Forums > Critique > Thinking about quitting.

Model

Elyse Nicole Craft

Tampa, Florida, US

I wanted modeling to take me all over the world, but it's just not happening hmm

Nov 25 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

this is a forum where you post new work/get or give critiques...how are we supposed to help you if you just complain?

Nov 25 14 11:54 am Link

Model

Elyse Nicole Craft

Tampa, Florida, US

Sorry.

Nov 25 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

LMG Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It's likely a marketing problem more than anything.

Nov 25 14 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

You are 20 years old. You can't abandon your aspirations.

Nov 25 14 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

When I look through your portfolio.....I feel like you HAVE been around the world.  Lots of diversity.  Great portfolio. 

Don't give up....just watch 'Lord of the Rings' again to remind yourself that the most important things in life to aspire toward require sacrifice and hard work, and repeated episodes of discouragement and wanting to give up.  But...there is a way, and even if you can't see it yet, you have to stay in the game long enough to find it. 

You just gotta....keep on keeping on 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKL4X0PZz7M  <----  Theme Song

Nov 25 14 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Elyse Nicole Craft wrote:
I wanted modeling to take me all over the world, but it's just not happening hmm

I perused your profile/port on here, and your credited images.

You are very good looking with a superb figure. However your stats are not going to get you far, if at all in the brick & mortar world.

That leaves the internet world. It appears other than some implied work, you don't do nudes. If you did, many nude models have traveled the world fairly successfully. You're not likely going to do that while clothed.

Then there is what someone else said about marketing yourself. Successful nude travel models do not operate under a "build it & they will come" attitude.
They've learned to market themselves well, and to do so realize you will likely spend at least twice the amount of hours doing that, than actual shooting. Meaning for every 4 hours you spend in front of the camera, you'll spend 8 hours getting there.

Good luck. smile

Nov 25 14 03:42 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Modeling won't take you all over the world, and it's not going to happen without constant effort for you.  You can't sit back and wait for it to happen.  You have to MAKE it happen!  Take yourself all over the world!

Nov 25 14 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Barber

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I'm sorry you are discouraged: you have a great portfolio. Your location may be working against you -- you're close enough to the San Francisco area to be getting strong competition from the very large number of models there. 

I never have worked as a model (!!!); so don't have suggestions to offer about how you could improve your chances of making your dream reality. I do want to observe that I recently shot with an EXCELLENT professional model, who also has a day job that is sufficiently flexible to enable her to accept modeling assignments.

I hope things improve for you.

Nov 25 14 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Are there agencies that represent 5'4" models?  If so then pursue those agencies for representation.  Or why not go through a talent agency.

You are beautiful.  Have you thought of acting, or commercials ? 

Seems like you have options you just need to fight for your place in the industry

Nov 25 14 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Note!
FYI - duplicate of https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=936606

Since this is the critique forum I am leaving both threads so that the member can get the gamut of thoughts, both in critique and from the industry forum.

Nov 25 14 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Since we are in critique I will be a little more forward. You are young and pretty. You have what it takes to be a freelance model, but I would abandon all hope for fashion. I feel it doesn't suit you and your height is a limiting factor.

I think your current port is diluted with these "fashiony" images which detract from your true strength, which is glamour/boudoir.

I would cull down the port to the best glamour/boudoir images you have, seek out more photographers that specialize in that kind of work, and re-brand yourself as that.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Nov 25 14 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Peter House wrote:
Since we are in critique I will be a little more forward. You are young and pretty. You have what it takes to be a freelance model, but I would abandon all hope for fashion. I feel it doesn't suit you and your height is a limiting factor.

I think your current port is diluted with these "fashiony" images which detract from your true strength, which is glamour/boudoir.

I would cull down the port to the best glamour/boudoir images you have, seek out more photographers that specialize in that kind of work, and re-brand yourself as that.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Actually what I was thinking before she started the critique thread.

+1

Nov 25 14 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Peter House wrote:

+1

For me this is the best image on your port:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140530/12/5388d91fc711f_m.jpg

While the follow:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140907/11/540c9e1930ab2_m.jpg
exalt your potential on that genres.

Nov 26 14 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Well your welcome to come to Minnesota, just bring your warm underwear it is 15 degrees this morning. I think a lot of success is being at the right place at the right time, getting the break of a lifetime. So to be at the right place you have to put yourself out there, working for a modeling company, posting your photos on as many web sites as you can, unless people see you they  won’t know you exist. That’s where quality images come to play, if you have fantastic photos it is easier to get hired.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140916/11/541882102b5e2_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130213/11/511becfca280c_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140916/11/541881edc703c_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140723/22/53d09e53bc7f0_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140422/22/53574ea838af7_m.jpg
Based on these photos, I can say you have an incredible look
[Photography aside]

I wish you the best in what ever you do!

Happy Thanksgiving

Nov 26 14 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Of course it isn't. Only top models working through the top agencies, are going to get those opportunities.

There is a lot of fantasy, about modeling, that simply doesn't translate to the real world.

Nov 26 14 05:52 am Link

Photographer

ShapeTheLight

Garner, North Carolina, US

Don't quit..You are super sexy..it is a process..What genre are you going for?..Height does limit you for certain genres..But I feel you could get into catalog maybe even commercial..Don't waste your talent by quitting..

Nov 26 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Maybe you should take me up on my offer to pay your travel to shoot with me in the Bay Area. Its a small opportunity, but its a start.

We've exchanged multiple messages over the last 2 months.
2 weeks ago I offered pay.

6 days ago I sent you a message.
Its still unread.

Nov 26 14 09:30 pm Link

Model

Josie Lee

San Diego, California, US

I think you have a GREAT look! I love your hair with the bangs especially and your
legs are killer. Lovely smile, too!

Don't be discouraged. It's heavy competition out there, with lots of
other beautiful girls out there. In my opinion, sometimes marketing is almost more important
than the actual looks of the model. Think of yourself as a "brand". Who are other successful
models out there at your height? How to they differentiate themselves from the masses?
What do they specialize in? Who do they shoot with? Who does their makeup and styling? Find out and fly yourself out there to shoot with them. Don't TF unless the photographer adds something spectacular to your book, and adds prestige by association. That's one small part of marketing as a model. Get a rad publicist.
Get published and call a bunch of radio stations asking if they might be interested in interviewing local models in a certain segment of their program. Audition for commercials. Market yourself with links to these commercials. Make a press kit. Any local newspapers in your area publish
"Babe of the day" spots? Send them your comp card and a short bio that is interesting and stands out. Be proactive. Don't wait for opportunities. Make your own opportunities.
This is my opinion.....

Good luck! I wish you the best!

Nov 26 14 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

2 things:

1. If you are waiting for Modeling to take you all over the world then that probably won't happen. YOU have to take modeling all over the world

2. If you give up on your dreams so easily (at age 20), then you are going to have a very unsatisfactory and discouraging life. Good things come to those who persevere, and not to those who quit

Best wishes in your decisions

Nov 27 14 07:56 pm Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Blaire_ wrote:
Modeling won't take you all over the world, and it's not going to happen without constant effort for you.  You can't sit back and wait for it to happen.  You have to MAKE it happen!  Take yourself all over the world!

Good advice!!! I know many girls on MM that ended up starting local, and then traveling outside the USA. Mostly Canada, Australia and UK for paid gigs

Dec 05 14 11:37 pm Link

Model

Nadia Ruslanova

Tampa, Florida, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Maybe you should take me up on my offer to pay your travel to shoot with me in the Bay Area. Its a small opportunity, but its a start.

We've exchanged multiple messages over the last 2 months.
2 weeks ago I offered pay.

6 days ago I sent you a message.
Its still unread.

Wanna msg me? LOL!

Dec 05 14 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

LMG Images wrote:
It's likely a marketing problem more than anything.

This.

Dec 05 14 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Blaire_ wrote:

And this....no one's going to hand it to you on a silver platter.

Dec 05 14 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelAngelo

Sarasota, Florida, US

Blaire_ wrote:

Well said!

Dec 06 14 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Nudes. Sorry. Josie (who is SUPER DUPER hot) likes your bangs. I hate them. Your portfolio is too girl next door for me. There's just nothing that's incredibly unique or makes me want to stop and peruse. So again, nudes. OR, seriously change your look. And I mean drastically. Or better yet,  both. My 2 cents.

Dec 06 14 01:49 am Link

Photographer

BkkDan

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Have a different take. Travel to someplace in the world, then start to ask for projects there. You'll get somewhere. Start from zero got nothing to lose..

Dec 06 14 03:02 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

juliarabkin wrote:
this is a forum where you post new work/get or give critiques...how are we supposed to help you if you just complain?

Because there is a wave of folks in here now that tread every thread they start like a personal tweet it seems.

Jen
personal tweets that are whining

Dec 06 14 04:26 am Link