Forums > Critique > How/what can I improve?

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I feel like I get a lot of positive feed back on here, which is nice but I often find it more helpful to hear about what I'm doing wrong so I can work on fixing it.  Based on my portfolio I'd love to hear any way I can improve my work or if there's anything that sticks out as something wrong I'd love to know.

Let's hear it smile

Nov 04 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

First your work is outstanding.  Regarding how to improve. One way is to find writers at publications and pitch them ideas and develop them together to make an editorial.  I love working in collaboration and editors don't have time to pair photographers with writers many times.  Also, writers are always looking for ideas.  It's easy enough to pick up a magazine and find contributing or staff writers and pitch your ideas.  Great work.

Nov 04 14 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The work is fine, but the page tends to be heavily beauty, and not a lot of other genres.

Nov 04 14 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
The work is fine, but the page tends to be heavily beauty, and not a lot of other genres.

Yeah, I think my beauty work just happens to be stronger, and it's more difficult for me to shoot fashion because I'm broke and buying wardrobe can be expensive.  I am doing a fashion/portrait shoot this week though so hopefully it'll be good enough to add.

Nov 04 14 05:03 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree that your work is really good, and noticed in your profile that you have an art background. My suggestion is to add something to the genres you are already successful with.

Perhaps traditional fine art nudes, and promote them to local galleries for display, or find a connection with a major gallery in a big city to hang your work. You could either photograph the nudes and display the photos, or paint the artwork using your photos as references.  There is no wardrobe or additional expense on the part of a photographer in shooting art nudes. If you paint from them, of course the costs of materials used come into play.

Nov 04 14 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
I agree that your work is really good, and noticed in your profile that you have an art background. My suggestion is to add something to the genres you are already successful with.

Perhaps traditional fine art nudes, and promote them to local galleries for display, or find a connection with a major gallery in a big city to hang your work. You could either photograph the nudes and display the photos, or paint the artwork using your photos as references.  There is no wardrobe or additional expense on the part of a photographer in shooting art nudes. If you paint from them, of course the costs of materials used come into play.

While I like artistic nudes it's not really the direction I want my work to go in at the moment and I feel like it might be like starting over as apposed to growing and improving my current porfolio, but if I have free time in the future and can find a good local model to pose nude I don't think it would hurt to give that a try.

Nov 06 14 08:38 am Link