This thread was locked on 2014-12-18 09:16:04
Forums > Model Colloquy > Why I dislike working with amature photographers..

Model

J O A N N E

Derby, England, United Kingdom

Firstly, these are my opinions.
Secondly, this is a rant.
Thirdly, refer to the top two reasonings.

Amature photographers, out to gain experience of course but why do so many of them act like such a big shot?
I am an experienced model, worked full time many moons ago, got loads of paid work and a full diary, gave it up to become a mother and didn't regret it one bit. Quite recently despite my hiatas notice I've had alot of interest for TFP work. So I thought, why not, good for a laugh and I'll be helping out the newbies...... wrong! Nothing like I've encountered in my earlier modelling days!

1. 'I've got this fantastic and expensive lighting set up I want to try' turns up, oh look... it's just a umbrella with some energy saving bulbs and yet you're using the flash on your camera??
2. 'Don't worry, I don't like to shoot nudes, my partner won't allow it' after an into the session, tries to pressure my into taking some layers off and continues to show me the distasteful nudes he took of one unwilling victim who he bragged about getting her drunk to 'relax' her.
3. 'I like to transfer sets of photos straight onto the computer'..... every 20 photos, moves into a different room to upload them onto an extreamly slow computer and starts bitching about his mate not turning up to fix it.
4. 'I'm quite nervous and haven't stopped chain smoking today'..... a 2 hour photo session and 6 cigarettes?? Are you kidding me! I ain't got time for that, and yes I counted
5. 'Sorry I haven't done your photos, my dad is ill', In fact 3 weeks after the session you've not even looked at them..... yeah I expected this one.
6. 'You're so beautiful, you have a nice smile, great legs, lovely eyes'.... please, I hate continuous flattery and compliments. Quit it already!
7. 'I'm ready to quit my day job and do this full time, do you know anyone that wants their photos taken or need a photographer for an event?' ummm stick to the day job mate, you'll be dissapointed!
8. 'Got all my backdrops ready' Yeah, I quite like the creased bedsheet look draped over a home made frame!

List could go on, but I bet you're sick of reading it now!

Give me a professional anyday, the ones I've worked with are amazeballs and would never have the same attitude as a amature, again, this is my opinion and experiences.

Dec 18 14 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Just Danielle wrote:
Firstly, these are my opinions.
Secondly, this is a rant.
Thirdly, refer to the top two reasonings.

Amature photographers, out to gain experience of course but why do so many of them act like such a big shot?
I am an experienced model, worked full time many moons ago, got loads of paid work and a full diary, gave it up to become a mother and didn't regret it one bit. Quite recently despite my hiatas notice I've had alot of interest for TFP work. So I thought, why not, good for a laugh and I'll be helping out the newbies...... wrong! Nothing like I've encountered in my earlier modelling days!

1. 'I've got this fantastic and expensive lighting set up I want to try' turns up, oh look... it's just a umbrella with some energy saving bulbs and yet you're using the flash on your camera??
2. 'Don't worry, I don't like to shoot nudes, my partner won't allow it' after an into the session, tries to pressure my into taking some layers off and continues to show me the distasteful nudes he took of one unwilling victim who he bragged about getting her drunk to 'relax' her.
3. 'I like to transfer sets of photos straight onto the computer'..... every 20 photos, moves into a different room to upload them onto an extreamly slow computer and starts bitching about his mate not turning up to fix it.
4. 'I'm quite nervous and haven't stopped chain smoking today'..... a 2 hour photo session and 6 cigarettes?? Are you kidding me! I ain't got time for that, and yes I counted
5. 'Sorry I haven't done your photos, my dad is ill', In fact 3 weeks after the session you've not even looked at them..... yeah I expected this one.
6. 'You're so beautiful, you have a nice smile, great legs, lovely eyes'.... please, I hate continuous flattery and compliments. Quit it already!
7. 'I'm ready to quit my day job and do this full time, do you know anyone that wants their photos taken or need a photographer for an event?' ummm stick to the day job mate, you'll be dissapointed!
8. 'Got all my backdrops ready' Yeah, I quite like the creased bedsheet look draped over a home made frame!

List could go on, but I bet you're sick of reading it now!

Give me a professional anyday, the ones I've worked with are amazeballs and would never have the same attitude as a amature, again, this is my opinion and experiences.

Amateurs are often better than professionals.

What you are talking about are beginners, with inflated egos.

And some of your points, many have been and are guilty of, at all levels of expertise.

Kudos for wanting to give back and help.

Dec 18 14 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Sorry you had a bad run there.  However, you shouldn't paint all amateurs with that broad brush.

Dec 18 14 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Amateur just means someone who doesn't do it for a living. And as someone who doesn't do it for a living, this generalization kinda hurts. lol

Dec 18 14 04:25 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Just Danielle wrote:
So I thought, why not, good for a laugh and I'll be helping out the newbies......

https://m.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a129584d655c414ce51cf0ed415acef2526863f179a06c7a0e6c655d733018c.jpg

Dec 18 14 04:29 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Just Danielle wrote:

Get them drunk with alcohol you say... thanks for the tip. smile

Dec 18 14 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Seste Proleterske

Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina

to become professional you must first be amateur. same goes for models. all of us here (models and photographers) have similar experience like you did. the difference is we are not talking about it because we take it as part of the job.

Dec 18 14 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

If your safety is not threatened, if this is your job, and if you get paid, I really don't understand.

Dec 18 14 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Yeah - Unless they do it for a living - - Talentless hacks - who should be shunned

Every

last

One

Dec 18 14 05:45 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

What I'm talking about is amatures not knowing what the the fuck they're doing and how to use their equipment properly, thinking they're gods gift to every model that passes through the door and acting like jerks. The point I was trying to get across is, it that I'd rather work with a professional that knows the right attitude, can deliver a decent image and isn't so brazen on how they get the models to strip off. Yes I shouldn't paint all amatures the same, but so far my experiences with them are not so positive.

Dec 18 14 05:48 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

Jason Haven wrote:
Amateur just means someone who doesn't do it for a living. And as someone who doesn't do it for a living, this generalization kinda hurts. lol

Hobbyist is someone who doesn't do it for a living and they can either be amature or experienced. Amature is someone who thinks they're going to make a living out of it and are new to photography in general.

Dec 18 14 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

J Jessica wrote:

https://m.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a129584d655c414ce51cf0ed415acef2526863f179a06c7a0e6c655d733018c.jpg

cute!   smile

Dec 18 14 06:00 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

cute!   smile

I know, it's the best and most relevant one I could find. Plus, squirrels are awesome.

Dec 18 14 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Photographic Adventures

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Just Danielle wrote:
What I'm talking about is amatures not knowing what the the fuck they're doing and how to use their equipment properly, thinking they're gods gift to every model that passes through the door and acting like jerks. The point I was trying to get across is, it that I'd rather work with a professional that knows the right attitude, can deliver a decent image and isn't so brazen on how they get the models to strip off. Yes I shouldn't paint all amatures the same, but so far my experiences with them are not so positive.

I could rant about amateur models, but I won't smile

Dec 18 14 06:03 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I could come up with just as many stories about amateur models.  But I won't.

Dec 18 14 06:04 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

Photographic Adventures wrote:

I could rant about amateur models, but I won't smile

Probably not advisable in the model forums, thankfully I'm not an amature so I won't get offended.

Dec 18 14 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Your stories are amusing!   smile

I am not a professional but I have no problems finding great models to work with.
Last month 3 beautiful models and I had a shoot party.  We all had a fun time.   smile

Dec 18 14 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

This doesn't read like you're describing an amateur but what's been coined as a "guy with a camera," using photography as a mechanicism to see scantly clad/nude women they wouldn't be able to view in person otherwise.

Dec 18 14 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It would be super awesome if photographers stopped whining on this post and actually let models talk for once. Things like this are actually helpful for newbies in identifying their own bad habits or crappy behavior.

If you read that list and your feelings got hurt, it is because you see yourself in the list. Do better.

Dec 18 14 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
This doesn't read like you're describing an amateur but what's been coined as a "guy with a camera," using photography as a mechanicism to see scantly clad/nude women they wouldn't be able to view in person otherwise.

+1

Dec 18 14 06:14 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Your stories are amusing!   smile

I am not a professional but I have no problems finding great models to work with.
Last month 3 beautiful models and I had a shoot party.  We all had a fun time.   smile

You may call yourself 'not a professional' but I bet you're professional when shooting?
Would be nice if more amatures didn't bullshit themselves into thinking that they're god gifts to models and acted professional

Dec 18 14 06:15 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

PhantomShots wrote:
It would be super awesome if photographers stopped whining on this post and actually let models talk for once. Things like this are actually helpful for newbies in identifying their own bad habits or crappy behavior.

If you read that list and your feelings got hurt, it is because you see yourself in the list. Do better.

thankyou smile I love how photographers have jumped in this post and tried to make me look bad, as I said, this is my experiences and opinions. I'm sure some models are shyly agreeing with me here.

Dec 18 14 06:17 am Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

That's because your work and your attitude are both terrific!

* bummed that I didn't get an invitation sad *

Dec 18 14 06:21 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Just Danielle wrote:
Probably not advisable in the model forums, thankfully I'm not an amature so I won't get offended.

It's also not advisable to place a rant in an Industry Forum either, but since you're a professional, I suppose it's okay.

O_o

Edit: And since your bio says you aren't accepting shoots, it seems as if you've solved your own problem.

Dec 18 14 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

That's because your work and your attitude are both terrific!

* bummed that I didn't get an invitation sad *

Thank you!!   smile
This was in the Arizona desert.  It became a party when a model bought Champagne and Moscato.
Unfortunately I had to shoot and run because I had to get back to Phoenix to return my car and catch a plane.

Dec 18 14 06:51 am Link

Photographer

derek268

Saint Austell, England, United Kingdom

Well said Danielle,you are describing a number of "photographers" i have known,and some that i unfortunatally still know. Please dont give up with the newbies.   D

Dec 18 14 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

If what amateurs pay you isn't worth it to you, then don't work with them.

Dec 18 14 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I don't know what I am, but I know I don't do those things LOL  Run from the noobs...

Dec 18 14 07:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Just Danielle I hear you and understand your frustration...  albeit please realize that the distinction between lens-persons might be better stated as commercial entities verses those entities who don't have to worry about meeting and/or exceeding client exceptions...  There is a HUGE difference between the two...  That said good is a value judgement for those who aren't on the commercial side of the equation.... While those that rely on their craft for a revenue stream totally realize that "good" is in the eyes of the checkbook holder... and either they achieve or they are out of the game...

btw, Photography per say isn't a profession, it is a craft... Photographers are merely service providers... That said there are "professionals" in the industry.... they hold a license to practice in their jurisdiction... and as such have undergone extensive formal training... Hair stylist, estheticians, and in many jurisdictions makeup artists...  I need my cosmetologist license to work in a salon environment... While photographers are not licensed... nor do they require a college degree... albeit commercial photographers nearly without exception have "Professional" liability insurance... so there are subtle shades of gray in the "status" equation...

Oft the metric used by many in the industry is "Publication" i.e. being able to have one's work acknowledged by the editors and/or art directors of major magazines... but again in a era of "self" publication this credential has become so devalued as to lack authority... And then there is "celebrity" validation... early on I was in a hurry to collaborate with celebrities thinking that it would elevate my perceived value in the marketplace... and for awhile it helped attain bridal clientele... but they are in reality "retail" clients... And agencies aren't as easily impressed since fame does not trump credentials nor expertise...

Just Danielle wrote:
...So I thought, why not, good for a laugh and I'll be helping out the newbies...

Just Danielle this statement is indicative of one with a not so creative attitude... Team synergy is an aggregate component of the creative energy that all players bring to the mix... if even one is lackadaisical it can/will bring down an entire team, trust me here.... after hundreds of sessions I can assure you it is real...  Possibly rethinking your initial mindset might be a wise investment here... 

Yes Just Danielle attitude is everything...
Those at the top typically always bring their A game to the mix...

All the best on your journey...

Dec 18 14 07:20 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

One should learn from experiences. Generalising single experiences isn't learning. It's just generalising.

Dec 18 14 07:37 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

J Jessica wrote:

I know, it's the best and most relevant one I could find. Plus, squirrels are awesome.

And very tasty as well!!:-q

Dec 18 14 07:46 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

salvatori. wrote:

It's also not advisable to place a rant in an Industry Forum either, but since you're a professional, I suppose it's okay.

O_o

Edit: And since your bio says you aren't accepting shoots, it seems as if you've solved your own problem.

It's posted in the model colloquy actually, and yes you read right, I'm not accepting shoots, well done for reading.

Dec 18 14 07:48 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

When was MM ever a professional site for professionals.

Dec 18 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Sometimes the truth stings a little...lol

Dec 18 14 08:00 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Just Danielle wrote:

Many models fall into that category as well.

Dec 18 14 08:06 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Just Danielle wrote:
It's posted in the model colloquy actually, and yes you read right, I'm not accepting shoots, well done for reading.

This is an industry forum.  If you want to rant, it needs to be put in the OT forum.

As for amateurs, there are those on both sides of the camera, so if someone is being unprofessional (as opposed to not a professional), then move on to the next one.

Dec 18 14 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Just Danielle wrote:
Amature is someone who thinks they're going to make a living out of it and are new to photography in general.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I guess if you're going to insist on misspelling it you can define it however you want.

I really don't know what about this surprises you. You said you decided to do TF with these guys to "help out the newbies." So you're not going to be dealing with the experienced, awesome people. As to the creepers, sounds like you need to up your screening procedure and be willing to walk on the shoot when they start acting strange.

It's sad that they apparently feel the need to criticize their mate/SO to a model. That'd be a solid reason to never work with them again.

Dec 18 14 09:01 am Link