Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: Please DO NOT USE BABY OIL

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

Palma, Balearic Islands, Spain

1. It stains backdrops
2. It stains clothes
3. It does make most peoples skin break out, because it tends to settle and block pores
4. It is hard to apply evenly because the skin absorbs it differently on the body
5. It gives you a very streaky shine on camera... (unless that is the exact effect you want)

So unless you want to achieve the look of an aggressively sweaty sexy vixen, dont do it. Many people use oils to nourish their naturally dry skin after shower/bath, thats fine. Treat your skin BEFORE shoots, do not use this stuff AT shoots.

I advise: L''Oréal Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer

It looks absolutely natural and gets rid of blotchiness on skin - gives a natural golden glow and enough texture to skin without the oiliness. This stuff is amazing especially on those patchy legs.

Thank you. This makes the retouching SO much easier.

If you have other alternatives, please share.

Dec 19 14 12:54 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Should be posted in the Photography forum as well.

I have a giant bottle that I use. Lotion doesn't work for me. I gets ashy.

Dec 19 14 12:56 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

You buying?

Patchy legs. Hmmmm...

Dec 19 14 01:07 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

I usually use cocoa butter. It does a lot to rejuvenate my skin and also seems to prevent me from getting razor rash.

Dec 19 14 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i hate baby oil. we''ve used a mix of glycerine and water and also a neutrogena product.

i'm not a fan of rub-on tanning product either. it comes off on the sheets.

Dec 19 14 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I once gave a model an industrial sized tub of vaseline to cover herself in before I wrapped her in aluminum foil.  She made me buy her apricot bodywash with little scrubby rocks in it so that she could wash herself afterwards.

Dec 19 14 02:02 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I use olive oil. It is natural, vegan, and works.

Dec 19 14 04:14 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree with you, baby oil is never a good choice while modelling.

I like cocoa butter and other more natural things, if I use anything at all.

Dec 19 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

Any cheap readily available product suggestions to replace baby oil?, Ive used large amounts on male models to get that glossy sheen in the sun, what else can I use, a model suggested pam or generic cooking spray?

Dec 19 14 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

I encourage my models to use baby oil during the shoot. Helps bring out the highlights in their skin.

Dec 19 14 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Art Nudes

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hate the stuff, you have to wash everything about 4-5 times to get the stains out. It also rots condoms - that''s just extra info for you - nothing to do with photography. smile

Dec 19 14 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

$30 for a tube of the stuff....you must work for the company.

Dec 19 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

What about baby oil gel? Is that any better?

Dec 19 14 05:48 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Schlake wrote:
I once gave a model an industrial sized tub of vaseline to cover herself in before I wrapped her in aluminum foil.  She made me buy her apricot bodywash with little scrubby rocks in it so that she could wash herself afterwards.

You cook models now?!? lol

Dec 20 14 12:14 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

DAVISICON wrote:
Any cheap readily available product suggestions to replace baby oil?, Ive used large amounts on male models to get that glossy sheen in the sun, what else can I use, a model suggested pam or generic cooking spray?

Crisco.
Clogs pores and causes breakouts But hey... For art..

Why not have them throw themselves down and give you 20 for actual natural sweaty glossy goodness ?

Dec 20 14 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

DAVISICON wrote:

Go to bodybuilding.com and buy the stuff bodybuilders use to give themselves the wet fish look.  The stuff I''ve got is coconut oil based and doesn''t dry out.

Baby oil, sparingly applied, gives a nice sheen to the skin, but, as others have noted, it takes a bit of maintenance.  There are other products available, after sun lotions, body lotions, for example, which give varying degrees of shine or sheen, experimentation may be needed to find the one you like.

Do not apply stuff to the skin that has not been dermatologically tested, unless you are well insured.

Dec 20 14 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I shot bodybuilders for Muscle & Fitness magazine for over 10 years.

The only negative memory I have from those years is all the effort we spent for days after a shoot, wiping up baby oil off the walls where the models would lean against, the slippery floors, the stained furniture and creepy-oily handshakes from the talent.

I hate baby oil . . . . but properly used, it can be amazing.

Joe Weider (the magazine''s owner and credited for basically inventing and promoting modern bodybuilding) had an interesting technique of oiling up all these bodybuliders and then using his fingertips to make ''oil streaks'' that would pick up highlights and create shadows. He would ''paint'' on these streaks so they would look on camera as though it was ''vascularity'' that was showing through the flesh.

I understand that there are baby oil substitutes available now that were not in use 15 years ago

KM

Dec 20 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

DAVISICON wrote:

Try coconut oil. You can get quality coconut oil as inexpensively as $6/pound. It''s good for the skin, it smells good, it washes out of clothes somewhat more easily than baby oil and you can use it to cook your dinner too.

Dec 20 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Carl Herbert wrote:

Try coconut oil. You can get quality coconut oil as inexpensively as $6/pound. It''''s good for the skin, it smells good, it washes out of clothes somewhat more easily than baby oil and you can use it to cook your dinner too.

I did coconut/lime massage oil once.  The oil went rancid and I had to throw out many drop cloths and towels.  It also left a hard sticky film all over my new handcuffs.

Went back to baby oil with Aloe Vera which isn''t as tough on the skin.

Dec 20 14 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

hbutz New York wrote:
I did coconut/lime massage oil once.  The oil went rancid and I had to throw out many drop cloths and towels.  It also left a hard sticky film all over my new handcuffs.

Went back to baby oil with Aloe Vera which isn''''t as tough on the skin.

I don''t mean to try to dissuade you from using your aloe vera. Use whatever works. But your "coconut/lime massage oil" was not coconut oil. Massage oil products contain all kinds of stuff like emulsifiers and aromatic whatevers. Coconut oil is coconut oil. You buy it in grocery stores, and the labels list ''coconut oil'' as the only ingredient. It doesn''t go rancid, it doesn''t become sticky and most definitely it will not harden.

Dec 20 14 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

I have just looked at a three-quarters empty bottle of Muscle Juice which I found in my studio the other day.  It contains Soybean oil, corn oil and almond oil, must be quite a few years old (why the model put it down there I will never know), and still smells fine.

I also remember when baby oil was the recognised oil, and I also remember being backstage at bodybuilding competitions where the floors were slippery from the stuff.

Dec 20 14 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Carl Herbert wrote:

I don''''t mean to try to dissuade you from using your aloe vera. Use whatever works. But your "coconut/lime massage oil" was not coconut oil. Massage oil products contain all kinds of stuff like emulsifiers and aromatic whatevers. Coconut oil is coconut oil. You buy it in grocery stores, and the labels list ''''coconut oil'''' as the only ingredient. It doesn''''t go rancid, it doesn''''t become sticky and most definitely it will not harden.

The massage oil lasted me less than a year.  It would seem you''re partially correct; coconut oil has a shelf life of 3-6 years.

http://virgincoconutoiluses.com/does-co … il-go-bad/
http://www.skinnyandcompany.com/blogs/s … l-good-for
http://www.canitgobad.net/can-coconut-oil-go-bad/

Dec 20 14 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

J Jessica wrote:
I use olive oil. It is natural, vegan, and works.

+1 Agreed I only have my models use cold press organic virgin olive oil

Dec 20 14 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

After finding out how they make Olive oil, I aint ever buying baby oil again...

Dec 20 14 08:08 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I hate baby oil and always have. My skin clogs quite easily and is sensitive and baby oil isn''t good for babies even. I like coconut oil and mine is organic. I got it from Target next to the cooking oils.

Dec 21 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

IDiivil wrote:
I usually use cocoa butter. It does a lot to rejuvenate my skin and also seems to prevent me from getting razor rash.

Cocoa butter is good, however organic raw Coconut Oil seems to be better, and all of my post-pregnant friends are raving about its healing properties and evidence to get rid of stretch marks.

However, these are PRE-SHOOT treatments. Oil in general does not photograph well. Its very uneven and too unrealistically shiny.

Dec 22 14 01:31 am Link

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

DAVISICON wrote:

if CHEAP is what your looking for, and you want that extra glossy sheen - use Olive Oil. Works on guys very well and is easy to take off with a towel.

Dec 22 14 01:32 am Link

Photographer

KARELEA Photo & Makeup

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I shot bodybuilders for Muscle & Fitness magazine for over 10 years.

The only negative memory I have from those years is all the effort we spent for days after a shoot, wiping up baby oil off the walls where the models would lean against, the slippery floors, the stained furniture and creepy-oily handshakes from the talent.

I hate baby oil . . . . but properly used, it can be amazing.

Joe Weider (the magazine''''s owner and credited for basically inventing and promoting modern bodybuilding) had an interesting technique of oiling up all these bodybuliders and then using his fingertips to make ''''oil streaks'''' that would pick up highlights and create shadows. He would ''''paint'''' on these streaks so they would look on camera as though it was ''''vascularity'''' that was showing through the flesh.

I understand that there are baby oil substitutes available now that were not in use 15 years ago

KM

I worked on a "muscle" shoot before, apparently now using Castor Oil is all the rage. Its very thick oil and stays put, creates that super thick gloss - however it is also a bit hard to take off although the results are amazing. I think that oil should be strictly used for muscle definition. However, I a believer in a more natural look. No one ever looks like a glossy mannequin in real life - no matter how much they sweat in the gym.

Dec 22 14 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

eh...I, as many others here have said, have had good results with careful application of baby oil for years. While I have also used the product you linked, lotions with metallic or reflective glow properties are not without problems with uneven application.

Dec 22 14 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

It can be got out of background paper with blotting paper and a hot iron.

Dec 22 14 06:18 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

A mixture of glycerine and water has several advantages over other products:

1. It won''t dry as quickly as plain water, therefore you don't need to reapply often.
2. Applies evenly.
3. Excellent, realistic beads , when you lightly spray water upon a thin layer of it.
2. It is water soluble. Plain ol'' water will remove it, and it rinses off clothing very quickly and easily.
3. You can use a spray bottle, when mixed with 50% water, and because you don''t have to reapply constantly, one small bottle will last for a lot of photoshoots.
4. Easily found at pharmacies, and relatively inexpensive.

It is an essential kit component for photographers that need to have BOTH male and female models with a naturally sweaty look.

Dec 22 14 06:48 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

sounds like the consensus is that there is still no consensus

except, don't use baby oil, which is fine, cause that stuff is nasty.

Dec 26 14 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I prefer to NOT use a petroleum product on my skin - you wouldn't use motor oil on your skin. Baby oil is just motor oil made to look "pure", and cleansed, and is, euphemistically, called "scented mineral oil". I would hope that nobody else would use a petroleum product on their skin - ever. 
-Don

Dec 26 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

T A X I

West Covina, California, US

I work for a glam mag out in LA and we use cans of "Hawaiian Tropic Clear Spray Sunscreen" a day. It gets all over the place but really gives a HIGH SHEEN effect and it smell good. Main thing is to be sure to wipe everything down really well. Probably wouldn't use anything oily outside of glam/swimsuit.

Dec 26 14 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
Should be posted in the Photography forum as well.

It has, about a zillion times.

Dec 26 14 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Don Garrett wrote:
I prefer to NOT use a petroleum product on my skin - you wouldn't use motor oil on your skin. Baby oil is just motor oil made to look "pure", and cleansed, and is, euphemistically, called "scented mineral oil". I would hope that nobody else would use a petroleum product on their skin - ever. 
-Don

This is quite an odd statement.  Is there some kind of pressure group in the US which is pumping out propaganda against baby oil?  Or mineral oils in general?

Dec 26 14 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:
This is quite an odd statement.  Is there some kind of pressure group in the US which is pumping out propaganda against baby oil?  Or mineral oils in general?

No, but it's a well known fact that applying oil all over your skin is bad for it, especially when you consider there are so many alternatives that generate the identical result that AREN'T bad for you, such as a 50/50 mix of glycerin and water, which is what most photographers use these days.

Dec 27 14 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Kent Art Photography wrote:

?

Dec 27 14 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

no no no...you will not touch my equipment (camera) or put your fingertips on my monitor going over post shoot...if doing a shoot with oil or glys you will shower before you touch anything

Dec 27 14 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

It's made from real babies!!!!!!

Dec 27 14 09:51 pm Link