Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 59 to 20 . . . OUCCCHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Looks like all the luck ran out last night  .  .  .  I will admit, I'm not much of a JW fan, but, I tip my hat to him for staying on the field after the game to congratulate the Ducks  .  .  .  now, what NFL team is he headed to?????

SOS

Jan 02 15 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

JW stayin on the field fur sure... even after a heavy loss.  He's out there suckin up as much multi-million viewer media coverage as possible... in the hopes of gathering attention from NFL recruiters, coaches and team owners looking to offer him MEGA millions.  He's dumb like a fox... wink

Jan 02 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I know of a certain local (to me) football team that needs a new QB and loves players with huge egos.

Jan 02 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

sospix wrote:
now, what NFL team is he headed to?????

Well, it depends on whether the guy who scored 59 points declares for the draft.

I've noticed that getting a Heismann trophy is no guarantee of success in the NFL.  But he will definitely go high in the draft; I'm just not sure he'll be overly successful, especially if he winds up on a mediocre team that can't protect him.

Anyone think that Johnny Football has been successful in his first year?  Does he deserve all those endorsement commercials?

In any case, I agree that it was classy for him to stay on the field to congratulate Oregon.  On the other hand, it was kinda classless for most of his teammates to leave the field immediately without shaking hands.  Worse of all, it was extremely vulgar for Oregon players to chant "No means no" to the Seminole's tomahawk chop.  It is just off-putting for me to see so much poor sportsmanship.  C'mon, Oregon -- don't you think JW in particular and FSU in general felt bad enough already?

Reminds me that I hate jocks.

Jan 02 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
In any case, I agree that it was classy for him to stay on the field to congratulate Oregon.  On the other hand, it was kinda classless for most of his teammates to leave the field immediately without shaking hands.  Worse of all, it was extremely vulgar for Oregon players to chant "No means no" to the Seminole's tomahawk chop.  It is just off-putting for me to see so much poor sportsmanship.  C'mon, Oregon -- don't you think JW in particular and FSU in general felt bad enough already?

Reminds me that I hate jocks.

I was kinda shocked that football players wold even know "no means no" to be able to chant it...  I wonder if they know what it really means.

There were disrespectful things going on both ways, not just after the game, which isn't unusual for kids that feel they are superior and are treated like royalty at their respective institutions.

Surely you've been around this site long enough to see how people love to rub other people's faces in "it" when they feel superior or that they have won at something.... then consider that these are just college kids.

While there is some good sportsmanship and there are some "model" players, these types of things are unfortunately all too common, especially in win at all cost environments.

It takes really exceptional coaching to get kids to figure out how to behave, both on and off the field.

Situation normal, and it isn't just jocks.

Jan 02 15 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
I was kinda shocked that football players wold even know "no means no" to be able to chant it...  I wonder if they know what it really means.

[...]

IMHO, this is painting with too broad a brush. By far the majority of student athletes go thru life without being criminal thugs. The vast majority are quite aware that no means no.

If you want to condemn someone-condemn the athletic programs at the universities that condone thug-like behavior from their "stars" because it puts money in the bank. Instead of a zero tolerance for poor behavior, they seem to LOVE to foster the "bad boy" image because it gets media attention.

Condemn pro league teams that do the same--- Any league that had ANY moral standards left would IMMEDIATELY terminate any player convicted of domestic abuse, or sexual assault....or any other CRIMINAL behavior. No second chance, no return to the league. The pro leagues should be populated by role models---yes---held to even HIGHER standards than the rest of us---if they want the big bucks, they should live lives beyond reproach.

Condemn universities whose "campus sexual assault policies" dont have "Call the police" as the very FIRST step. Instead, they have hushed up internal investigations---- wouldnt want to impact fund raising would we.

Rape and sexual assault continues because we allow it to continue. We continue to shelter rapists while we stigmatize the victims.

/end rant

sorry---it seems so clear to me what needs to be done. I dont mean to offend anyone.

Jan 02 15 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Interesting twists in the replies so far  .  .  .  see, sometimes college football CAN cause a meaningful discussion to break out  .  .  .  in spite of itself  .  .  .  wink  Thanks to all who've contributed so far  .  .  .

SOS

Jan 02 15 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

rfordphotos wrote:
IMHO, this is painting with too broad a brush. By far the majority of student athletes go thru life without being criminal thugs. The vast majority are quite aware that no means no.

If you wish to dispute my representation of college football players, go ahead, but to broaden the scope to all student athletes, who is the person painting with too broad of a brush?

I think I was pretty specific, not broad... and I would have hoped that it would be quite clear that it was also an exaggeration of the truth, not a literal statement being presented as fact.

I thought it was pretty clear and obvious that I was not making such a claim, but you're right, I should know better than trying to have a sense of humor on this site.

Jan 02 15 03:16 pm Link