Forums > Photography Talk > Amateur Photography Sites?

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Jan 11 15 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Dave McDermott

Coill Dubh, Kildare, Ireland

Have you tried facebook? That's where I meet most of my models these days. There are groups in different areas that cater to models and photographers looking to do TFP.

Jan 11 15 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Flickr is pretty good still though I don't go there much anymore. For amature photographers, the best learning site I've found is strobist.com. Another good place to try is meetup.com. Join a meetup group for photographers, models...

Jan 11 15 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

George Wong

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I meet people at events and conventions, then network with costume designers / clients. Later start asking around if they are interested in working together. Maybe look up meet up groups or social gatherings in your area.

Jan 11 15 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
Are there any good websites for amateur/hobbiest photographers that do it for fun and not career and mostly aim to do it has a hobby and at a irregular frequency? I sometimes find models I find on here totally expect this is my aspiration in life when it is really only one of many interests and they seem disappointed when they find I don't have a very percise method for everything from always being in good practice. Some models seem happy with my work but many are hoping for someone on the verge of having a studio to make it their life's work. Any more hobby oriented sites?

Models with high expectation or even demand on photographer's studio, top equipaments and too high rates are a strong sign they are amateus. I think you are actually looking for the opposite.

Jan 11 15 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

phantom of the light

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Are there any good websites for amateur/hobbiest photographers that do it for fun and not career and mostly aim to do it has a hobby and at a irregular frequency? I sometimes find models I find on here totally expect this is my aspiration in life when it is really only one of many interests and they seem disappointed when they find I don't have a very percise method for everything from always being in good practice. Some models seem happy with my work but many are hoping for someone on the verge of having a studio to make it their life's work. Any more hobby oriented sites?

uglyhedgehog.com is an excellent forum for amateurs.  Some of the hobbyists would put some of these pros to shame, and there are pros who are more than helpful for those still learning.  Some of the sections are really lame, but others are very helpful.
I might have misunderstood your OP, but its still a good forum.

Jan 11 15 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I don't know how it is for professional photographers but I've likely worked with 25+ people and only two of them have contacted me afterwards wanting to shoot again. One of those two moved out of state and the other wants to lose weight before modeling again. It seems I always have to initiate things. It doesn't feel like I contribute enough to a aspiring model's work if they don't contact me asking if I want to work with them again.

Jan 11 15 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Jackson TWJPro

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

froknowsphoto.com and lookup the youtube channel "Tom Northrup."

Jan 11 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a amateur/hobbyist photographer and do it just for fun.

I've found many models on MM,  facebook & Craigslist.   If you can't get a model off any of those to shoot with you it's not the site that's the problem.

Jan 11 15 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I don't know how it is for professional photographers but I've likely worked with 25+ people and only two of them have contacted me afterwards wanting to shoot again. One of those two moved out of state and the other wants to lose weight before modeling again. It seems I always have to initiate things. It doesn't feel like I contribute enough to a aspiring model's work if they don't contact me asking if I want to work with them again.

It's kinda always like that. Even as you move up the feeding chain, you gotta do some song and dance. It's more a matter of who you know.

Trying getting in with some MUAs. They generally know more models than you.

Jan 11 15 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:
Models with high expectation or even demand on photographer's studio, top equipaments and too high rates are a strong sign they are amateus. I think you are actually looking for the opposite.

True.

Jan 11 15 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

"Are there any good websites for amateur/hobbiest photographers"
Yes you are on one
MM is mostly amateur/hobbiest

Jan 12 15 01:43 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

You must start your own Local Camera Club of by gone days

Quite a few of us do it as a resource for additional fill income during our studio open schedules.
This requires booking several models to work time slots together with prepaid cameras buffs anxious to shoot and /or learn photography or how to go about working together with models.
Agreements with the models and % of pay for shoot genies vary as does limiting the number of cameras shooting at any given time but in general it is a viable income source for models and the promoters of the event .

Understanding from a bygones day

Non-professional models or inexpensive professionals were booked by agents to pose for “photographers” who paid a few dollars. They posed nude or semi nude for “gentlemen” with cameras.

The settings were often a pre lit,roped off portion of a room to keep the photographers, how shall we say, at bay. There were usually a half a dozen or so men and the occasional woman shooting photos at the same time. Typically, there was a bed or a chair, a throw rug and a night table.

The models would pose in the ways the men asked them to — on their stomach, leaning into the camera and, according to the photos we’ve seen, sucking their thumbs. (You get the picture.) But that was as far as most of the Camera Clubs went. By today’s standards, the poses and photos were actually pretty tame.

The Models’ arrival brought happy whoops, yells and whistles from the amateur photographers. Each of them had paid five dollars for the privilege of spending an hour or so taking pictures of nude women. The models were being supplied by the man with the oily hair and the chewed cigar who operated the establishment under the name of the “Sorry Charley Camera Club."
Both he and his paying customers knew what transpired on the platform was only a prelude, an appetizer-but it would serve it's purpose in whetting the camera bugs' appetites for more exotic an outre' dellghts. The batch of girls mounted the platform. They pasted smiles on their faces to conceal their boredom and, knowing full well what was expected of them, they immediately began to pose and posture-individually and in pairs or groups.

Some of the tableaux were merely revealing and titillating-second rate imitations of the kinds of poses to be found in photographic art magazines. Others bordered on the lewd and lascivious. Then, as the minutes passed and the photographers scrambled to obtain better views and different angles, the women's poses became more openly and uniformly obscene.

These variegated displays of nudity and muscular contortion seemed to satisfy the photographers temporarily. They continued scuttling about, aiming their cameras, clicking their shutters-but mainly peering and ogling the undressed females who were now crowding the raised platform.

Jan 12 15 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

You need to find your own models, for hobbyist work. The models on sites like this are looking to do it as a job, and they really only do TFP for a very limited amount of time before expecting to be paid.

There are plenty of hobbyist photography sites, but they pay little attention to model photography.  To get models for hobbyist work, you simply need to give an invitation to anyone you see you like the look of. A few will likely respond.

Jan 12 15 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
"Are there any good websites for amateur/hobbiest photographers"
Yes you are on one
MM is mostly amateur/hobbiest

May I PM you?

Jan 13 15 07:12 pm Link

Model

Jamey J

Dover, New Hampshire, US

Perhaps you should try to shoot with hobbiest models? They are on this website.

Jan 13 15 09:17 pm Link

Model

Jamey J

Dover, New Hampshire, US

Jan 13 15 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

May I PM you?

Sure

Jan 13 15 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Some times it is just about location.

I have lived in different cities and countries. Some places, even if not very big, people are often excited to try new things, have fun, and so on. So you find more easy people willing to pose for you even if they don't have experience at all. This is also good because models who charge will lower their prices so you can get some experienced models work with you for less than 50 dollar.

And there are places full of young and beautiful people but they are not excited to do other things than just keep doing what they do every day. Anything new or different is scaring or dangerous for them and their image ("what others will think and say about me"). And models who charges will ask for much higher rates.
In this case the only solution is to move to an other place if you don't want spend a lot of money on models and travelling costs.

Jan 14 15 11:13 pm Link