Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Too much automation!

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Feeling my curmudgeon today.  I've got two complaints about automation:

1)  Girl Scout cookies -- instead of having the little darlings sell the cookies, girl scout cookies are going to be available on-line.  Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose of teaching the scouts how to interact with their community in a safe(ish) way?

2)  Had problem with my TV service Friday, and after spending time with tech support, we set up an on-site visit for Saturday afternoon, which turned out to be very convenient for me.  On Saturday morning, I get a call from a robot, confirming my appointment -- I could keep it, change it, or cancel it.  "What do you want to do?"  I said, slowly & clearly "Keep it".  The robot then goes ahead & changes the appointment to Wednesday, which would be significantly less convenient.  It didn't  understand me.  It didn't ask me to confirm.  It wouldn't give me my appointment back.  I called the service & complained, but they couldn't give me my appointment back.  I will no longer talk with robots -- don't call me with a robot!

I hate when people vent.  I apologize for venting.

Dec 01 14 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
1)  Girl Scout cookies -- instead of having the little darlings sell the cookies, girl scout cookies are going to be available on-line.  Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose of teaching the scouts how to interact with their community in a safe(ish) way?

Girl Scout cookies became a brand-value effort as a means to sell another company's stuff long ago. Having a dedicated labor pool of uniformed little girls working for nothing helps.

Dec 01 14 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

If I can't order them via Amazon Prime, are they really for sale online?

Dec 01 14 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Schlake wrote:

If I can't order them via Amazon Prime, are they really for sale online?

Of course... now we have Alibaba

Dec 01 14 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Recently I called Duke Energy about a power outage.  The computerized phone system didn't seem to have any breakout to a human being.  The computer automatically recognized my phone number and dispatched a truck.  Only problem is, I've got two accounts.  About an hour later I got a call from the truck driver trying to find my country place in the deep boondocks about 75 miles away from the actual problem.  The driver wasn't bothered by the mistake since he gets paid per call-out whether he does anything or not.  Fortunately, others in the neighborhood called as well so the problem got fixed.

Dec 01 14 09:51 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

There is almost nothing I call services about that can be fixed without the assistance of an actual person.

I HATE when web-based services make you send them an email, and they will "get back" to you - generally with some automatic bullshit, rather than an actual call from a human. Some places don't even have customer service numbers you can call anymore.

If I can't state my problem to an actual qualified professional, chances are that I can't get it fixed either.

Dec 02 14 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Feel Better now
https://www.homecinemachoice.com/sites/18/images/article_images_month/2013-01/i%20robot%203d%2002.jpg

Dec 02 14 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Koryn wrote:
Some places don't even have customer service numbers you can call anymore.

Yep. And when they do that, I complain via Twitter. Only one company has so far failed to provide satisfaction via Twitter.

OnTrac Shipping. Well, two companies if you count Amazon continuing to use OnTrac.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Changed-Pr … 42X7L5W/1/

Over a thousand complaints - that's not the only thread about OnTrac.

Other companies seem to panic when complaints hit Twitter, and scramble to fix it.

Dec 02 14 06:04 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Amazon is beginning to use more robots in their warehouses.  That's automation!

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/01/these- … on-orders/

When fast food goes fully automated, wonder what is to become of the human worker?

Dec 02 14 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

GRMACK wrote:
Amazon is beginning to use more robots in their warehouses.  That's automation!

That doesn't bother me as much (although we can all mourn the loss of jobs).

I'm just saying that automation is an exceedingly poor substitute for interpersonal interactions.

BTW:  I have an advanced computer science degree with an emphasis in human-machine interactions.  It bothers me that these robots are poorly conceived & poorly implemented.  If the darn system worked, if the darn system actually listened to me, this thread wouldn't have been started by me.

It amazes me how many poor user interfaces are out there.

Dec 02 14 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

It's not too much automation - it's too much BAD automation. Tell the truth - would you really rather drive to the bank and stand in line to deal with a teller, or go online from your desk at work or home or on your phone and make the same transaction? Or stay on hold for an hour, while a recorded voice tells you every five minutes just how important your call is to them? Then when you do get a human, they explain to you that you have the wrong department, but they'll be glad to transfer you to another person, except when they do, you're back on hold again (but your call is VERY important to them).

I've often thought that unemployment could be wiped out overnight if the companies would hire enough people to answer their damn phones and Walmart would hire enough cashiers to keep at least 50% of their check stands open.

Dec 02 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Grady Richardson wrote:
I've often thought that unemployment could be wiped out overnight if the companies would hire enough people to answer their damn phones and Walmart would hire enough cashiers to keep at least 50% of their check stands open.

I've always been amused that Walmart will spend a fortune on a store building and another fortune on inventory, but then gets cheap on hiring people to move the merchandise out of the store.  Their online ordering system has to be the worst ever for trying to find something.

Dec 02 14 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Koryn wrote:
I HATE when web-based services make you send them an email, and they will "get back" to you - generally with some automatic bullshit, rather than an actual call from a human. Some places don't even have customer service numbers you can call anymore.

In my aforementioned problem with the electric company, I finally found a working number for a human so I could complain about their computerized phone problem.  She suggested that next time I send an email.  I had to explain to her that when my electricity was out I couldn't send emails.  Sheesh.

Dec 02 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

It amazes me how many poor user interfaces are out there.

In my time as a programmer/analyst, I always wrote user interfaces as though the dumbest employee in the company was going to be using it.  As a system designer, it also helps to know the business you are programming for so you can anticipate all combinations of possibilities.  The recent trend of outsourcing programming rather than having experienced in-house capabilities has been counter-productive in that aspect.  It's kind of like hiring the Craigslist photographer thinking of all the money you are saving and forgetting the quality goal.

Dec 02 14 09:39 am Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

Automation gets extra interesting with a stutter.

Thankfully, when you start cussing, you get transferred to a person.  Which is inevitable in my case.

'Please repeat the following.' Uh, no.  'I'm sorry, I didn't get that.  Would you like to try again?'  No, assistance.  'I'm sorry, you said donkey?'  No, help.  'Could you repeat that?'  Help.  'I'm sorry, I didn't get that, did you say helios?' Oh, g*d d*mmit, I hate this f**kin'.... 'Please stay on the line, a customer service rep will be with you shortly'.

Every. Damn. Time.

Dec 02 14 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

I will no longer talk with robots -- don't call me with a robot!

Ahhhh, it is so good to be old!

Do what I do, when you call and you get automation do not talk...the machine is designed to switch you to a human.

I also act elderly, some what confused and keep vary pleasant and apologize a lot about my being old, works wonders, everyone wants to help because they think they are speaking to their grand parent, and God they know that we know nothing about technology, poor things!

Oh, even though I am in fact dyslexic, I play that card all the time, works, works, works!

Dec 02 14 11:06 am Link