Forums > Photography Talk > Pocket Size Cameras

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I am debating between the Fuji X-E2 and the Sony A6000.  I want a small camera for doing street photography and travel.

Who has an opinion?

Dec 03 14 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I would get this if I had the need for a pocket camera. Still might. Better than 50% off:

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/12/01/its-c … 9995.aspx/

Dec 03 14 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Zave Smith Photography wrote:
I am debating between the Fuji X-E2 and the Sony A6000.  I want a small camera for doing street photography and travel.

Who has an opinion?

Take your pick...all camera companies make at least two models..

I prefer my Fuji X30.

Dec 03 14 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Who has an opinion?

I picked up the X-E2 with 18-55 kit lens & love it.

Dec 03 14 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Who has an opinion?

I just use my iPhone now, because it is always in my pocket.

Dec 03 14 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Take your pick...all camera companies make at least two models..

I prefer my Fuji X30.

Very tiny sensor (8.8 x 6.6 mm) APS-C is 23.6 x 15.6 mm. Quite expensive for a pocket camera. Fixed lens.

Dec 03 14 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Dan Howell wrote:
I would get this if I had the need for a pocket camera. Still might. Better than 50% off:

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/12/01/its-c … 9995.aspx/

For sure it is a real pocket camera, APS-C sensor, but discontinued by Nikon now. Then you got stuck with just one (fixed) lens. If it was a bargain on Cyber Monday, now $599.

Dec 03 14 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Images by MR wrote:
I picked up the X-E2 with 18-55 kit lens & love it.

The M-1 gives you almost the same, but no viewfinder for about $600. It is a trade-off - I gave one M-1 to my son as a photo learning camera.

Dec 03 14 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Who has an opinion?

I prefer the A6000.

I also use Fujifilm.

The bounce flash on the A6000 has a longer swivel while the X-E2 pop-out flash is very short, even if you could swivel it. The fingers get in the way on the X-E2 when using bounce flash. This swing up length is a great decisive factor when you want to use bounce flash of up to 90 degrees for interiors. The Sony fill flash and bounce flash system is superbly designed.
https://1.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000/images/front-angled-flash-up-001.jpg?v=3020
https://4.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-e2/images/flashbounce-001.jpg?v=3020

For both brands, or for any mirror less brand for that matter, think and decide if you really want an EVF or not, for Stealth Photography. The EVF on the A6000 sticks out from the back surface and snags on anything when stashed away. The X-E2 has a more recessed and low profile finder, so i would prefer the X-E2 for Street. I generally prefer using a camera with a slim pancake prime with no EVF for my Street Photography so it goes smoothly inside my jacket pocket. I like the EVF for most other things.

Dec 03 14 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I have the X-E1... Love it
Just got the X100T two weeks ago when it hit the shelves.... Love it even more.
Plan on getting the X-Pro2 when it comes out...

I thought about Sony but went with Fuji X series for two reasons:
* Dedicated Lens line-up is much better and plenty to choose from imo.
* X-trans sensor and processor, has no anti-alias filter and light received is unaltered. The images are closest to film depth and DR and look than anything I've seen but sharper.
* The ergonomics and real control dials are what I love and prefer, throwback to my Nikon F days. It really makes you want to go out and shoot photos.

okay that was three reasons... there are more but I'll stop there.

Dec 03 14 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Marco R wrote:

For sure it is a real pocket camera, APS-C sensor, but discontinued by Nikon now. Then you got stuck with just one (fixed) lens. If it was a bargain on Cyber Monday, now $599.

Still $499. Optical finder only $96.

Dec 03 14 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marco R

Dan Howell wrote:

Still $499. Optical finder only $96.

Link please?

Dec 03 14 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Marco R wrote:

Link please?

found one even lower

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Dig … B00BOZ1XA6

Dec 03 14 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Sony RX100 3 for a smaller pocket camera than the A6000.

Dec 03 14 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Thank you all for your input.  I am sticking with a camera that has an interchangeable lens.  I want to build a system around this camera.  While camera tech is still moving quickly, lenses less so.  Since I like to shoot with prime lenses, I can see myself slowly picking up a few lenses which I would keep almost forever yet maybe buy a new body 4-5 years down the road when ether this new camera wears out of a new body camera becomes compelling.

How the camera fits in my hands will be important.  While most of the time I just buy things online, I think in this case, I will head to a store and see how these puppies feel in my hands.

Dec 04 14 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Noncho

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Fuji and A6000 are not pocket cameras with most of the lenses attached.

Try the new Panasonic LX100, or even smaller Sony RX100/Canon G7X.

Dec 04 14 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Fuji X100S or X100t for pocket sized. smile

Dec 04 14 04:58 am Link

Photographer

analog light

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Ricoh GR
Pentax MX-1
Pentax Q7 (if you want interchangeable lenses)

Dec 04 14 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Marco R

Dan Howell wrote:

found one even lower

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Dig … B00BOZ1XA6

Thanks

Dec 04 14 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Marco R

Whatever you choose, make sure you get a APS-C sensor size. Most of cameras mentioned above have a small sensor. Fuji X-E2 is a great camera as Sony A6000. On Sony you will not be able to use a regular flash, and will be stuck with a proprietary connector, which i not the case of Fuji. If you do not plan to use flash, other than the in camera flash, then it will be fine. Also check for lens availability and price other than the initial kit, if you plan to expand your system.

Mr. Sony already chimed in commenting all the wonderful things about Sony and the bad about others.

Dec 04 14 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

It appears the Sony A6000 is on sale for $449 through the Sony web site, $200 off.

http://store.sony.com/alpha-a6000/cat-2 … 00-Cameras

Dec 04 14 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Neil Gratton

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

It depends on exactly what you want out of your travel camera ...

... but I absolutely love my Pentax Q7 (I previously had a Q10) as a travel camera

Image quality is OK - though of course the small sensor has limits - but I've got plenty of good shots out of it and - above all - it's a lot of fun to work with.

The manual focus 03 Fisheye lens is a thing of beauty; I've also picked up a quirky C mount 25mm 1.4 lens I use with it which give characterful images with the potential for shallow depth of field when you want it and costs peanuts (about 15 pounds / 25 dollars).

I don't use the baby Pentax for saleable images (IQ isn't sufficient in a broad enough range of circumstances), I use it for personal stuff and as a fun, lightweight travel camera.

Dec 05 14 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It'd have to be a really nice pocket camera to make me carry it in addition to my iPhone!

I think APS-C or m43 would be the smallest sensor I would consider.

Dec 06 14 05:27 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Marco R wrote:
Whatever you choose, make sure you get a APS-C sensor size. Most of cameras mentioned above have a small sensor. Fuji X-E2 is a great camera as Sony A6000. On Sony you will not be able to use a regular flash, and will be stuck with a proprietary connector, which i not the case of Fuji. If you do not plan to use flash, other than the in camera flash, then it will be fine.

The shoe on the A6000 looks completely non-proprietary to me.

Dec 06 14 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Ken Warren Photography

GLENMOORE, Pennsylvania, US

exartica wrote:
The shoe on the A6000 looks completely non-proprietary to me.

The a6000 uses Sony's new multi-interface shoe; it has a row of connectors at the front of the shoe that protrude slightly into the ISO 518 footprint. Sony claims mechanical/electronic compatibility with standard 2 pin ISO 518 flashes (and I've not had any problems), but you might have fitment issues...

Dec 06 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Dec 08 14 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Well, yesterday I went out and bought the Sony A6000.  The Fuji X-E2 seems like a slightly better camera, especially the lens line, but the auto focus on the Sony seems amazing and it was so affordable so I went for it.  $375 out of pocket plus some used gear that I had not used in 5 years.

Dec 10 14 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Blue Rose Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I just picked up the Nikon Coolpix A for under $500. Can't wait to use it on some upcoming stuff

Dec 17 14 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Happy Guy Photos

Upland, California, US

Who has an opinion?

You may want to look at the new Canon G7 X point and shoot camera. It has a fast zoom lens with a 1" sensor.

Dec 31 69 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

Palma, Balearic Islands, Spain

In my humble opinion, SONY RX100 iii
Hands down the smallest best camera on the market. I take it skiing with me all the time.

Dec 19 14 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

The Fuji X-E2 isn''t a pocket size camera.

You may want to vist their site. They do have some nice pocket size point & shoot cameras.

Dec 20 14 12:04 pm Link