Forums > Photography Talk > Photos not clear when uploading

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

It seems like my photos are losing definition and clarity when I upload to this forum and others, especially contests.
They are in focus out of the camera when I view on my computer.
I shoot jpeg with a Nikon D3100, kit lens and use photobucket as a host. Usually the only modifications to the original I make is to crop the image.

Jan 04 15 08:12 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

do you sharpen the image after downsizing?

also, web uploaders (especially Facebook) are notorious for doing bad things to images.

Jan 04 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Try setting the jpeg quality to 7 before you do the image upload.
If it is higher than that the site may re-compress the image outside of your control.

Jan 04 15 08:53 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

What to do is upload a high quality image to Photobucket at your usual settings, making a note of the file size. Then download the same image, and compare the size of the downloaded file. If it is smaller, the site is re-compressing it, and this could be your problem.

Jan 04 15 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Make sure your images conform to the Model Mayhem requirements before uploading:

Model Mayhem only accepts the JPG filetype. So if you have a GIF or some other wacky image type, you will need to change it to a JPG in an image editor first.

Photos must be greater than 200px in width and 300px in height, and 7kb in file size.

Photos must not contain more than 16 million total square pixels (e.g., 4000px x 4000px), or exceed 1500kb in file size. Photos wider than 4000px will automatically be resized.

Jan 04 15 08:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Top Hat Retouch

Larnaca, Government controlled area, Cyprus

Instinct Images wrote:
Photos must not contain more than 16 million total square pixels (e.g., 4000px x 4000px), or exceed 1500kb in file size. Photos wider than 4000px will automatically be resized.

Hello, I'm fairly new to MM and I'm also having issues with degrading resolution on my uploaded images. All the photos have met the requirements requested by MM and are well within the 1500kb file size and 4000 x 4000px dimensions.

What am I doing wrong?

Nov 01 15 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Instinct Images wrote:

Top Hat Retouch wrote:
Hello, I'm fairly new to MM and I'm also having issues with degrading resolution on my uploaded images. All the photos have met the requirements requested by MM and are well within the 1500kb file size and 4000 x 4000px dimensions
What am I doing wrong?

That's not the same thing as I see in the MM instructions:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules/images

Image Size Guidelines
-    Photos must be greater than 200px in width and 300px in height, and 7kb in file size.

-    Photos must not contain more than 16 million total square pixels (e.g., 4000px x 4000px), or exceed 1500kb in file size. Photos wider than 800px will automatically be resized.

Anything over 800 pixel width will be resized.  Your images are larger.  They're being resized.
(also make sure you're using sRBG colorspace instead of AdobeRGB or Prophoto RGB)

Nov 01 15 11:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Top Hat Retouch

Larnaca, Government controlled area, Cyprus

Thank you so much!

Nov 02 15 12:25 am Link