Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching sickness???

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I am a bit ashamed to bring it up, but is there something like retouching sickness?

I love photography, the interaction with team-members, the planning in advance, enjoy every second of it. But as soon as I finish copying my memory card to the hdd, not really sure what happens, but this blanket of misery falls down on me.

I fire up PS, and almost need to cry. Whenever I am working on an image, I feel unhappy, lonely, stressed, like I am caged like an animal. It's not that I can't concentrate, but it's the gut feeling that is making me noxious for some reason. Kinda like retouching/the need to retouch has a repulsive effect on me sad

Does this sound weird? Because I really like to improve my skills, but whenever I do my sessions, I feel the life sucked out of me by the minute.

Any tips?

Oct 10 14 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

Maybe you really don't like retouching because it's confining and it pushes a button from something troubling in your past that hasn't been resolved........ that will be $90.

See you same time next week.

Oct 10 14 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You get a good feeling from the creative aspect of the shoot itself.  However, you find the retouching very boring and not creative at all so it just seems like a waste of your time and you're completely turned off when you do it.  I would say that your feeling is very common.  I like doing a shoot, but the post work is mostly drudgery.  If you only edit a few images from each shoot perhaps you should consider having someone else do the retouching work for you.

Oct 10 14 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I have a photographer friend that looooves to shoot but just can't stand retouching even though she wants to improve at it to the point where she'll often take on a bunch of shoots but then not give models photos until months later because she's procrastinating retouching them.

Me on the other hand, I love retouching and I actually wanna work as a retoucher.  If you don't like retouching stay away from beauty because it can take me 6 hours to edit some images and even I can get burnt out after 30 hours of retouching a beauty editorial over a few days :p Stick to fashion and more natural portraits and you won't have to retouch as much, or you could always just hire someone if you have the extra cash.

Oct 10 14 03:37 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Top Gun Digital wrote:
You get a good feeling from the creative aspect of the shoot itself.  However, you find the retouching very boring and not creative at all so it just seems like a waste of your time and you're completely turned off when you do it.  I would say that your feeling is very common.  I like doing a shoot, but the post work is mostly drudgery.  If you only edit a few images from each shoot perhaps you should consider having someone else do the retouching work for you.

+1
This is what I would say too. If you get such a negative feeling from retouching, maybe it's wise to lay it off for a while... Perhaps expend it to a retoucher (or someone else with PS-skills) whose work you trust, to not let people wait too long for their photos.

Don't let this 'retouching sickness' get to you! Because you don't want to lose your inspiration or the joy of shooting just because you're dreading the retouchwork that comes with it!

All the best! smile

Oct 10 14 03:58 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Retouching is boring indeed... but so is 3D sculpting when you get used to it tongue

try to focus on how good your final image will look after you've gone through all those...or the pay...big_smile

Oct 10 14 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to put together a shoot that needs no retouching.

Oct 10 14 04:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

I may be wrong, but from reading your description it is very obvious that you are an extravert. I am not sure how true this really is, but it seems that many who actually enjoy retouching tend to have a more introvert personality. Retouching (freelance) is often a solo job where it's just you and your computer for hours at a time, if you are more social in personality and require that constant social interaction for energy, then you will feel like a caged bird.

Someone who is more of an introvert would rather be to themselves doing their thing more often than not, so they can often excel as a solo Retoucher without feeling like their soul is being sucked out of them as you have described.

Yes, I understand that there are many retouchers who work in groups (agencies) or on set, but I am pretty confident that you will find many more who are one guy/gal and their computer working alone.

Same as you will find with many visual artist, we often work solo in studio, office, etc. creating traditional or digital art for hours on end and have no problem with it for the most part.

Oct 10 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

RINALDI wrote:
Any tips?

Buy yourself the biggest Wacom tablet you can afford! It made a huge difference for me anyway..

Cheers!
Noah

Oct 10 14 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

RINALDI wrote:
Any tips?

Start Shooting Film

Oct 10 14 07:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Start Shooting Film

Even with traditional film there is post work where you would be spending time in a darkroom to develop the film (still dodging and burning wink ).

Oct 10 14 07:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Flat White Retouching

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The (retouching) doctor is in! I will cure your sickness and do your retouching for you!

I must agree with this though:

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
I may be wrong, but from reading your description it is very obvious that you are an extravert. I am not sure how true this really is, but it seems that many who actually enjoy retouching tend to have a more introvert personality. Retouching (freelance) is often a solo job where it's just you and your computer for hours at a time, if you are more social in personality and require that constant social interaction for energy, then you will feel like a caged bird.

Someone who is more of an introvert would rather be to themselves doing their thing more often than not, so they can often excel as a solo Retoucher without feeling like their soul is being sucked out of them as you have described.

I used to do wedding photography and although I love shooting, the stress just used to get to me. Now that I retouch full time, I can work from the comfort of my own home. Its all about finding what you love doing and sticking to that.

Oct 11 14 01:23 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Yes, I understand that there are many retouchers who work in groups (agencies) or on set, but I am pretty confident that you will find many more who are one guy/gal and their computer working alone.

Same as you will find with many visual artist, we often work solo in studio, office, etc. creating traditional or digital art for hours on end and have no problem with it for the most part.

Well, I can tell you that I am actually bit more introvert than extravert. I like to do many things alone, for example, on holiday I absolutely love walking by myself and take pics. In fact, I like painting alone as well, not that I do it very often as the material is pretty expensive.

So maybe it's related to the computer? I don't need social interaction or being with other people to properly work on my computer, so nope that isn't the problem either.

Maybe it has something to do with the way I perceive things. When I see of hear or experience something, I always do that in it's totality. I noticed that when it's related to non-creative things, like project management or business, I can put all the little pieces that are required together pretty easily, resulting in the total that I want.

Yet, when it's creative, I seem to have no connection at all. So I see my picture, I know exactly how I want it to be in the end, and that's it! My brain simply shuts down haha. Like it doesn't have a clue How to get from A to B, and at the same time doesn't feel like it to shift some memory capacity to solve it. The other part of the brain is really trying to push it so it seems, to get all parts in check and working and solve it, but it get's zero response.

Summarized:
1. I see my picture
2. I see the reference picture
3. I somewhat know what to do (technical part of PS which can be learned)

...but,

4. it's STUCK! (you know, like a 1st person video game that has a bug, and your character can't get out of a corner while there are no obstacles)

smile

Oct 18 14 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Why can't you just hire a retoucher? big_smile

Oct 18 14 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Even with traditional film there is post work where you would be spending time in a darkroom to develop the film (still dodging and burning wink ).

Totally different from spending hours in front of a computer screen
Maybe he will find darkroom enjoyable ?

Oct 18 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Jakov Markovic wrote:
Why can't you just hire a retoucher? big_smile

I definitely would if I had the budget for it, which normally is lunch with a TFP project. But yes, if I get paid (by a client), everyone gets paid by me, including the retoucher.

From time to time I spent hours watching images on websites of advertising post-production houses, and try not to get weepy from all that great stuff. lol big_smile

Oct 18 14 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Totally different from spending hours in front of a computer screen
Maybe he will find darkroom enjoyable ?

I think that I will enjoy it, depends on the girl I guess. Wait...what?! tongue

Seriously, I am ashamed because I've never done that so no idea how it feels. Settled on digital because it has the best quality/finance balance for me. I started with analog but had the films developed by photo stores. I do love analog pics though! wink

Oct 18 14 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

HBA 1

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Toto Photo wrote:
Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to put together a shoot that needs no retouching.

So, completely far off base.

Oct 21 14 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

What makes you say that Hazem?

Would be one hell of a challenge--he sounds up for challenge.

Oct 21 14 11:01 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

As an hobbyist I Love planning the shoot, meeting the model and proceed with the shoot and look forward to reviewing what images can be improved, cropped, and explore all the possibilities offered in PS. Again, this just a hobby!

Nov 05 14 07:12 pm Link