Forums > General Industry > Spokesmodel Laws

Photographer

Cassandra W Photography

Anacortes, Washington, US

I've searched online and can't find anything. I'm a photographer and recently came in contact with a new model that tells me she is a spokesmodel for another photographers company for senior photos and other shoots but otherwise will work with me if um trying to expand my portfolio.  What does that mean exactly? Does that mean I cannot use her photos I take for promo ads for senior photos and what else? Can I be sued if I use any of her photos I take in promotion? I want to know for sure before I schedule any shoot with her.

Dec 24 14 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Cassandra W Photography wrote:
I've searched online and can't find anything. I'm a photographer and recently came in contact with a new model that tells me she is a spokesmodel for another photographers company for senior photos and other shoots but otherwise will work with me if um trying to expand my portfolio.  What does that mean exactly?

that's funny. see here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/938054

unlike the sluggo discussed in that thread, they are sometimes called "senior picture" ambassadors. the just recommend their friends for their pictures; nothing much more. portrait photographers use them. unless you use her to advertise for senior portraits, doubt that there is a problem. don't know if they sign any exclusivity contracts; they may get free senior pictures or a discount.

otherwise it's employment contract law, not "spokes model" law.

Dec 24 14 10:20 am Link