Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Color changing white bed sheet

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I'm trying to change the color of a white blanket to anything. I've looked on YouTube but everything I'm finding doesn't seem to work on white.

Dec 24 14 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

White is not a color, it's luminosity. You can not change something that is not color to a color.

Dec 24 14 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Buzz Photography LLC wrote:
I'm trying to change the color of a white blanket to anything. I've looked on YouTube but everything I'm finding doesn't seem to work on white.

Multiply blend mode would be a start.

Another thing you can do is darken it down into grays, and then HSL 'colorize' it with a Hue/Saturation/Lightness adjustment layer, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7dLznX4RHs

Dec 24 14 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Kapture

Chicago, Illinois, US

This works for me.

1. Make a blank layer, and paint the blanket the color that you want.
2. Change the layer blend to Multiply, adjust the opacity .... maybe to 75%.
3. Duplicate that layer, change that layer's blend to overlay ... adjust the opacity ... (in my trial case to 15%)

I did it would blue over a white bed blanket.  Seemed to work well.

Dec 30 14 05:49 pm Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

Use levels, and play a bit with the channels. You can't change color of white ,but you can introduce color to white by lovering white points in R G and B channels. This will also affect luminosity.

Dec 31 14 10:53 am Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tulack wrote:
White is not a color, it's luminosity. You can not change something that is not color to a color.

actually you can! Creat mask(isolate bed sheet to it's own layer)...then use channel mixer,then adj hue/sat...voila   "color!

Dec 31 14 11:23 am Link

Retoucher

WSC

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

waynes world pics wrote:
actually you can! Creat mask(isolate bed sheet to it's own layer)...then use channel mixer,then adj hue/sat...voila   "color!

This way you changing luminosity first. It would not be white anymore.

As you can see, you can change white only to yellow, as you decrese luminosity you can change to anything else.

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10806214_10154942009210153_4723210222061360816_n.jpg?oh=9b6861145e477e57acf6d7960da12995&oe=5539B208

Dec 31 14 02:20 pm Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

Both of you are missing a very important point. And that is: Light dynamic within a color. This is why I said lower the white point. If you reduce lightness in non-linear way, you are leaving the white point where is, and that is not how red sheet looks like. If you're dealing with shinny sheets, then things are more complex, as you have to isolate the highlights and make them less saturated.

Dec 31 14 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

OP (who has abandoned the thread), glad I could help!

And thanks to everyone who re-posted my suggestions so many times; I appreciate the support!

big_smile

Dec 31 14 11:36 pm Link