whosjosh

Newport Beach, California, US

Dec 19 14 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

itsjoshuaphillips wrote:
...Portfolio Feedback...

Joshua, in the visual arts especially when dealing with portraiture and beauty there are "norms" that have become ubiquitous and for compelling reasons... especially portraiture...

I strongly urge you to study the portraiture of the masters who''s works have endured for centuries... 
They realized how to create a three dimensional illusion in two dimensional space...
Nearly every prominent university offering degrees in photography with have their students analysis those work intensively and explain why they are so effective...

This image reflects excellent use of the rule of thirds, and has superb color harmonies...

Albeit you need to flag the image in your port as +18 (Mature Content)
Mature Images - Defined
- bare buttocks (thong or not)

Other than this image your book doesn't reflect a solid grasp of effective subject placement/cropping... to the point that many of your images feel discordant and lack geometric harmony...   While I realize you may be endeavoring to make a "statement" by cropping out body parts and yes this can be effective in some journalistic circles but this is Model Mayhem... it's really about the model...

Hope this makes sense...
All in all a good start to your journey...

Dec 20 14 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

whosjosh

Thomas, I really appreciate your feedback! You included some great advice and I''ll be more aware of my intention when taking a photo. Is there any resources you would recommend that touch on subject placement? Much of what I am doing with photography is trial and error and self evaluation. I haven''t taken any courses other than an intro class, and that focused more on post than it did on capturing the photo.
Thanks again for the encouragement!

Dec 21 14 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Hare Photography

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Joshua, in the visual arts especially when dealing with portraiture and beauty there are "norms" that have become ubiquitous and for compelling reasons... especially portraiture...

I strongly urge you to study the portraiture of the masters who''''s works have endured for centuries... 
They realized how to create a three dimensional illusion in two dimensional space...
Nearly every prominent university offering degrees in photography with have their students analysis those work intensively and explain why they are so effective...

This image reflects excellent use of the rule of thirds, and has superb color harmonies...

Albeit you need to flag the image in your port as +18 (Mature Content)
Mature Images - Defined
- bare buttocks (thong or not)

Other than this image your book doesn''t reflect a solid grasp of effective subject placement/cropping... to the point that many of your images feel discordant and lack geometric harmony...   While I realize you may be endeavoring to make a "statement" by cropping out body parts and yes this can be effective in some journalistic circles but this is Model Mayhem... it''s really about the model...

Hope this makes sense...
All in all a good start to your journey...

Mr. Van Dyke - nailed it. I think your current look reflects what is popular in the social networks currently. Sort of a washed out look with pastel stylistic hues - an artistic approach that lacks some of the fundamentals.  Look up these photographers - Alfred Stieglitz, Annie Leibovitz, Yousuf Karsh, Brian Duffy, Patrick Demarchelier, Bill Brandt, Cecil Beaton, David Bailey, Richard Avedon, & Greg Heisler.   Some are still shooting but all are pioneers in the industry.  Learn the fundamentals of photography and study the masters - it will better prepare you to break the rules and develop your own style.  You have a great eye and with a full understanding of photographic principles you could be seriously dangerous :-)

Keep at the adventure - it''s worth it.

Best of luck!

Dec 23 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

whosjosh

Thank you so much Robert! That is incredibly helpful and I''m excited to look up those names! I really appreciate your encouragement!

Dec 23 14 09:40 pm Link