Forums > Model Colloquy > Give How Many Pix?

Photographer

Pantaleoni Photographer

San Diego, California, US

I shoot RAW.  (20+ meg the shot.  You know that...)
I give the model small (600 X 900 - 1.54 meg) JPGs of every shot. 
I edit 'some' on request but have found nearly every model with whom I work wants to do his/her own editing.  (Fine by me, it's your picture, just give me credit for the shot...)
So, is there a 'standard' here?  What?  Why?   Thank you all very much...

Oct 01 14 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

London, England, United Kingdom

Everyone gives whatever they want is the answer....

I promise 10-15 which I usually pick and edit, I will give a low resolution copy watermarked for web use to be used as it is and 1 large resolution image for print if they want it.

At the end of the day I may use a few more.... if I do I will send the model a copy anyway. As long as everyone is on the same page its fine, just discuss the details and be clear what the model can expect. Then you have no issues.

Oct 01 14 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Pantaleoni Photographer wrote:
I edit 'some' on request but have found nearly every model with whom I work wants to do his/her own editing.  (Fine by me, it's your picture, just give me credit for the shot...)

I think everyone sets their own standards on this matter. I tend to give more edited pics to models I really like,and hope to work with again.Models who's pics wont flatter my own port,well,I'll give them enough to make them happy.A few models,I have done more than 100 edits for them...but this is rare.If someoneone other than myself is doing the edits,I may or may not want my credit attached,depends on the quality of said other person's work.

Oct 01 14 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Not sure why this is in the model forum, probably better suited to the photography forum.

Most models are going to put one or two images into their portfolio from each shoot.  I don't understand why you'd want to give them much more than that.  I sort of think it's part of my job to retouch the images.  I would not ask or (in most cases) want the model to do that.

Oct 01 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

waynes world pics wrote:

I think everyone sets their own standards on this matter. I tend to give more edited pics to models I really like,and hope to work with again.Models who's pics wont flatter my own port,well,I'll give them enough to make them happy.A few models,I have done more than 100 edits for them...but this is rare.If someoneone other than myself is doing the edits,I may or may not want my credit attached,depends on the quality of said other person's work.

Pretty much what Wayne's World said, except that I have met few models who wanted to their own editing and even fewer who could do a job that I would want my name associated with.

Oct 01 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Not on the internet........no such thing as standard.

Images should only be provided to those who take images as compensation. If you are paying the model, the model isn't entitled to any images. She can either negotiate, if she wants some, or buy them, with only license for portfolio use.

If the model is trading time for images, then she is entitled to copies of everything you shoot, with the same license.......for portfolio use only.

Fair is fair, for both photog and model.

Oct 01 14 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

The closest thing to a standard that I have heard of is that you discuss it prior to the shoot.  Some give a lot, some give a little.  The number does vary from photographer to photographer.  I say, for you, pick a number and go with that.  Discuss it prior to the shoot, and if the model wants more, then work that out with the model.

Oct 03 14 11:00 pm Link

Model

KatrinaWhite

San Mateo, California, US

Every photographer I've ever worked with is different. Most are willing to send me small jpg proofs so I am able to choose which I would like edited versions of. Depending on what/why we're shooting I've gotten anywhere from just 2 to 100s of edited photos back from a shooting session.

I would say about 80% of photographers do not allow others to edit their work and prefer to do their own editing. Editing can make or break a photo so if a model does a terrible edit and then credits you as the photographer, it can make you look bad. Of course there are many photographers out there just like you who don't mind if the model does their own editing. I don't think there is a "right" way to go about this. Just do whatever makes you comfortable and make sure to discuss it with your models ahead of time.

Oct 03 14 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TF: Model gets to see the best of the bunch and my favorites that I've edited. They then pick a few they want edited (no set number, longer we shot for, the more they pick) If they're polite about it, I'll show them all the pictures from the shoot, usually if I do they end up agreeing with the ones I've chosen anyways...so it tends to be an unnecessary step. They can veto any they aren't comfortable with me using (nude or lingerie work mostly) Very rarely do they even ask to edit them themselves, but when they do, I'll tell them if I don't like it, it's not getting used in either portfolio.

Paid: I will have worked out how many shots per look for portfolio fashion/editorial type stuff. For boudoir, I'll usually put together a "set" of each look, edited and retouched to their desire. Sometimes they want all the photos, they can have them. I'll sometimes request a few to use in my portfolio.

Oct 04 14 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I would never give the model all the images from the shoot and I would never allow them to edit any of my images.

That would be like you are a painter you use a model . After you sketch the image you want then prepare the canvas you hand the brushes to the model and tell her to fill it in as she likes.

That's crazy no artist would do that and neither should a photographer.

Oct 04 14 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I would never give the model all the images from the shoot and I would never allow them to edit any of my images.

That would be like you are a painter you use a model . After you sketch the image you want then prepare the canvas you hand the brushes to the model and tell her to fill it in as she likes.

That's crazy no artist would do that and neither should a photographer.

to each his own. Your analogy is poor to the digital age. I can hand over a digital image for the model to push pixels around, and yet my work remains unaltered.

I do allow the model or her retoucher to edit any image of her choosing, but with the caveat she credits whomever retouched the image - I neither want the credit or the blame for others editings.

Oct 04 14 04:24 pm Link