Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > HBO's "The Newsroom" - Anyone Watching?

Photographer

Stone Groove

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This show started it's final season this evening and it seems to have no buzz at all. Critics have been mixed in their reviews since it first premiered, but I usually find it to be thoughtful & engaging. It can get preachy at times, but even then - it's pretty much on target.

Sorkin is an idealist at heart (always has been really, i.e. Sports Night, The West Wing, etc.) and I wish there were more thought provoking drama like this and maybe less zombies & "real" housewives, etc.

Nov 09 14 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I love it. The characters are great and the writing is amazing.
It pisses me off that shows like this can't find an audience but they can't seem to keep up with the demand for reality shows that celebrate the shitiest people the world has to offer.

Nov 09 14 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but dropped HBO after GoT ended. I guess I'll have to watch the new episodes on demand next year when GoT is back. I just don't watch enough to justify almost $20/month for one channel.

Nov 10 14 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't know the new season had started. We just watched it On Demand and it was great. I hate that such a good show will only get three seasons. On Demand always has an interview with Sorkin after each episode. The research he has done into the details is amazing. I had no idea John King of CNN had announced the capture of a Boston Bomber incorrectly. Nor did I know the NY Post published a cover photo of two innocent people calling them the bombers.

Nov 10 14 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah, not a lot of advertising for this show.  But I am watching it.

I'm a big, big, big fan of Sorkin.  Loved Sports Night, The West Wing, Studio 60, etc.  But his characters tend to be wicked smart and as I get older, it's admittedly becoming more difficult to follow the dialog.

I'm sad that this is the last season.  Like many such shows, the situations are exaggerated & slanted.  The "integrity" of the news people is also exaggerated.  And there is so much misinformation floating around nowadays and so much influence by the rich that the news media is becoming less & less relevant.

Bring Back Sports Night!!!

BTW:  Sorkin says nowadays that he is not likely to go back into television.  Boo!

Nov 11 14 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Sports Night was awesome. What a cast. Josh Charles, Peter Krauss, Felicity Huffman(who met her hubby William H. Macy on the show) and so many others. Many, like Joshua Maliena showed up on the West Wing.

It was a unique show that I would love to see again. Sorkin at his best.

Nov 12 14 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Stone Groove wrote:
This show started it's final season this evening and it seems to have no buzz at all. Critics have been mixed in their reviews since it first premiered, but I usually find it to be thoughtful & engaging. It can get preachy at times, but even then - it's pretty much on target.

Sorkin is an idealist at heart (always has been really, i.e. Sports Night, The West Wing, etc.) and I wish there were more thought provoking drama like this and maybe less zombies & "real" housewives, etc.

I was hooked after watching the first episode. I tuned in because I'm a fan of my fellow Michigander Jeff Daniels. After the first 3 minutes and I knew it was going to be goooooood. I think Jeff is very underrated as an actor and the only let down is that it's ending.

Nov 13 14 02:21 am Link