Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Looking for comparison of those two.
Did someone have experience with both ?

Also didn't find any grid option for Westcott

Dec 23 14 11:23 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Too bad you cannot see them both in person.  Since both use two fabrics for diffusion, I'd be careful as they sometimes use a poly fabric that has optical brighteners in them and using two will make your photos bluish.

I was reading where someone used very dilute fabric dye to knock down the blue, but it was on rayon or rip-stop nylon diffusers since those will take dye but not so with the poly fabrics that I tried to dye in the past for sundry things.  I have some old softboxes whose diffusers have yellowed over the years and actually come out better for that than the new ones.

Some diffusers can punch up the Kelvin about 500 degrees and two will likely knock you over 6,200K.  You can use WB to correct, but mix it with daylight at 5,260K (which seems to be Nikon's default for daylight) and you'll need to set up Control Points in Capture NX-2 to fix or using NIK Viveza 2 to control the color crossover.  That or shoot with them on overcast days.

Fwiw, I bought a large (86") Paul Buff white PLM to use as a diffuser and shoot-through and found the fabric is a bit yellowish and not the glaring bright white that most umbrellas are.  It actually came out to be about 5,250K on my Sekonic C-500 which surprised me with his 5,650K studio units.

Good luck!

Dec 24 14 07:58 am Link

Photographer

isaacimage

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GRMACK wrote:
Too bad you cannot see them both in person.  Since both use two fabrics for diffusion, I'd be careful as they sometimes use a poly fabric that has optical brighteners in them and using two will make your photos bluish.

I was reading where someone used very dilute fabric dye to knock down the blue, but it was on rayon or rip-stop nylon diffusers since those will take dye but not so with the poly fabrics that I tried to dye in the past for sundry things.  I have some old softboxes whose diffusers have yellowed over the years and actually come out better for that than the new ones.

Some diffusers can punch up the Kelvin about 500 degrees and two will likely knock you over 6,200K.  You can use WB to correct, but mix it with daylight at 5,260K (which seems to be Nikon's default for daylight) and you'll need to set up Control Points in Capture NX-2 to fix or using NIK Viveza 2 to control the color crossover.  That or shoot with them on overcast days.

Fwiw, I bought a large (86") Paul Buff white PLM to use as a diffuser and shoot-through and found the fabric is a bit yellowish and not the glaring bright white that most umbrellas are.  It actually came out to be about 5,250K on my Sekonic C-500 which surprised me with his 5,650K studio units.

Good luck!

Thank you for very informative answer

Dec 24 14 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Yarra

San Francisco, California, US

The main benefit to the Rapid Box is how easily it sets up and tears down. It's like an umbrella system. This can be very convenient, but it also makes it heavier and limits how small it can be broken down. I have the smaller Rapid Boxes for speedlights and while I love them, they are not near the same quality build as Profoto gear. Also, I would wager that the Profoto reflective and diffusion materials are more color neutral than the Westcott.

Dec 24 14 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

isaacimage

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Derek Yarra wrote:
The main benefit to the Rapid Box is how easily it sets up and tears down. It's like an umbrella system. This can be very convenient, but it also makes it heavier and limits how small it can be broken down. I have the smaller Rapid Boxes for speedlights and while I love them, they are not near the same quality build as Profoto gear. Also, I would wager that the Profoto reflective and diffusion materials are more color neutral than the Westcott.

Thank you Derek

Mar 13 15 09:27 pm Link