Forums > General Industry > Tips for Keeping Warm During Outdoor Nude Shoot

Photographer

Moonblaze Photography

Macomb, Michigan, US

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of shoots lined up for Thursday that are outdoors at a location that is a small hike away from any heated buildings/parking lots. The forecast says that the low will be 41F that day so not super cold, but definitely an uncomfortable level for a nude person.

I try to make sure any models working with me are comfortable and I also want to make sure shoots are safe and healthy for everyone.

Besides bringing a blanket on the hike, what ideas do you have for keeping everyone warm?

Oct 05 14 04:09 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

A thermos of hot chocolate, coffee or tea is always welcome.  The model should also come with as long of a winter coat that she owns, or a long bathrobe in addition to the blanket and warm slippers to get her feet into between shots. I suppose you could also bring a Coleman catalytic heater that runs on propane, they use those in tents when camping and the little unit puts out a lot of heat.

When I have done outdoor posing in that temperature range, I find it easier to remain nude for a couple of minutes worth of shots before covering up, it makes things go faster than doing one shot at a time. As long as shivering doesn't set in, everything works fine.

Oct 05 14 04:19 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

A thermos with a warm beverage. Pocket handwarmers are pretty good to get a little heat.

Oct 05 14 04:19 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

If legal to do so in the area, you should consider starting a small fire.

Oct 05 14 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Random Image

Pocatello, Idaho, US

Gotta second pocket warmers.  A few those in your hands and pockets can make things a lot more bearable.

Oct 05 14 04:51 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Random Image wrote:
Gotta second pocket warmers.  A few those in your hands and pockets can make things a lot more bearable.

Those might be really helpful for the photographer, but having done outdoor nudes in those temperatures several times, I can assure you that the model is going to say other parts are freezing before she even realizes that her hands are cold, just saying......

The old saying about freezing your butt off is definitely true! Nipples tend to get extremely cold extremely quickly as well.

Oct 05 14 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Sounds as though you will be away from the vehicles.  One additional suggestion to the others, of long warm coat, and hand warmers, is a portable wind shield. If you can keep the wind off, and get the model into a good coat, and some warm slippers, every few shots, and have a warm beverage in a thermos, that will help a whole lot.

It's easier where you can get to a vehicle, to get out of the wind, and even crank up the heater, for a short time, if she gets really chilled.

Oct 05 14 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

move them to California, it's 95 here tongue

wrap up every few minutes, hot cocoa, don't push the session too long,
there will be a point of diminishing return, know when to call it a day

Oct 05 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Moonblaze Photography wrote:
The forecast says that the low will be 41F that day so not super cold, but definitely an uncomfortable level for a nude person.

The low is only one part of this equation. You need the other parts. What is the high? When is the light for the shot? Will they be in shade or sun? Sheltered or in the wind?

Macomb, MI
Monday Showers undefined
63°F | °C
Precipitation: 50%
Humidity: 67%
Wind: 15 mph

Keeping the shoot later in the day away from wind, if possible is the first goal. But if you need early light in the shade and in the wind - that's a tough story.

Space blanket is more efficient and lighter to carry. There is always two in my camera bag. Warm socks (leg warmers) as well as head gear to prevent heat loss during breaks. Also have hand warmers and instant heat packs for really bad conditions. Hot drinks and energy food helps. The best is a running vehicle nearby with the heat on high.

I try to get the model's core body temp up and their energy level (blood sugar) up so the body has plenty of energy to keep them warm right before they go on camera.

Also you have to be ready so you don't keep the model waiting for you to setup or figure things out. I have the setup and camera completely ready before the model has to shed things. You also have to be aware of the model's condition at all times.

Oct 05 14 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

When it became cool and windy in the Arizona desert last November I suggested that we move the shoot to our hotel in Phoenix.  She was very glad to do that because she was cold.  When she entered the hotel room she turned the heat up to 89°.  smile

Oct 05 14 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
When it became cool and windy in the Arizona desert last November I suggested that we move the shoot to our hotel in Phoenix.  She was very glad to do that because she was cold.  When she entered the hotel room she turned the heat up to 89°.  smile

How is that relevant to staying warm outside?

Shooting inside in a heated area has no relevance to staying warm outside during a nude shoot.

Oct 05 14 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Coupla things come to mind.

First - a ground cloth for the model to stand on in order to clean and dry her feet before she puts warm boots on.  nothing ruins the effect of putting warm dry shoes on like having them start off wet, clammy and even muddy.  Uggs with handwarmers inside - fashion be damned - warm wins.

Second - warm cover - I have a long down coat for models to wear between shots and during setup.  Pockets with handwarmers inside - AND an insulated cooler with LOTS of hand warmers inside.  When the model is not wearing the coat - it's inside the box warming up - so she puts on a warm item and she does not spend the first 5 minutes trying to coax enough body heat to warm up the coat.

Hot beverages

And - plan out your shots in great detail - pretend you are shooting in a public area and have to "shoot and scoot" - set up the shot - practice the pose - get the exposures set - all with the model warm and covered,  then, "Give me your coat and hit your marks"  Click - Click - Click   "OK - Put the coat back on." And if the model is going to be uncovered for any time - the coat and boots are in the hotbox.  Spending a lot of time fiddling with camera settings while a nude model is shivering, waiting for you to get your act together, will likely yield nothing but "I hate you Sooo much" expressions smile

Oct 05 14 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Oct 05 14 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Zone7

Washington, District of Columbia, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
$164

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-35000BT … B00505DPRK

looks interesting

Uses a 20lb tank

Oct 05 14 08:04 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Keep the exposure short.  It's all about maintaining core body temperature.

I just did a shoot a couple days ago standing nearly naked in 48 degree water at sunrise.  I was wrapped in a thick robe right before the shoot so I stayed warm for fifteen minutes or so.  My hotel room was near by so I was able to soak my feet in hot water to get back to normal. 

If you don't have a warm room nearby, keep a bucket of hot water in a running vehicle with the heater going.

Oct 05 14 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Zone7 wrote:
Uses a 20lb tank

Is that bad? Bring a garden cart.

$89

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C6E3H/ref … aba2c9cbda

Oct 06 14 07:55 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Oct 06 14 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I liked to bring along a big ol' warm trenchcoat, both for the model to warm up in and to look more more or less innocuous if someone happened along and she needed to look dressed. (It also made for a charming shot once when one model gave me a big ol' grin and opened the coat to flash the camera.)

With one exception last year, I've sorta given up on cold-weather skimpy or nude shooting. I hate to see people shiver and be uncomfortable, and I feel like a jerk shooting while staying wrapped up. It just got to be too much cost and not enough benefit. It's certainly a neat form. Just not for me much anymore.

Oct 06 14 08:11 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Random Image wrote:

MatureModelMM wrote:
Those might be really helpful for the photographer, but having done outdoor nudes in those temperatures several times, I can assure you that the model is going to say other parts are freezing before she even realizes that her hands are cold, just saying......

The old saying about freezing your butt off is definitely true! Nipples tend to get extremely cold extremely quickly as well.

You are allowed to use them on other parts of your body besides your hands.

Oct 06 14 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Is that bad? Bring a garden cart.

Wonder if you've ever used one in the open. The hot air dissipates within 2-3 feet and if you stand that close, you burn on one side and freeze on the other. Constant turning kinda helps, but the hot area is small and the rest of you is cold. The temperature differential makes the hot air rise pretty fast. You need to hang the model slightly in front and above the exhaust on a rotating spit and baste constantly. They taste good after though.

Works in an enclose space, but in the open is a big waste of fuel. Instant heat packs inside a warm wrap works fine.

Justin wrote:
I feel like a jerk shooting while staying wrapped up. It just got to be too much cost and not enough benefit.

I will work topless or in t-shirt often when shooting bikinis in January at a Boston beach.

Oct 06 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Justin wrote:
I feel like a jerk shooting while staying wrapped up. It just got to be too much cost and not enough benefit.

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
I will work topless or in t-shirt often when shooting bikinis in January at a Boston beach.

Oh, I've gone without a jacket in the snow and said it was for solidarity with the model. But that only goes so far. If I'm shivering, it might interfere with the creative process, not to mention camera stability.

Oct 06 14 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I wait till summer.

Oct 06 14 09:10 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Give her the nice warm jacket off your back to wear during breaks.

And yeah, hand warmers are great!

Oh, its also a good idea both of you talk about exactly what you're going after... Wastes less time that way.

Oct 06 14 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

A thick, long overcoat.  Or maybe two, then you don't have to share.

Oct 06 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Ken Warren Photography

GLENMOORE, Pennsylvania, US

I have a pop up changing room that would serve to get the model out of the wind. (I've never used it for that purpose, though, just as a changing room.) I might also consider a small catalytic propane tent heater (in an appropriate enclosed space). They usually use a 1 lb or so bottle and produce around 3k-5k BTUs.

I'll also mention that 40 degrees F is generally considered life threatening without proper protective gear. Hypothermia will set in in under an hour for sure. Take lots of precautions, stop and warm up when the model starts to shiver, etc. If she starts to mumble, fumble with things, stumble around (the "-umbles"), you're done and she needs to be warmed up immediately, preferably with heat packs, hot water bottles, electric blankets, etc.

Oct 06 14 10:05 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
Works in an enclose space, but in the open is a big waste of fuel.

I've never used one anywhere but I'd be leery of using something like that anywhere BUT in the open. But, okay. Scratch that idea.

Oct 06 14 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Reherse (?) your shots poses and exposure before she undressed.

Did one on a 12 deg day in Perth with 30km/hr southerly one morning. Model had her fiance being our look out and periodically had to wrap her in a blanket for a warm cudddle. It's a tough job, poor bastard I really felt sorry for him. Lol.

Oct 07 14 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My idea for keeping warm or cool during an outdoor shoot is to use a location trailer, with heat and ac, of course you would have to be able to get your vehicle to the proposed shooting area, so while a location trailer is a great idea,  it's not too practical for you

Oct 07 14 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ohhh, hey, how about a small generator and an electric blanket?

Oct 07 14 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

The trouble with a lot of these "solutions" is they don't actually generate heat.

At some point the model is in need of "supplementary heat" she / he might not generate enough heat to get warm again using their own body heat.

Warm coats, blankets etc. just get cold if they are off, so you have a cold model jumping into a cold possibly damp coat due to the dankness of the forest, not a formula for quickly getting warm.

You need to us chemical hand warmers, lots of them to keep the blankets and coats warm.  You need to invest in electric socks and gloves so they at least have some form of supplemental heat.  As suggested a small fire near the scene if permittedk.  Have other in the group give the model their warm coats and have those warmer crew members slip into the colder spare coat to warm it up for the next round.

Remember to bring towels to wipe their feet so they are not shoving wet dirty feet into warm boots.

I'm a contractor who works out in the cold all the time, although because I'm doing hard labour outside, so even in winter I tend to overheat, but this is what we use  when it gets in the sub zero range.  A bit pricey ($200 CDN) but if you are doing a lot of outdoor shoots worth the money:

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tool … id=PSJ120m

Oct 07 14 06:40 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

I would take an extra person. They can hold the robe, coat, etc while the model is posing and assist with getting Uggs or Paks on and off. Even fuzzy slippers would help with the feet and have something on the ground to keep the feet clean but to insulate those tootsies from the soil. A down filled sleeping bag can be unzipped and wrapped around the model.

That extra person is also good as a look out for other people as well as holding a reflector or gear.

Oct 07 14 09:40 am Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

I've looked at this a lot...and decided to take a winter backpacking/camping approach where all parties are prepared to be outdoors in the elements with the proper clothing.

The 41 degrees with a 15 mph wind with humidity-laden air will be like freezing weather.

To consider...you must have a wind break.  A 4-person tent will do this. 

The small cooking stoves provide heat and the ability to warm food and beverages and the inside of a tent if used properly.

Some kind of long cover for the model that also has wind breaking ability...a bathrobe would be useless with any kind of breeze.

I would try to have room for a catalytic heater...which uses infrared rays to heat.  Just don't use it to warm her during the shots...as the infrared rays could mess up the white balance.  However, it might add some nice evening effects.

The tent could also provide another photo op.

Last but not least.  Things can go wrong.  If you are out of cell distance, and away from others any distance, take a hikers beacon/transmitter with you...especially if you have to hike any distance at all.  An injury...like a broken ankle...could turn things into a dangerous situation very quickly when out in the elements.  This is why I suggest taking the winter camping trip approach so that you are prepared to stay longer if it turns out you have to.  Every year hikers die up here because they weren't prepared.

Oct 07 14 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Hugs!

Oct 07 14 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

In the past when it has been a freezing shoot, nude or not, I tend to wear a gortechs jacket. Then between shots I offer it to the model. It has always been very much welcomed. Then while shooting again , I throw it back on and warm it up again.
Word of warning, no garlic the night before, make sure to bath and use deodorizer.  The last thing you want is to have a model rather freeze than to take a stinky jacket. 😃

Oct 08 14 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:
How is that relevant to staying warm outside?

Shooting inside in a heated area has no relevance to staying warm outside during a nude shoot.

I could see that she was very uncomfortable outside in cold and wind.  Sometimes it is not practical to shoot a model outside if she is uncomfortable!  The images taken would show her discomfort! The weather was fine up until that time.

Oct 08 14 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

When shooting nudes outdoors in chilly weather, we provide the models with Air Force jump suits.

They're lightweight, provide warmth and are easy and fast to get in and out of.

Oct 08 14 08:55 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

41 isn't that bad as long as there isn't wind. I like to bring a full length coat and leg warmers. Can jump in and out of in 2 seconds. That works for me.
If its windy then a wind block of some sort, the coat and warm up breaks often (15 min or so).

Oct 08 14 11:07 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

And 41 in the sun in Colorado is a lot different than in a cloudy Cleveland. Depends on the models too and where they are from. Altitude makes a difference too. Most photographers don't take liquor near a shoot but it is really a bad idea if you are cold. You might want to have an extra coat or something in the car to change into after.

Oct 08 14 11:40 am Link

Photographer

garrinevan

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Move to Florida! It's at least 80 degrees here...

Seriously though, I've photographed in Atlanta (my prior home) when it was more like 30 degrees. Bring a few warm jackets that can be put on at a moment's notice, and they do sell hand warmers on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-4400mA … and+warmer

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Rehe … and+warmer

Oct 08 14 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Guillaume Demeyere

Kortrijk, West Flanders, Belgium

Might be a silly idea, but why not take a tent and portable heater? Seems the most comfortable way! That way the rest of the crew might warm up too.

Be sure to not light the tent on fire though and use these only when someone is nearby. And consider these burn up oxygen, although it says safe to use indoors, you can never be too careful.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23200 … ric+heater

EDIT: just saw the post is 2 years old, my bad! (looked at the date, but not the year...)

Oct 09 16 10:34 am Link