' approach, and it's refreshing. The main cast has actual emotional range, as well as being generally likable in their characterizations.

Agreed. I enjoy Arrow despite the drawbacks you accurately note and watched Flash out of brand loyalty. And liked it quite a bit. I enjoy the characters, especially the lead character, the little frustrated romance thing. And I love the casting of John Wesley Shipp. It's been fun.

Still watching Agents of SHIELD, it's significantly better since Captain America 2's release last year (AoS had a plot point that was waiting on that movie's release). I enjoy that it's turning into a spy vs spy show more than dancing around superhero events awkwardly.

Again, agreed, although some of it is realllly predictably. "Don't give him an inch," Phil says. The guards might as well have been wearing red shirts.

I haven't seen Gotham in a few weeks... it's a frustrating show. Parts of it I really like, for that noir mob vs mob feel. But they are trying to stuff too many Bat' references in too quickly. They need to trust the writing, and the actors more. Gordon is a bit wooden, but Bullock is great. Penguin is great, but some of the others are just a bit too corny for this show. It's a show I'll watch in chunks when I'm bored... not craving it every week.

Not watching it much. But every time I see the Jim Gorden character, I think of a younger Bud White.

Nov 09 14 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Justin wrote:
Again, agreed, although some of it is realllly predictably. "Don't give him an inch," Phil says. The guards might as well have been wearing red shirts.

There has to be a few predictable swings, so that they can pull the wool over your eyes with something else wink

At least that's what I tell myself....

Nov 09 14 05:09 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

Jason Haven wrote:
What I'm watching:

The Flash is way beyond what I expected from a CW show.  Along with the things you mentioned, it also is fun for us old timers to spot all the DC universe "Easter Eggs" hidden in each episode.  Some are pretty easy, others test your geek cred.

Other than The Flash, the only other show I'm following is American Horror Story.  I love creepy carnivals/freak shows!

Nov 09 14 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Wicked Photos wrote:
anybody else watching Get Away With Murder? such an awesome show. thats kinda the only show i am watching now. pretty much with other things.

Boo Boo shoulda been off the air a long time ago.

Jill and I love watching Scandal and then ...Murder. It is an excellent show with a great cast.

Nov 09 14 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Another show bites the dust -- this time, it's a sophomore show:

CBS Cans Will Arnett’s The Millers.

While I love sitcoms, I never did like this show.  I tried it a few times, but I just never liked the characters.  The actors were very good, but the characters were horrible.

Meanwhile, here is TV Guide's list of "bubble" shows.

Seems to me that, while there are a few new winners, this has been a brutal Fall TV season.  Anyone agree?

Nov 15 14 09:08 am Link