Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Does this image look airbrushed?

Photographer

UpscaleEmpire

BRONX, New York, US

Hey I recently started taking interest into portraits && doing my own retouching. But i keep having a bad habit of making my final retouch edits look air brushed... Here's a couple examples...

Full Image Comparison
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5jug2iuaj4ht … M.jpg?dl=0

Close-up Image Comparison
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj5v48nzgkiik … M.jpg?dl=0

Some ppl I asked opinions from said it looked airbrushed as if it had a cartoon effect... The model herself mentioned that the lips & nose doesn't look like her own... So maybe yall can help me out on yall opinion or if I'm doing something wrong... I kno most aim for this look but I want to be able to learn how to do more of a realistic natural retouch..

What I did:
-Frequency separation using the stamp tool as well
-I have a high pass filter for sharpening
-I did dodge & burn ( I just light & dark tones of her complexion instead of just white & black)

Maybe that gives yall alittle behind the scenes of the steps I took towards retouching the skin... Which is my main issue.. Her eyeballs & hair is perfect to me but an all around critique is highly appreciated. Thanks to all!

Nov 03 14 01:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Whitney Minthorn

Pendleton, Oregon, US

Forget frequency separation and keep practicing with Dodge & Burn. It's a good start.

Nov 03 14 11:49 pm Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

He cartoon effect comes about because there is not contour in face here so looks all very flat. Yes dodge ad burn to show off her nice bone structure. FS on close exam I do see some texture. Did pretty good job on that. You can keep going in that direction and will be good. Airbrushing is film btw done with special instrument smile

Nov 04 14 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Her face looks flat like a mask

Nov 04 14 03:26 am Link

Photographer

UpscaleEmpire

BRONX, New York, US

Thank you so much guys! I'm def going to keep working on my D&B skills..! I figured that's what it was & yall definitely confirmed it...

Nov 04 14 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Looks good to me but my personal preference would be to add some dodge and burn.

Nov 04 14 09:30 am Link