Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Could someone tell me the difference ?

Retoucher

HugoESTOURNET

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I would like to understand the difference between :
IMG > Desaturate
and
IMG > Desaturate > edit->fade (hue mode)
(of course same difference with a luminosity layer).

I've seen the difference and still can't explain it to me.
What is exactly Desaturate ? What is the link with saturation ?

Thanx,
Hugo.

Dec 29 14 03:59 am Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

When you desaturate it will simply remove color, averaging the values by dividing the sum by three. Now, if we use the original color over this newly made desaturated layer, it won't look like an original image.

Now, if you go to fade an set it to any of the following modes: color, hue, saturation, it'll give a result closer to the original based on human perception of color and light, meaning it's not just stripping the area of color, but adjusting lightness of pixels as well. Blues are much darker then reds for example.

So desaturation at normal mode= averages the values by brightness and ignores the impact color has on luminosity.
Desaturation in color, hue, saturation= that is what we want most of the time. Exact in terms of human perception, NOT in terms of averaging the values in three channels within each pixel. More like G*0.59+R*0.3+B*0.11.

EDIT:when you're an idiot and not looking while writing. Thanks AK Mac. Switched my titles and explanations. smile

Dec 29 14 05:27 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

CLICK retouch wrote:
WHen you simply desaturate, it'll give a result closer to the original based on human perception of color and light, meaning it's not just stripping the area of color, but adjusting lightness of pixels as well.

I think you've got that the wrong way round

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/desat.jpg

Dec 29 14 06:27 am Link

Retoucher

HugoESTOURNET

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Thanx for your quick answers !

Dec 29 14 06:34 am Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm a moron, yes, yes! big_smile