Forums > Model Colloquy > Would Jean shorts be acceptable?

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

To seek representation from a second agency, I was thinking jean shorts would be more flattering with a white tank top.
What do you guys think?
smile

Jan 04 15 09:54 am Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I don't know what agency you're hoping to work with, or what image you're hoping to present, but - in general - I think neither of those is the best to start with.

I'd suggest dressing stylishly but not overboard, to present yourself professionally, and bringing a physical (or - hey, it's 2015 - an iPad version) portfolio - to show them your versatility.

Your initial impression as a serious collaborator is equally as important than what you may have to offer as a model.

Jan 04 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I think jean shorts and tank tops are sexy, but some of these guys, who are in a position to judge, are very judgmental. I would dress very conservatively, but form fitting, (I think you need to show off your assets), but do it subtly, in my opinion.
-Don

Jan 04 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

_CSPhotography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

J Jessica wrote:
To seek representation from a second agency, I was thinking jean shorts would be more flattering with a white tank top.
What do you guys think?
smile

Jean shorts and a white tank top would seem "effortless" to the people at the agency.
I'd suggest things like:
1. Grey t-shirt with short dungarees and boho accessories
2. Stylish blazer and skinny jeans with minimal, but complimentary accessories
3. Shirt, tucked into high waisted shorts, accessorized with a matching belt
etc

These outfits show that you are professional, but they also show the client that you are confident, and organised. Whether you are meeting them in person, or are sending them photos, it is essentially a job interview, and choosing jean shorts and a white tank top, in my opinion, won't be as effective as other outfits

Jan 04 15 02:39 pm Link

Model

Nym Faea

San Francisco, California, US

If you can, researching the agency's clients and style is also beneficial. In general, jean shorts may be too casual. A friend of mine went to an agency that was all about the Gap look, she catered to that look, and got signed. For more high fashion agencies, I would definitely class it up more. I've heard stories of girls being sent home because they showed up in open toe heels (not sure how true that is). If you're looking at more commercial based agencies, then jean shorts might be fine.

Jan 04 15 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think if it were a Promo Agency doing Import Car shows and similar events -such attire might be appropriate

otherwise no

Jan 04 15 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

oopsie - double

Jan 04 15 03:43 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Garry k wrote:
I think if it were a Promo Agency doing Import Car shows and similar events -such attire might be appropriate

otherwise no

No, I Could never do promotional...
smile
I will simply wear jeans, heels, and at shirt, then, thanks.

Jan 04 15 04:49 pm Link

Model

gracie_lou

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Wear something that shows off your figure. Shorts and a tank are cool, grey/black tanks are great. Look up other agencies polas of their girls to see what they are wearing, to get an idea. The main thing is to keep it simple!
Best of Luck wink

Jan 06 15 03:26 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

gracie_lou wrote:
Wear something that shows off your figure. Shorts and a tank are cool, grey/black tanks are great. Look up other agencies polas of their girls to see what they are wearing, to get an idea. The main thing is to keep it simple!
Best of Luck wink

Thank-you so much!

Jan 06 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well if you want to sign with a fashion agency then I would suggest some fashionable, a street style look that is hot right now.

Jan 06 15 04:17 pm Link