Forums > Photography Talk > Developing film

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

So I live in the country and I'm on a septic rather than connected to town/city water and sewer systems. I would much rather develop my own film than send it out but have concerns over ruining my septic system. Most things I've read online say don't do it, some say such concerns are exaggerated. Anybody out there in the same situation? What are you doing about it? Any links to reputable resources or options on the subject would be appreciated. I've read kodaks "don't do it page" but there must be a way for me to develop film here without any problems..

thanks.

Dec 15 14 09:22 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think it was the fixer/stop bath that was the reason.  I still saw lots of people who did it and didn't have any problems.

Dec 15 14 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

See if there are still dentists or doctors in your area that still have analog x-ray developing lines. Ask them if they would be willing to accept your used chemicals. I used to do it with processing labs, but they maybe getting fewer. Ask around. Typically they have no problems accepting used chemistry.

Most towns I've been at have a doctor or lab with a treatment/recovery setup. The nice ones will accept my bottles of exhausted chemistry a few times each year.

Dec 15 14 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Fixer is your only concern because the silver needs as a heavy metal pollutant to be recovered. Yes, any decent lab/doctors office will take the fixer, it is money in their pocket and keeps the pollutant out of where they live. If ‘THEY’ won’t take it, then you can contact the silver recovery company, they will gladly take it from you ($$$$$$).

I lived in the country, no sewer and the water was out of a well. After th3e small tank that once a year I would open and dump Brewers Yeast into, I had a leaching field out into the property. It was the lushes and greenest place for miles around.

Most of the things you will find in photographic chemistry you will find in your medicine cabinet or your kitchen. Th3e organic agents are not good for YOU But your plants will love it.

Research was begun in 1928/29 to develop a synthetic alternative to leaded gasoline…by 1932 it was ready. But it took a long time to get it into gasoline. Gas now is a lavender to light brown, that is synthetic Amidol (2-4 Diamnophenol hydrochloride). You drive and burn it with the rest of us. Photographers Formulary will sell it to you by the gram. Photography can be soooo interesting.

Dec 15 14 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Thanks all! I was thinking if I reuse what I can and dispose of the rest elsewhere all that would be going down the drain would be whatever little was left coming out during the washing process... Definitely feeling like I could do this without any problems.

Dec 15 14 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Actually besides fixer, replenished developer gets processed. One-shot developer may not be a huge issue if you are a light user. When I do film, there's enough that one-shot is more expensive (10-30 rolls or 10-40 sheets). Plus the added issue of longer processing times for some dilutions and mixing 3.5 gallons at a time.

As a result, tend to use replenishing more. So the old developer and fixer goes in for recycling. You need to either track the number of rolls processed or use a hypo testing solution. The darkroom log tracks the mix date, number of rolls/sheets processed.

Acetic acid stop is not a big issue with proper concentrations. Excessive concentrations of acid will cause pinholes, but otherwise stop bath will not cause steaks. Only improper agitation causes streaks. It's important in large, high capacity lines and with fast developers, not as necessary with one-shot, highly diluted developers with longer processing times. Without it, excessively long water bath substitutions can change the shadow contrast and chemical fog in limited instances, but generally not an issue.

Dec 15 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

martin b wrote:
I think it was the fixer/stop bath that was the reason.  I still saw lots of people who did it and didn't have any problems.

Don't worry about stop bath, it's basically just vinegar. 

Anyway, acid stop in film developing is basically just redundant, if not slightly risky to your film, as it could potentially cause streaks.  Just substitute your stop bath step for a 1 minute water bath and you'll have the same effect.

Dec 15 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Are you on borehole water?

If you are then remember that what you put into the ground now you (or your kids...) will be drinking in 10 years time.

Dec 15 14 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Virtual Studio wrote:
Are you on borehole water?

If you are then remember that what you put into the ground now you (or your kids...) will be drinking in 10 years time.

But if Im not actually dumping anything down the drain and all that goes down is from rinsing, which would then go into the septic tank...you think i should still be concerned about that? From what i have been reading some people say that most household cleaners are worse. Is the bulk of the danger not from the dumping of used chemicals? Rather than from whatever is leftover in the tank and washed down during washing?

Dec 15 14 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Xanadu Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

We here in the UK , got Hazardous Waste management in each part of the country. Our local authority Waste Management recycling sites will collect any chemicals,  they either burn it at high temperature, or neutralise it.  All chemicals de composite at high enough temp.

If you Google your own government website, it should show you where to deposit your use chemicals.  Whatever you do, don't pour it down the sink!  It will find it's way to the water system ... it might ends up in your drinking water one day :-(

Dec 17 14 02:32 pm Link